Tikka T3 build vs T3x

I have been looking for a SS Tikka action for a build. I found a T3. Is there any difference in the T3 vs T3x when it comes to just using the action for a build?

Edit: the seller is not sure if it is a T3 or T3x. Whats the easiest way to tell?

Ram94

WKR
The ejection port on the T3x is larger and the bolt shroud is metal rather than plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
MuleyFever
Yeah, it was purchased in 2015 so its a T3.

So back to the original question about the differences when using the action.

Also, what would be the value on a SS T3?

amassi

WKR
Yeah, it was purchased in 2015 so its a T3.

So back to the original question about the differences when using the action.

Also, what would be the value on a SS T3?
The actions are the same, so no difference.
$300

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

khuber84

WKR
The larger port on the t3x makes a difference. My 6.5 prc T3 build doesn't eject for crap in my xlr magnesium chassis. However my 6.5 Sherman max ejects like butter, t3x action. The magazine in the chassis sits up higher than in a traditional Tikka stock, but in my situation the X solved a problem that I was fearing.

amassi

WKR
The larger port on the t3x makes a difference. My 6.5 prc T3 build doesn't eject for crap in my xlr magnesium chassis. However my 6.5 Sherman max ejects like butter, t3x action. The magazine in the chassis sits up higher than in a traditional Tikka stock, but in my situation the X solved a problem that I was fearing.
The original t3 also had issue with the short mags

OP
MuleyFever
I plan on using it for a 280ai so not quite as fat a case. Its a 30-06 now so it should be fine.

khuber84

WKR
The original t3 also had issue with the short mags

I've had 270wsm, 300wsm, and 6.5 prc on t3 actions, no issues. I do use long action bolt stops and longer magazines, maybe that helps? The 270wsm had no issues in factory form prior to rebarreling.

khuber84

WKR
I plan on using it for a 280ai so not quite as fat a case. Its a 30-06 now so it should be fine.
You going to use an aftermarket bottom metal to utilize a longer mag? Running the 280ai close to lands with sleek bullets will more than likely be over 3.4" which is as long you can go in a magazine designed on oem Tikka bottom metal. A 7 saum runs flawlessly in a long action Tikka with lightly modified mountain tactical mag, or the hells canyon billet mag. Shaen Rifle Works in California will open your bolt face up to magnun for a small fee.

OP
MuleyFever
I have seen a few people on here that used the Tikka action for a 280ai with the factory long action mags and been fine. Im not looking to build anything long range or magnum.

nacgoat08

FNG
Late to the party, but for future reference, I built a .280AI off a T3 action (previously a .270). I swapped to a CDI base metal and AICS style mag with little modification. COAL 3.380" and have zero issues loading/ejecting.

fishbeafraid

Lil-Rokslider
Late to the party, but for future reference, I built a .280AI off a T3 action (previously a .270). I swapped to a CDI base metal and AICS style mag with little modification. COAL 3.380" and have zero issues loading/ejecting.
What bullets are you guys shooting in your Tikka 280ai's? I'm assuming I wouldn't be able to run anything longer than 168s with the 280ai. I'm contemplating between building a 280ai, 284win, or 7saum on a t3(x) action.

nacgoat08

FNG
What bullets are you guys shooting in your Tikka 280ai's? I'm assuming I wouldn't be able to run anything longer than 168s with the 280ai. I'm contemplating between building a 280ai, 284win, or 7saum on a t3(x) action.
I've only shot Federal's 155gr TLR/Terminal Ascents, Hornady's 162gr ELD-X's and Barnes 168gr LRX's.

fishbeafraid

Lil-Rokslider
I've only shot Federal's 155gr TLR/Terminal Ascents, Hornady's 162gr ELD-X's and Barnes 168gr LRX's.
After rereading your post I noticed you went with an aftermarket dbm. I wanted to use the flush factory dbm. So I'm guessing the 168 LRX might be too long for it.

fishbeafraid

Lil-Rokslider
Today I lucked into some 7saum brass from a fellow Rockslider that lives nearby. So now the search for a magnum boltface stainless Tikka action begins!!!

grfox92

WKR
Rather than starting a new thread, I figure I would bump this one, to keep info on this topic in one place.

I just went and put 2 rifles on consignment at a local shop. They give 100% of the sale price to you in store credit, so I figure I'll order what I want from them. Easy.

I joked with my wife, 'watch they will have exactly what I want on the used shelf before these rifles sell...'

Well they did, kind of. There is a T3 Stainless in 300wsm for $650

I was going to order a T3X in either 6.5CM or 300wsm when my rifles sell. I know......they are verydifferent rifles, but they are for very different applications and I don't NEED either, I just want to convert over to all Tikkas.

So, I understand the differences between the T3x and the T3. Larger ejection port, lousy stock on the T3. Is everything else the same? The T3 works in any stock?

With the T3 I would upgrade the stock to a VG2 and the gunsmith at the shop will thread to 1/2 and use an adapter to 5/8 for a brake.

With the incoming UM bottom metal and the pending Modular bolt faces, and the availability of prefits my plan was to just switch to Tikkas. A 6.5CM and a 300WSM will cover all my needs. And then if I wanted to change things up in the future I could spin on a new barrel.

If I could get the T3 for $550 is it worth the savings? Or due to my long-term goal of taking advantage of the modularity of the Tikka, Would I be better off just spending the money on the T3x?

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here, just looking for opinions.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk