Tikka T3 vs T3 lite

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
Hi,

I already own a Tikka M695 that I like, it's a shooter and hard to find stocks and accessories for so I have left it as stock.

I have been looking at all of the semi - custom Tikka's on this forum and have one question.

If I was to purchase this rifle, it's in 300wsm and wanted to semi customize it, barrel, stock ect. Will it still come out as light as if the rifle was a T3 Lite. Basically am I handicapping a future semi custom rifle at all by purchasing a T3 over a T3x lite or whatever other Tikka models there might be out there.

Thanks

Ram94

WKR
Changes made to the T3X from the T3:

Modular stock (grip and forend)
Metal bolt shroud
Steel recoil lug
Enlarged ejection port

So depending on how "semi custom" you are looking to go, some of these wont make a difference. I had a T3 that I had the ejection port milled to match a T3X so even that is do-able, though definitely not necessary.

OP
P

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
Changes made to the T3X from the T3:

Modular stock (grip and forend)
Metal bolt shroud
Steel recoil lug
Enlarged ejection port

So depending on how "semi custom" you are looking to go, some of these wont make a difference. I had a T3 that I had the ejection port milled to match a T3X so even that is do-able, though definitely not necessary.

Modular stock (So obviously the stock doesn't make a difference if I replace it.)
Metal bolt shroud. (I believe aftermarket can be purchased?)
Steel recoil lug. (Not an issue if replacing the stock?)
Enlarged ejection port, was there a issue or just enough of a preference that they made the change?

Thanks!

Ohearchai

FNG
I had a Tikka t3 stainless lite in 270wsm, about 6 1/2 lbs, rifle only. Over the years it has seen some little changes, metal shroud, changed bokt handle, bolt stop etc. No real weight change. This year I decided to use some of the pieces I had lying around. Changed out the stock to a cf, no real weight savings over factory but definitely more ergonomic, went with a metal dbm, and Hells canyon billet mag, biggest change was the barrel, used what I had on hand which was a 25 inch barrel with a substantially bigger profile than the factory barrel, I suppose the rifle is in the 8lb range now. Obviously a lighter contour, or even a cf barrel more appropriate for hunting would have saved some weight. Great rifles whatever you do with it.

Ram94

WKR
Modular stock (So obviously the stock doesn't make a difference if I replace it.)
Metal bolt shroud. (I believe aftermarket can be purchased?)
Steel recoil lug. (Not an issue if replacing the stock?)
Enlarged ejection port, was there a issue or just enough of a preference that they made the change?

Thanks!

Aftermarket shroud and lug can be purchased, you bet. The ejection port on the T3 apparently had the odd issue of not ejecting certain cartridges well and then hitting the windage knob. Not an issue for most standard chamberings from what I understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dhbwa

WKR
BTW - T3 and T3 lite are same same.... Tikka put “lite” on the shipping box but the rifle inside is a T3. The T3X has the differences noted.

Lite is just Tikka speak for a crappy plastic stock. No other differences . The super lite has the same aforementioned crappy plastic stock and the same barrel profile except fluted. As far as I know there are only two Tikka barrel contours, varmint and sporter

Dhbwa

WKR
What’s a better factory stock on a $600 rifle?
I and a few rifleman would disagree they are crappy....I know why I think that way but wonder why you have an opposing opinion...

There probably isn’t a less crappy plastic stock on a $600 rifle and many much worse, however they still fall far short of a decent composite stock. My main issues with them are a lack of rigidity, poor geometry, and on every one of the T3X’s I’ve seen and owned the moulded in action inlet has been offset to the left causing the barrel to contact the fore end, which may seem fairly rigid at first until the pressure point located midway is removed. It is also difficult and really not worth bedding a plastic stock.

Hi,

I already own a Tikka M695 that I like, it's a shooter and hard to find stocks and accessories for so I have left it as stock.

I have been looking at all of the semi - custom Tikka's on this forum and have one question.

If I was to purchase this rifle, it's in 300wsm and wanted to semi customize it, barrel, stock ect. Will it still come out as light as if the rifle was a T3 Lite. Basically am I handicapping a future semi custom rifle at all by purchasing a T3 over a T3x lite or whatever other Tikka models there might be out there.

Thanks

Just tossing out my $0.02. Tikkas are great guns. I own two and they are shooters. I think the real shine of the platform is how well it performs at a lower price than most. If you want to tinker or have a project go right ahead. However, I ended up dumping a bunch of $$$ into a 700 and it still isn’t the gun want. At the end of the day, I would have been better off to spend the money on a much higher end rifle. Just a thought.

eightyeight mag

Lil-Rokslider
Lite is just Tikka speak for a crappy plastic stock. No other differences . The super lite has the same aforementioned crappy plastic stock and the same barrel profile except fluted. As far as I know there are only two Tikka barrel contours, varmint and sporter

There is also the CTR barrel profile. A bit thinner than the varmint.

Could be wrong here but me kinda thinks there may be another contour in the veil models also (assuming the specs on their website are correct). For example the veil alpine in 308 w/ a 22" tube weighs in @ 6.7# while the standard t3x lite shows 6.4... Meanwhile the barrel/bolt on the veil are fluted which should have reduced it further unless the larger bolt knob and brake make up that much weight?

Dhbwa

WKR
It isn’t just me that thinks the T3 stock isn’t junk..

From Shaen Rifles
“Factory ones are great. 27oz, stiff, full of fiberglass when you grind into them. People think they're cheap but I don't agree. “

From Formidilosus

OP
P

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
Just tossing out my $0.02. Tikkas are great guns. I own two and they are shooters. I think the real shine of the platform is how well it performs at a lower price than most. If you want to tinker or have a project go right ahead. However, I ended up dumping a bunch of $$$ into a 700 and it still isn’t the gun want. At the end of the day, I would have been better off to spend the money on a much higher end rifle. Just a thought.

I am considering that. At the end of the day I would be comparing building up a Tikka T3 with barrel, stock and bottom metal, similar to what OMR does. The issue for me is that I would like to get into a .280ai, 6.5 PRC or 330wsm. But I also want to keep the barrel close to 22 inches. I hunt in the mountains all day and the rifle is in my hands the whole day, it's rarely on my pack unless I have a animal or it isn't shooting light yet.

But if the overall cost of such a build comes close to the cost of a Proof Elevation or similar type rifles I could see me just going that direction. I'm also in Canada so that makes access to a lot of items a little harder and more expensive.

Last edited:

XR357

FNG
As noted above I think a lot of times there is wisdom in look at what your total budget is and what else you could get after all your customizing is done. That being said I’ve done several of the mods you’ve mentioned on various Tikkas and they come out pretty darn good when all is said and done.