Tikka T3 Super Lite 7mm Rem Mag Mountain Rifle

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Finally got my gun together and got out to Justin's to do some shooting at 100 yards. I figured I would lay out what has gone into this rifle as I believe its an excellent, affordable option for a lightweight gun.

First off I bought a brand new Tikka T3 Super Lite 7mm Rem Mag from Sportsman's Warehouse for $699. I took it straight to a local gunsmith for a muzzle brake as I knew this gun would have some recoil if I kept it as it. That was $217 out the door. Then I bought a EGW 20 MOA Picatinny rail for $45 along with the Vortex Precision matched rings in medium height for $120. Last was the scope. I went with a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP MOA. I paid $760 for it. So lets look at the total WITHOUT TAX.

Gun - $699
Brake - $217
Pic Rail - $45 http://www.midwayusa.com/product/23...ated-base-tikka-t3-matte?cm_vc=ProductFinding
Rings - $120 http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2420124047/vortex-precision-matched-picatinny-style-rings-matte
Scope - $760 http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-pst-4-16x50-ffp-riflescope-with-ebr-1-moa-reticle

Total - $1841

Lets get down to the fun stuff. I painted the stock on this bad boy as I thought the black was pretty boring. I used Krylon fusion to get a good tan coat (3 or 4 coats) then I hit it with Krylon webbing spray I found at an art supply shop. I highly recommend testing this webbing out before using it on the gun. Its easy to apply but it comes out different than you would expect. I should mention I totally disassembled the gun before painting. No taping off areas were required. This was a simple step that took a few hours and made the gun look awesome in my opinion. I am going to clear coat it the stock too. Also total weight WITHOUT ammo is 7lbs 14oz

Tan coating process

With the webbing

While the stock was off I lightened the trigger to as light as it goes. Not sure what the exact pull is but its pretty nice for a factory trigger. Next was getting the gun back from the gunsmith. This was about a 4 week turn around which wasn't bad and I am happy with the results. I really feel like this gun would have been a pain in the ass to shoot without the brake. Even with the brake the gun has a little bit more recoil than expected. Wear ear protection as the mother trucker is LOUD!

Once I got the scope and got everything mounted, it was time to send some lead down range. Did a little bore sighting and we were ready to go.

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
After breaking in the barrel and getting the gun closer to zero I had the best group of the 20 rounds I shot. I am shooting factory ammo for now. HSM 168 Berger HPBT. I think that this ammo will do just fine for what this gun is intended for but if down the road I want to reload, Justin said he has some loads that would work good. The best 3 group picture below was shot 18, 19 & 20 with velocities of 2836, 2777, 2812

Keep in mind that I only have 20 rounds through this set up as of now. The FFP is a little tough to get used to. I found the reticles are huge at 16x magnification. I will give it some time to see if I get used to them. If not I will probably get the same scope but in a SFP. The stock feels a little cheesy still but I know its playing a huge factor in keeping the weight down and it doesn't seem to affect the accuracy.

I plan to keep this thread updated the more shoot and the farther out I get. This gun is going to be primarily for bears with a deer hunt or 2 each year. In fact its first hunt is already booked for the first weekend of August here in the WA high country. Anyway, hope this helps out with anyone looking for a new rifle.

7mag.

WKR
Nice Brock! I will soon have the same rifle. I was going to change out the stock, but your paint job turned out good. I might do something similar. I will have to come check it out in person.

Liljozie495

Lil-Rokslider
She looks awesome man, I got to give your smith a call and get a break done after spring bear unless he can pump it out in a few weeks lol. Looks great tho man!

voidecho

Lil-Rokslider
That may be the rifle I get later this year (sans customization). Very nice.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Good write up Brock! I have a trigger scale if you want to measure the pull.

Brock's rifle is going to be a good shooter for sure. With some hand loaded 168 Berger classic hunters, I think we get it shooting 1/2 MOA or so.

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sweet gun, but what is the wieght of the gun? Super lite is less then the normal t3 lite ?

Yep, Its a little lighter. This is with the muzzle brake. 6lb 1oz

hapysu8y.jpg

Wrench77

WKR
Hey Brock I'm just curious what other factory ammo have you tried so far? I have the same rifle and should start doing some testing with factory ammo in the next couple weeks.

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey Brock I'm just curious what other factory ammo have you tried so far? I have the same rifle and should start doing some testing with factory ammo in the next couple weeks.

So far just this one box of HSM 168gr bergers.

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice paint job that looks sweet! Make me want to do something with my t3

Thanks Ross. The Krylon fusion only comes in a few colors I would paint a gun in but I would imagine if a guy used a primer first, you wouldn't necessarily need a plastic paint for it and it would open up your options for colors.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Man that stock came out nice. How did she buck with the break? Bet it was like a kitten.