Tikka T3 Ultralight 270

WV Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I was making the rounds today for work and stopped in a local gun shop. They had a used Tikka T3 Ultralight in 270. The rifle was nice and light and looked ok, definately used. They priced it to me for $550 (no scope). I have heard good things about the Tikka T3's but I haven't done much research on it. Is that a good deal for an obviously used rifle of this model? I have had my eyes on the new Savage Lightweight Hunter in 7mm08. I have been getting quotes on new ones around $739. I already have one of the cheap 111 combo Savages in 270 that shoots great but I want to upgrade to something a little lighter and nicer.

What do you think? Should I pass on the Tikka T3 Ultralight?

I cant find anything on the ultra light on the tikka website, Im assuming its a t3 lite with a fluted barrel. If you were looking for cutting every possible ounce you could then it might be worth it but if you arent its probbablt at most 6 or so ounces lighter than a t3 lite. You can find used t3 lites for 400$ all day so I would say only worth it if you are an extreme weight counter.

OP
WV Hunter

WV Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
The guy called it an ultralight but there was no fluting. I'm guessing it's actually a T3 Lite. Thanks for the info. I don't have to worry if I passed on a good deal or not at that price.

swat8888

WKR
The only "ultra-lite" Tikka is sold exclusively at Cabela's. It's like 4-6oz (don't recall exactly) lighter than the standard T3 Lite, and I think the only difference is a fluted barrel...don't think they messed around with the bolt or anything else. Don't remember what I paid a few years back but $550 kinda sounds like retail for a new Tikka.

TwoTikkas

WKR
New Tikka prices have gone up about $100.00 a model this year. The last 3 I bought were between $529.00 ea for 2 blued and $549.00 for a stainless synthetic on clearance. To me,if the one in question were in pristine condition with box,rings,and paper work I'd say nail it! The new higher pricing on new Tikkas will undoubtably push used prices up as well. I wouldn't give $700 plus for a Savage personally. I'd let the condition of the Tikka and the difference in price between it and a new Tikka be my guide. I did the Savage thing a couple years ago and though good out of the box accuracy was customary,I couldn't fall in love with them. Sold the last 3 to the same fella.

$500 is the going rate around here for a used stainless Tikka in a private party sale. I can see $550 from a gunshop. Not a bad deal, but not great either.

The "Super-Lite" fluted barrel versions are sold through several major chains as "exclusives". The Cabelas version is fluted SS/camo stock, the Sportsmans Warehouse version is fluted SS/black stock, the Bass Pro Shops version is fluted blued/black stock. Might be some others I'm not aware of. Advertised weight for the "Super-Lites" is 5.8 lbs (5 lbs 12 oz). Other than the barrel flutes, they are the same as the regular Tikka Lite.

Yk

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Once you own a tikka it is difficult to look elsewhere for the performance they provide at there price. I have explored upgrading to a custom rifle to save 1-2 PDS but can't justify it for the coin I would spend. I will will use that $for other gear!

Last edited: