Tikka t3 vs Mauser m18

Jon S

Lil-Rokslider
New hunter I took out wants to buy a rifle. I’m steering him towards a tikka and he’s found a Mauser m18 for similar cost, 6.5 creedmore seems to be what’s on sale. I’ve read some online reviews, seems like a nice rifle for the cost, anyone got one and can compare or share pros and cons of each?
He’s shot a tikka, going to go try and handle a Mauser this weekend.
Thanks in advance,
Jon

Trr15

WKR
The ratio of Tikka to Mauser threads on this forum is probably about 1000:1. That says a lot. Im sure other guys will provide some additional info though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EmperorMA

WKR
The ratio of Tikka to Mauser threads on this forum is probably about 1000:1. That says a lot. Im sure other guys will provide some additional info though.

That’s because the Mauser is new.

In 6.5 Creedmoor, whatever feels best to him. If it were .270 or larger, Mauser wins, hands-down for the better stock.

I’d get the Mauser. They shoot great and are very well built.

schmalzy

WKR
I have both. Really like the M18 for eurooptic price. Mauser has a 5 shot 1moa guarantee.

I’ve got one in 7mm mag. The only thing I don’t like is that it doesn’t come in stainless and the molded trigger guard.

That being said, can’t go wrong with a tikka.

Can’t go wrong either way, but he can get an m18 for 400 bucks.

My partner recently bought her first rifle. Being a small lady, she was keen on whatever the lightest rifle she could find was. We went into a local shop and she handled a Tikka T3, Kimber Hunter, Mauser M18, and a couple of other rifles. We walked out with the Mauser M18, even though it wasn't the lightest rifle we tried.

The Tikkas are fantastic rifles. I've owned one, but I sold it to buy a Sako L461 instead.

My partner didn't like the bolt lift of the Tikka and the length of the bolt. Her hands are only small. This is the type of thing I've never consider but that's what she thought about it anyway. The bolt throw on the Mauser is really low and the bolt feels hefty in a good way. The magazine is also a better system than the Tikka, in my opinion. The trigger in the Mauser is also fantastic but the triggers in the Tikkas are great, too.

The Mauser is every bit as accurate as the Tikka as far as I have seen. It really is a great rifle and I'd buy one over a Tikka T3 every time if it were up to me. Since my partner bought her rifle she's killed a few deer and pigs with it and I've also taken it out a few times and killed heaps of stuff with it. It's functioned flawlessly for us.

Dhbwa

WKR
I have both, several T3’s. To me it’s really not apples to apples. The T3 is lighter, comes in SS and is proven. The M18 trigger on mine had creep that you don’t see in a T3. I fixed it but never had to that to a T3. The M18 is less expensive. I see the stocks and mags as a wash in use.
You can’t go wrong really.
BTW - my only M18 is a 6.5PRC which is why I bought it. It shoots very well...

SCSCHNUR

FNG
I have both, several T3’s. To me it’s really not apples to apples. The T3 is lighter, comes in SS and is proven. The M18 trigger on mine had creep that you don’t see in a T3. I fixed it but never had to that to a T3. The M18 is less expensive. I see the stocks and mags as a wash in use.
Hey man that's exactly what I thought about when I saw this Mauser 18 in 6.5 PRC for 479.00 and thought that would save my Tikka from bolt face changed and 6.5 reamer for 6.5 PRC which after work done and shipping the Mauser mt be the ticket. You say the m18 in the 6.5 PRC is a shooter? I have also seen the Mossberg Patriot Predator in 6.5 PRC at even cheaper price 350.00-380.00 What is your thought on Mossberg rifle?

Last edited:

Bravo6

FNG
Good stuff, any other reviews on the Mauser? I love my Tikkas, but I've been eyeing those Mausers for sale on EuroOptic

Wapiti1

WKR
Hey man that's exactly what I thought about when I saw this Mauser 18 in 6.5 PRC for 479.00 and thought that would save my Tikka from bolt face changed and 6.5 reamer for 6.5 PRC which after work done and shipping the Mauser mt be the ticket. You say the m18 in the 6.5 PRC is a shooter? I have also seen the Mossberg Patriot Predator in 6.5 PRC at even cheaper price 350.00-380.00 What is your thought on Mossberg rifle?

The Mossberg is a good rifle, but not as well finished as either the Tikka or Mauser. i.e. not as smooth. The ones that I've shot were accurate and functioned well. They are popular here to convert to Indiana legal deer cartridges since they are cheap.

Jeremy

SCSCHNUR

FNG
One reason I have been looking at the M18 is 6.5 PRC and price. I love SS but it is not a game stopper. I have a brand new Tikka T3x CTR 24" barrel I haven't shot yet NIB I'm thinking of selling and buying a M18 in 6.5 PRC if anyone is interested?

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the sauer 100 it has the same action and barrel I believe but a better stock and trigger. Plus you can get it in stainless

fmyth

WKR
One reason I have been looking at the M18 is 6.5 PRC and price. I love SS but it is not a game stopper. I have a brand new Tikka T3x CTR 24" barrel I haven't shot yet NIB I'm thinking of selling and buying a M18 in 6.5 PRC if anyone is interested?
PM me with the details on your Tikka please.

Xycod

Lil-Rokslider
Tikka is great, no experience with the m18 but it looks well made. Imo other than fluff there’s things I like better about the tikkas than the Sako 85. Just sold one,(85), due to ejection problems with the empty cases falling back in the ejection port. I ended up going with a Mauser m12 and so far things look great.

Liu_YS

FNG
PM me if the Tikka is still available. I've been looking to buy one.

SCSCHNUR

FNG
At this time I have dies, brass , bullets, factory ammo and extra magazine I bought to get started in shooting this though I haven't yet do so. Because of the Virus scare or real. so I don't know at this point in time. I would have to sell it all Especially if I changed caliber.

ktm450

Lil-Rokslider
M18 for EuroOptic price. Like many of you, I have a lot of different rifles. I own Tikka’s, Browning‘s, custom 700’s, etc...I bought an M18 for 399$ and it shoots lights out. The stock is nicer than anything for less than 1K, the trigger is actually adjustable (unlike X-bolts), and have been more than surprised with the quality/durability. It has become my goto ranch gun. Mine is a .243 and I try not to like it, but find that it is the first thing I grab when I need to take care of any task from varmints to deer size game. The bluing has held up well, but I would prefer stainless.

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
The good news is that @ $429 from EuroOptic, the M18 costs less than a pre-fit barrel. It's a bit of an eccentrix design, and I don't think there's much aftermarket support.

The good news is that you'd have to foul up really badly to make a rifle with a 5-shot 1 MOA guarantee for 430 bucks and not give the shooter their money's worth. The three position safety is nice/better. I prefer the Tikka stock because of the grip modules, but the construction seems near identical between the two. Both rifles are similar in weight.

If my wallet's doing the voting, I spent $600 or so on a Tikka.