Tikka T3 Lite stainless 25-06

I'm looking at purchasing a rifle for my 10 yo son for his 1st rifle and caribou hunt this fall. I've been looking at the Tikka T3 in 25-06. I don't have any personal experience with Tikka's or this cal. Anyone have this rifle that wouldn't mind giving me there opinion on it. My son weighs about 65lbs. and I am wanting to get him something with a fairly light recoil, yet large enough to adaquately kill an animal the size of a caribou. I don't think there's an issue with the knock down power of the 25-06 on caribou size game, my biggest concern is whether or not the recoil of this cal. coupled with this light rifle would be appropriate for a 65 lb. 10 yo...Thoughts??

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I would run that rifle in 7-08 for a 10 yoa. Load it with 120 barnes to start, and the cartridge can grow with him.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I'm with BB on the 7-08 over the 25-06 for a kid. I don't really like the bullets available in .257 myself.
I would also think about a muzzle break for him.

Shrek

WKR
Another 7-08 fan. I shot mine Saturday along with my 308 and a 7mm rem mag and it's a pleasure to shoot. I finally found a load it likes , 7/8" center to center at 200 yards with Berger 140gr VLD's. Now I have to pull it down and figure out the powder and charge I used.

I don't think there is a better all around round to be had for a young person to grow with. You have to be very careful using a 243 on larger game. Everything is at the margin with the 243 but the 7-08 has the bullet selection to handle it all well. Loaded down with 120gr bullets it kicks like a 243 but when they can handle it just up the bullet size and charge and you have all the power you would want in most cases.

Bighorse

WKR
25-06

I don't have much experience with a 25 cal other than two brown bears, a black bear, a caribou, two sheep, 20 or so deer, and 4 mt. Goats. It kinda works. You have to pull the trigger though.

Brownie number three might feel it's sting in a few days here. Lily is going over to Admiralty with me after her first. Shooting 120g Nosler Partitions it's a performer.

As far as perfomance for a beginner, that depends on the firearm and the amount of time behind it. With reloads and PLENTY of patient range time your child could learn to out shoot you.
Kids do fantastic. After overcomming the fear of the weapon their eye sight and target aquisition is very good. Good coaching of trigger pull and body posistion has worked wonders on Lily. I don't shy on the loads either. I want her practicing with what she will hunt with. At 11 she wasn't strong enough to do anything off hand. At 14 she is shooting off hand at 50 yrd targets. So my honest assesment is it's likely a bit much for your 10 yr old to get full utilization. With the loving considerate parenting and educationI'm sure you'll provide, it's gonna be a great platform to grow into as my daughter has.

Last edited:

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Bighorse,
I didn't say that a .25-06 wouldn't work. I simply said that "I" prefer other bullets. Having a rifle that you have confidence in is the main thing and the fact is that a lot of calibers will do the trick. Sounds like you've had really good results with yours. Good luck on the bear hunt with your daughter!

tstowater

WKR
I personal like the 25-06. I have one that I would consider a coyote, black bear, antelope, deer or sheep gun. Should work well for a caribou with the 120 grain Partitions that Bighorse was talking about. Practice, practice, practice. BTW, the Tikka should be just fine.

wk93

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up a 25-06 :). But for a beginner I would go with the 7-08 for the light recoiling factor and it's a very versatile round. My dad started me on a .243 then I moved onto a 30.06 once I got a little older.

OP
AK Troutbum
So is the 7-08 hands down a lighter recoil caliber then the 25-06? It seems that the consensus is to go with the 7-08.

tstowater

WKR
BB can correct me on this, but I think he was loading down the 7-08 in the 120 grain bullet to cut recoil. I don't have a 7-08 so I can't talk about recoil preference betweent the 2 calilbers. Personally, I would look at what else you are going to have the kid use down the road. If the plan is to go to something bigger with time, stick with the 25-06, but if you aren't looking for a moose gun in 3 to 5 years, then consider the 7-08. IMO.

Shrek

WKR
Why would you want a 25-06 over a 7mm-08 ? The standard bullets for the 25-06 top out at 120gr and have cellar dweller BC's. The 7-08 on the other hand has top BC's in the heavier bullets and deliver more energy down range. The inefficient powder burn means you get very little velocity advantage in similar weight bullets. The '06 case design has long been surpassed by more modern designs like the '08 and even more so by the short fat designs of today. Other than nostalgia there is very little to recommend the 25-06 IMO? There is nothing wrong with the 25-06 if you happen to own one but buying a new is about the same as buying a 1978 F100 for the same price as you could get a 2013 F150 .

7-08 fan here. Savage Lightweight Hunter in 7mm-08. Less than 6 lbs total with a Leupold 7x scope.

I can't really speak to recoil because the lightweight gun seems to hit my shoulder as hard as my old 30-06 in a 8 lb gun. Obviously recoil is going to be lessened with a heavier rifle.

The caliber performs well on elk. I would hazard a guess that you could do just fine with moose too, with a solid broadside shot.

Shrek

WKR
Any reasons you guys recommend the 25-06 other than "I like it" ? I like the 7-08 for its great bullet selection , efficient case design , mild recoil , compact short action . Stiffer action and lighter weight in similar rifles. 120gr to 180gr bullets that are solid for big game at reasonable ranges.

OP
AK Troutbum
I went ahead today and pulled the trigger, so to speak, on a Tikka T3 lite stainless 7-08. I plan on mounting a VX-III 3.5-10X40, then get the little man to the range sometime in the next week or two.

tstowater

WKR
Give me all the hell you want, :) I have VX-III's on all my rifles and love them. There may be better scopes out there, but Leupold will get my money every time.

I'm in your camp. My primary hunting rifle has the same scope. I know there are "better ones" out there, but I can't fault the Leupold for the money. Not going to argue about the Vortex's, Ziess's, etc.