Tikka t3 bolt stop mod

sdupontjr

WKR
Picked up a Tikka T3 in .308 with a modified bolt stop that was lightly filed down. I have both the short action and long action mags. My question is with the long action mag, I tried to load some factory loads in the long action mag and had some feeding issues. It seems that the bolt wouldn't go quite back far enough to get behind the round the send it into chamber. Also, it seemed that the nose of the round kept getting caught right before it enters the barrel.

Could it be that the bolt stop isn't filed down quite enough? I would really like to just run the long action mag being I will hand load, and this will still give me the advantage of running factory stuff as well. If not, I'll use the long action mag for hand loads and the short for factory. Funny thing is that when I install the short action mag, it cycles flawless and the nose doesn't get hung up. Any ideas?

ID_Matt

WKR
I have the same set up in 308 and bought the long action bolt stop from Mountain Tactical so I could use long mags and seat my bullets out farther. The bolt stop seemed to work fine and cycles great with the long mag. You might look in to that

OP
S

sdupontjr

WKR
Thats exactly what I'm wanting to do. Seat them out a little more. My current Rem 700 was mag length limited. Mountain tactical, is that the name of the website?

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
If the bolt isn't getting behind the cartridge base with your long action magazine, you need to take a little more material off the bolt stop. Sounds like your factory short action bolt stop is already modified, and aftermarket long action replacements are available, so you really have nothing to lose trying to tune it up yourself.

16Bore

WKR
I was into all that kissing lands stuff....until I wasn’t. 😉

965D65F0-5FC8-4B8D-83F5-3C2F461F9CEB.jpeg

OP
S

sdupontjr

WKR
Holy crap, thats terrible. haha.

I'll try and shave a little more and see if that works.