Tikka T3 300 WM modified Magazine length/ COAL

Cflan

FNG
Hi,

I am new to Rokslide and I am looking for some help. I recently bought a Tikka T3X in 300 Winchester Magnum. I did not realize that the magazine length restricted the cartridge overall length. It sounds like you need to stick to the SAMMi specs of 3.34 with the Tikka because that is the greatest length that will fit in the magazine. I have recently gotten in to reloading and I was hoping to be able to play with the seating depth of some of the larger/ higher BC bullets like the 190 and 210 gr. Nosler Accubond Long range.

My real questions is if anyone has been able to change the bottom metal and magazines on their Tikka to accept longer 300 WM rounds. Is there anyone making aftermarket products to enable this?

Thanks for the help!

There are a few options for drop in AICS long action magazine compatible bottom metal. My understanding is with those mags is that the length of the actual action itself still limits COAL, and the feed lips on the mag need to be modified to feed the cartridge on an angle for lengths up around ~3.8 to work properly. It's not terribly complicated, I found a thread on another site where a guy did it to a Tikka in 28 Nosler.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

FURMAN

WKR
The longest aftermarket long action bottom metals I have seen still limit the Tikka to 3.4". This has been discussed multiple times on here and other sites. If I am wrong I would love for someone to show me with a link to actually purchase the products.

OP
C

Cflan

FNG
Thanks for the info Rfurman24 and Pathfinder.

I have read that the metal AICS magazines are the easiest to convert because they insert flush to the receiver. It sounds like most of the plastic mags have to have some material removed for them to work correctly. Can you share the link that you mentioned pathfinder?

I found the Accuracy international AICS metal mags on Midway USA for the 300 win mag (Link: MDT Mag AICS Long Action 300 Winchester Mag 3.715 5-Round Steel Black) These mags are 3.715" but they specifically say that the Tikka T3 Long action rifles must use the 3.560" versions. I suppose that is still longer than stock, but it still limits how far out you can seat the bullet. I am with rfurman24. if anyone out there has done this conversion, I would love to get some more information.

I did read that Mountain tactical is going to come out with some new bottom metal to accept the AICS mags, but I don't know what size they will accept. Currently they are only offering it in a short action, but they say they will be releasing the long action soon
(Link: Tikka T3 AICS Bottom Metal)

Longer coal from the mag is not much help. Load up some lands touching rounds and try to eject them unfired. Ain't happening with 200gr Eld-x in my gun.

Bringing back this old thread. Has anyone made these modifications to their tikka to allow for the longer COAL? If so, any issues with chambering/ejecting rounds exceeding 3.5". Looking to do this on a 300 WM.

Clarktar

WKR
Bringing back this old thread. Has anyone made these modifications to their tikka to allow for the longer COAL? If so, any issues with chambering/ejecting rounds exceeding 3.5". Looking to do this on a 300 WM.
Not yet. Just waiting for my barrel to show up. I ended up going with the new mountain tactical bottom metal. Hopefully get this build completed this summer.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Not yet. Just waiting for my barrel to show up. I ended up going with the new mountain tactical bottom metal. Hopefully get this build completed this summer.

Are there any big differences between the mountain tactical, CDI precision, and redsnake bottom metals?

Clarktar

WKR
The mountain tactical had the longer COAL ability then red snake.

Hi,
I have been through a bit of a pain in getting longer COAL for the long action.
Mods I have done without a milling machine,
Using a Hardy's Engineering Hi Tec Tactical Hunter Stock (While CF makes it real light, having the Hardy's suppressor, biPod makes it rather front heavy) but the pay off for carry makes up for it.
I got an Atlas Works bottom metal. Had to take the top part off by about 20mm so that it sat in the stock. Also it needed about 1mm each side to make it thinner for the Stock.
Once fitted the next level of work was the Trigger. You will see quite a few videos about taking the front of the trigger back - about 1mm so that the back of the receiver and trigger sit flush. Tikka trigger sits about 1mm forward.
Next was the filling of the Stock aluminum. I took about 8mm off the front so it you can see the full Atlas Works magwell. It's easier if you have a Dremmel but I did it old school.
Thiers comments in here about the use of 3.560 AICS mags. I used my mate AICS 3715 but that was before I did the trigger and filling of the Stock. It looked like it will need milling the front of the feeder out. But I'm not keen on doing that without a smith who knows what they are really doing ;-)
So I got Magpul mags - they fit perfectly, however they take a max 3.500 COAL, I'm running 3.420 so doesn't bother me to much but will go longer as I start to stretch it out. Mags do need mods as I have now found feeding is an issue.
Because of a large rise by the front of the bullet the rear drops too much and the bolt will skip over the round. I have started to cut out the lip at the top of the Magpul mag - making it shorter. (Cutting the front) to stop it leveraging the lip to slip off the bolt.
With 5 rounds it seems to be OK. However once the spring looses its pressure with less rounds the round again tilt to high at the top.
I've seen videos where they mill out front which might be my next stop. But at least I now have a 5 round mag to shoot from and not single load it.
NZ's pretty crap at the moment with getting parts in as I'd love to get that redsnake stuff. But will keep going on this. Some fotos attached

Help,
Has there been any more updates in this search? Looking for a LA tikka bottom metal myself, and see that Red Snake Tactical isn’t available yet in LA. Are there any other options?
Thx
Mike