Tikka t3 hunter in 300 win mag

Snicolio

WKR
Looking to build a custom rifle. Have about a 2500 dollar budget and already have good scope. Would buying a tikka t3 hunter in 300 win mag for 500 dollars be a good gun to build with? If so, what are some recommendations on what to buy to make it a nail driver out to about 700-800 yards for the backcountry

AZ_Jake

FNG
Based on my research the tikas can be a bit tough in larger caliber options such as the 300wm. They have a short magazine length which limits your ability to load to the lands.

Zoo Keeper

Lil-Rokslider
If so, what are some recommendations on what to buy to make it a nail driver out to about 700-800 yards for the backcountry

Put that nice scope on it & spend the rest of your budget on ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scottyboy

WKR
I would echo the Cooper recommendation as it's within your budget with money to spare (depending on a few variables of course) to buy a box or 2 of ammo. I've had a tikka t3 hunter in 300wm and it was pretty sharp on the recoil. I eventually had a JP brake installed and it became tolerable. Also as stated above, the short box length will hinder you, unless you want to single feed them.

matthewmt

WKR
Have you looked at just buying a tikka CTR Or their chassis gun, Rest of money towards optics?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Not to pile in here but I "built" a semi custom 700 for 300 WM. By the time I was done I was close to the cost of a nice Christensen or something.

My one tikka is a hell of a shooter in 308. Apart from the dinky feeling stock, I think the best thing going for it is the fact that it is a good shooter at a reasonable price.

ams

WKR
The Fierce Fury is really nice. I went with a CA Mesa in 300 because it's a rem clone and there's a lot of aftermarket fun to have. The Fierce stock was really nice and the bolt was smooth. There's also the ridgline. The tikkas are 1/11 twist and the rest are 1/10 if it matters to you.

okie john

FNG
Based on my research the tikas can be a bit tough in larger caliber options such as the 300wm. They have a short magazine length which limits your ability to load to the lands.

The 300 WSM makes a lot of sense in the Tikka because their actions are all the same length. Just swap in a bolt stop and magazine for the longer cartridges and you're set. Even with a McMillan stock, Talley rings, and Leupold glass you could still come in well under $2,500.

Okie John