Tikka T3 Lite stainless 25-06

Not me...all my Leupy scopes on my rifles are missing an extra I that your guys' have (VX-II ;) )

Heck, that's the fancy version. My main killing scopes for many years didn't even have the "V" much less the "II". All they had was "M8" on the bell!

That said, I happened on a Conquest in a trade, and it did supplant the old 4x M8 on my main rig. Leupolds not for sale though.... not a lot of other sub 8 oz scopes out there that could replace it.

Good gun and good scope choice. Should work well for him.

Yk

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Tstowater,

I meant the 120 loaded full power. The recoil is pretty light.

I think the setup with the VX-3 will be a good one. I am not going to give someone "hell" for going with a Leupy. They are really good scopes, and there is nothing wrong with sticking with what you know works. I don't recommend Leupys often, because IMO there are better options for the money.

Leupold will still sell plenty of scopes. They are banking on this:

There may be better scopes out there, but Leupold will get my money every time.

I'm a huge fan of the 25-06 and also my 257wby.

But not a fan of an overbore in a short barrel. Both my 25's are 26" barrels one an encore(06) the other remmy sps(wby)
The nolser OTC ammo is second to none and the hot 100gr partition is something else. With that being said for a kid think I would go with the 7-08 just due to overal rifle length. Not only is the 7-08 a shorter action but doesn't need a long barrel. To me I wouldn't worry about finding a light weight rifle infact I think they would be better served with total package around 9-10lbs. It's the handling I would be worried about there for the overall shorter rifle wins.

S

Salmo-Priest

I bought my son the 25-06 Tikka you speak of. Loaded with 115gr partition it will handle those Caribou easily in a flat shooting light recoiling rifle. A great choice. As much as "MOST" folks would like to believe they are longrange hunters they aren't and even if they try the 25-06 with the bullets offered will handle your sons hunting needs just fine. The true longrange guys are few and far between and bust their ass getting good at distances wher that BC is gonna matter. My son smokes clay pigeons at 400yds with ease laying down shooting off his pack. That's plenty far and farther than most shoot their whole lives. So unless your son is gonna range it out 600-1000 yds the bullet that kills the critter won't matter much. It will be dead and not able to figure out it wasn't killed by a higher BC bullet. Muzzle brakes are loud and so are 18-20 inch barrels on compact youth rifles. He'll be growing fast. The recoil of the Tikka isn't bad at all as it's no true lightweight and actually a heavier rifle than most think. Not as heavy as most but no lightweight. A famous gun writer AKA Mule Deer has filled Arks on this continent and other such as Africa with the 25-06 and his go to bullet is the 115gr partition over all other bullets offered in .25. Not knocking the 7-08 at all as I'm a huge fan of the -08 it is simply awesome. But that Tikka in 25-06 is an excellent choice. By the way mine shoots ragged holes. The T3 is also gonna out shoot most likely any other outa the box rifle you can buy. No bedding no trigger work needed. Scary accurate rifles. Best of luck to you and your son on those Caribou hunts!!!

Last edited:

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
^ I agree^
One thing though is that I always use hearing protection so I feel like breaks are perfect for kids. They're not for everyone though.