Tikka T3 Super Lite 7mm Rem Mag Mountain Rifle

Clarktar

WKR
Awesome! Way to go man. Good job getting out to the range over the winter and sending rounds down range. I have yet to use that sled but hopefully soon! Hope you whack a bruin.

gethuntin

WKR
great looking rifle and shooting. hope to stretch the legs on mine this spring yet. What charge did you settle on if you don't mind me asking?

mt100gr.

WKR
I am a.bit under max at 70grains right now. It's shooting well and I am down to about a half pound of powder now so until I find more, I am leaving it alone and practicing with this. I just got my hands on a couple pounds of H1000 now so I am going to work with it some too.

COL is 3.29. I want to experiment with this some too but for now I am satisfied. When I gauged for seating depth I got five in a row readings for 3.31 to the lands so this puts me .02 off the lands.

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
This gun is still shooting great. 364 yards. Perfect shot. I'm shooting the Nosler Accubonds now.

I read the first page of this one some time ago. Have several really good long range guns (.308, 7mm RM, .300 WM) but they range from 9# to 14# and are getting tough to haul for backpack hunts.

Had a dilemma trying to decide between the Tikka and a Kimber for a lighter weight setup.

Finally pulled the trigger on a new Tikka Superlite 7mm RM last week and have my scope on order. Also picked up a set of the Talley rings and a Limbsaver recoil pad. Will likely just do a spray paint job on that rifle. Read all the way through the 12 pages on this thread this morning and really confirmed that I made a good decision.

The 7mm RM has been a long-time favorite of mine and I already have a Remington and Browning in that caliber so have plenty of loaded rounds as well as components for reloading.

MT100gr:
I have read good things about 4831 and 7828. Time will tell and I am really excited to get underway. Does anyone have any experience with the 154gr Hornady Interbonds (not interlock) for me it's an intriguing bullet that I have read good things about also. I think the bullet has been discontinued but I still see them on shelves now and then.

I have had great results with the 154gr Hornady Interbonds for accuracy as well as performance on game. Both of my 7RM's shoot the 139, 154, and 162 Hornady bullets very well though. My best accuracy has been with the 154's SST's over 69 grains of H4831 and a Federal 215 primer. Consistently get 0.5" or better with both rifles with this load. Started using this load for 154's over 20 years ago (before SST's, Interbonds, etc) based on a friend's advice out of the old Hornady book from the 70's. The new short cut H4831 performs the same in that load.

Not sure how many elk and deer that load has accounted for over the years with any of those 154 bullets but it is significant. I have not lost a deer or elk using or loaning my rifle out over 20 years and typically one shot kills with no tracking necessary.

The new 162 ELD's are looking pretty sweet and I need to get some of those to try as well. Also need to work up some loads with RL22 and RL25 to see how those perform. Still have about 16 pounds of H4831 to burn, though...

mt100gr.

WKR
FWIW, I have been shooting nothing but Berger's for the last ~300 rounds. 168 grain Classic Hunters and HVLDs over Retumbo or H1000. I am currently working with the VLD over Retumbo just for fun. I have had great accuracy and on game performance with the classics. Now I am chasing velocity. I would have no reservations in recommending a Tikka or buying another. Great rifle.

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Justin has been doing some load development for me. She is getting tight!

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also, I got rid of the vortex FFP and put a nightforce SHV 4x16 on it.

westcoasthunter

Lil-Rokslider
Thank, I got the Xtreme level rail for my tikka so I might have to check out there rings also.. brock do you have any experience with the vortex rings? How do you like them

gethuntin

WKR
That scope has been on my wish list for a while now. How do you like it? I currently have a VX3 CDS. I am still shooting the 168 Berger Classics but have the 162 Hornady ELD-X on backorder.

16Bore

WKR
About 20 minutes and a rounded off soldering iron will put some serious grip on the stock. I'll post a pic as soon as photobucket wakes the hell up......

MateoP

FNG
I realize your article is a bit old but it is fitting for me and I appreciate the input. As we wait for the weather to break here in Tri Cities my son and I went to Sportsman's last night to try and find me a light weight rifle for an upcoming back country hunt in Idaho this year. Being a bow hunter and muzzle loader guy I really do not know anything about rifles but the Sportsman's clerk showed me this exact gun and scope. So today after googling some this blog of yours popped up and it is great. Gives me some confidence and perspective into what I want to purchase. As well as the paint job is awesome. Hope I can paint mine as well.
Thanks- Now I ust need to learn to shoot the sucker!! "Aim Small miss small" right?