Tikka t3 7mag barrel threading

sdupontjr

WKR
I'm looking for someone to thread my Tikka T3 7mag for a brake. Dont have a brake yet, however I'm trying to tame it a little for my son. I have already put on an airtech but want to do a brake as well. You guys recommend anyone to ship it to or know of anyone in the south. I'm located in Louisiana. Thanks.

7EBCD0D6-EB61-4E6D-B885-CE5C7716173E.jpeg
Had my dads 6.5 cm done. Well worth it. Mine might be next. You would have to ship it to Missouri to use my smith. He can cerakote the brake or the whole gun it you want. Dad like the stainless that matched the bolt.

OP
S

sdupontjr

WKR
Very nice. Mine is stainless. That would be no problem. I'll PM for info.

View attachment 261110
Had my dads 6.5 cm done. Well worth it. Mine might be next. You would have to ship it to Missouri to use my smith. He can cerakote the brake or the whole gun it you want. Dad like the stainless that matched the bolt.
Looking at getting a couple of my T3s threaded for suppressors. The gunsmith I took mine to said they'd have to be 9/16x24 which extremely limits any options for suppressors. What's your dad's threaded?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

ahlgringo

WKR
Looking at getting a couple of my T3s threaded for suppressors. The gunsmith I took mine to said they'd have to be 9/16x24 which extremely limits any options for suppressors. What's your dad's threaded?

the OD of the that tikka barrel will not support 5/8x24. 9/16x24 is your best bet- from there you can either get a direct thread suppressor in 9/16x24. Silencerco makes those for their cans ( I have a 300 omega in 9/16x24 on my 06' tikka) or you can run an adaptor to 5/8x24 and fit any standard threaded can. You can also talk with Thunderbeast if you want a TBAC can- they have a couple different options to index off the face.

You can do 5/8x24 if you can bear cutting down the barrel enough to get down to a bigger barrel diameter. I usually thread 9/16x24 for the Tikkas, you can go down to 1/2x28 for more shoulder. I've done several 6.5's at 1/2x28, it's not a problem. I've even done a few 7mms and 308's as 1/2x28 on real thin barrels.

davsco

WKR
my tikka 24" 300wsm was threaded 1/2-28. i'd call around locally before the hassle of boxing and sending. shouldn't be that complicated of a job. i will suggest that you don't turn down the brake to have a seamless fit on your barrel. mine was turned down so much it blew apart the first shot! and btw i now have three guns with area 419 hellfire brakes, they are very effective.

the OD of the that tikka barrel will not support 5/8x24. 9/16x24 is your best bet- from there you can either get a direct thread suppressor in 9/16x24. Silencerco makes those for their cans ( I have a 300 omega in 9/16x24 on my 06' tikka) or you can run an adaptor to 5/8x24 and fit any standard threaded can. You can also talk with Thunderbeast if you want a TBAC can- they have a couple different options to index off the face.
Thank you for the info. The local shop that carries suppressors only had one can for the 9/16x24 thread which is longer and heavier than I'd like. I believe it was the silencerco, but I'll check.

You can do 5/8x24 if you can bear cutting down the barrel enough to get down to a bigger barrel diameter. I usually thread 9/16x24 for the Tikkas, you can go down to 1/2x28 for more shoulder. I've done several 6.5's at 1/2x28, it's not a problem. I've even done a few 7mms and 308's as 1/2x28 on real thin barrels.
Thank you for your response. I have one 6.5 and two 30 cals and was wanting to use the same can on all three rifles. Therefore the Smith recommended that all three to be threaded to 9/16x24. It appears as though I'll have to explore more options. Perhaps two separate cans with different threads.

my tikka 24" 300wsm was threaded 1/2-28. i'd call around locally before the hassle of boxing and sending. shouldn't be that complicated of a job. i will suggest that you don't turn down the brake to have a seamless fit on your barrel. mine was turned down so much it blew apart the first shot! and btw i now have three guns with area 419 hellfire brakes, they are very effective.
Good info. My 300wsm is the superlite and the other two are standard. I'm thinking I need to come to grips with buying more than one can as they'll be different threads between the calibers.

Sled

WKR
I'm looking for someone to thread my Tikka T3 7mag for a brake. Dont have a brake yet, however I'm trying to tame it a little for my son. I have already put on an airtech but want to do a brake as well. You guys recommend anyone to ship it to or know of anyone in the south. I'm located in Louisiana. Thanks.

Morgan at class 3 machining is near Dallas. He does a great job at a fair price. Silencerco sent me his way and I'm glad they did.