Tikka T3x 300 WinMag - Why the 24" barrel with 1:11 twist?

Gvanwage

FNG
Someone please school me on this!

I am in the market for a 300 WinMag and totally new to the caliber/cartridge. I love the Look, feel, action, and price of the Tikka T3x. However, doing some research the T3x comes with a barrel that is a little more than 24” long with a 1:11 twist.

It looks like most 300 WinMag barrels come in 24 inch or 26 inch and I’m guessing that is just preference to the hunter/shooter (although many say the mags really need the longer 26 barrels). My main question is why the 1:11 twist? Most people seem to say that 1:10 twist or less is best for 300wm mainly for stabilizing the heavier grain bullets at longer ranges.

Why did Tikka do this, am i over thinking the utility of the rifle and wanting the capability to shoot the the 200+ grain bullets? Realistically, i probably will never go on a grizzly or moose hunt but when comparing to competitors, the Tikka deals like its at a disadvantage with this. Like i said, school me
biggrin.png

Someone please school me on this!

I am in the market for a 300 WinMag and totally new to the caliber/cartridge. I love the Look, feel, action, and price of the Tikka T3x. However, doing some research the T3x comes with a barrel that is a little more than 24” long with a 1:11 twist.

It looks like most 300 WinMag barrels come in 24 inch or 26 inch and I’m guessing that is just preference to the hunter/shooter (although many say the mags really need the longer 26 barrels). My main question is why the 1:11 twist? Most people seem to say that 1:10 twist or less is best for 300wm mainly for stabilizing the heavier grain bullets at longer ranges.

Why did Tikka do this, am i over thinking the utility of the rifle and wanting the capability to shoot the the 200+ grain bullets? Realistically, i probably will never go on a grizzly or moose hunt but when comparing to competitors, the Tikka deals like its at a disadvantage with this. Like i said, school me
biggrin.png

So heres the deal - it is at a disadvantage with this if you're looking to shoot heavies.

For the average joe shooting average factory stuff at average distances, it isn't going to make a measurable difference... but then again, most average joes would do just fine with a 30-06 at average distances... but thats not the question at hand.

If your intent is to shoot greater distances(and in my opinion it should be if you're buying a magnum), then you're going to want to shoot big heavy long bullets. The 11 twist barrel won't stabilize them(not to mention the magazine is small).

Is it stupid? absolutely. About the only thing Tikka is getting right is the twist on the creedmoor. I think they'd have a killer product if they just updated all their twist rates. Even Browning is getting it right, Tikka needs to get on board.

hodgeman

WKR
Tikka twists all their .30 cal barrels at 1:11 and it works with all common bullet weights. 150-180gr.

The heavier than normal bullets that look like javelins are a pretty new wrinkle in most bore diameters. My Tikka in .300 stabilized 180s just fine and I never felt the need to go with a heavier bullet to do what I needed to get done. A 180gr at 2950fps solves most ballistic equations for much further than most people can even shoot.

It doesn't make sense for them to market an economy rifle to all the 1%er's out there.

AirborneEScouter

Lil-Rokslider
If you want to handload the heavy bullets I would steer you in another direction. Factory mag in 300wm is limiting, and if you’re like me and won’t settle for what the gun is, you’ll wind up spending more on aftermarket parts than you otherwise would have to. Great gun and does what it’s supposed to, but I couldn't settle for the magazine limitations. Wound up rebarreling too because what the heck why not. But it is perfectly fine for factory ammo. Shot 200 gr hornady eldx sub moa for me. I just like to tinker

Tikka twists all their .30 cal barrels at 1:11 and it works with all common bullet weights. 150-180gr.

The heavier than normal bullets that look like javelins are a pretty new wrinkle in most bore diameters. My Tikka in .300 stabilized 180s just fine and I never felt the need to go with a heavier bullet to do what I needed to get done. A 180gr at 2950fps solves most ballistic equations for much further than most people can even shoot.

It doesn't make sense for them to market an economy rifle to all the 1%er's out there.

That was my point with the 30-06 comment - if all you’re doing is shooting animals at average ranges the 30-06 connects more dots than people realize a lot cheaper and easier on the shoulder than the big magnums do.

As far as the twist rates - I wouldn’t consider the Tikka to be an economy/value rifle. It ain’t high end but it’s surely more than the Ruger/Savage fodder - it wouldn’t hurt to speed up some of the twist rates.

208gr amax and eld-m stabilized down at about 2500fps.

As a whole the twist rate/mag box isn't ideal

but I'd more lean towards a 6.25lb rifle being too light to be lighting off 200gr bullets in front of 70+ grains of powder.

That was my point with the 30-06 comment - if all you’re doing is shooting animals at average ranges the 30-06 connects more dots than people realize a lot cheaper and easier on the shoulder than the big magnums do.

As far as the twist rates - I wouldn’t consider the Tikka to be an economy/value rifle. It ain’t high end but it’s surely more than the Ruger/Savage fodder - it wouldn’t hurt to speed up some of the twist rates.

Love my tikka 30-06! I always wondered why it likes 150 and 165gr bullets much better than any 180gr I’ve tried. Kind of makes me want to tinker around with it. But then I tell myself, just shut up and shoot it, it’s sub MOA all day..

FishfinderAK

Lil-Rokslider
I just start reloading 6 weeks ago. My second attempt at a bullet/powder combo I’m shooting MOA groups w my Tikka 300 WM.

The short mag/long jump and 1:11 twist might note be ideal. But it does have to be a deal breaker.

76.5 H1000 and 200 ELD-X loaded to mag max (3.366)

Mike 338

WKR
Tikka is very much an international gun company. The "heavy for caliber" bullet selection thing is sort'a a US thing. They have the same problem with their 243 and 223 cartridges but then again, they selling those to guys who shoot nothing larger than a fox.

If you wanna sling the heavies, buy another maker's gun. Chances are though, an 11 twist with a bullet and does well in it, will drop anything you come across.

TwoTikkas

WKR
Hey Luke. What are you loading in Tikka 300 WSM? I know you are an unabashed WSM man. Do you think there is more latitude in the Tikka short magazine than the 300 WM in the long magazine.

TwoTikkas

WKR
Thanks Luke. That answered a lot of my questions. I was thinking along the lines of using a long factory mag,with a 300 WSM and a bolt stop change.

micus

Lil-Rokslider
your over thinking. I shoot 212's and 208's in a 1:11 Sako. 1/2 to moa-3/4 I go out past 700yds fairly regularly.

Attachments

• sako group.PNG
    sako group.PNG
    579.9 KB · Views: 98
Micus what velocities are you getting with the 212's? Just got a Tikka 300wsm and would love to run 212 ELD-X's but have been concerned on the 11" twist as well...

Fotis

FNG
So heres the deal - it is at a disadvantage with this if you're looking to shoot heavies.

For the average joe shooting average factory stuff at average distances, it isn't going to make a measurable difference... but then again, most average joes would do just fine with a 30-06 at average distances... but thats not the question at hand.

If your intent is to shoot greater distances(and in my opinion it should be if you're buying a magnum), then you're going to want to shoot big heavy long bullets. The 11 twist barrel won't stabilize them(not to mention the magazine is small).

Is it stupid? absolutely. About the only thing Tikka is getting right is the twist on the creedmoor. I think they'd have a killer product if they just updated all their twist rates. Even Browning is getting it right, Tikka needs to get on board.
I agree but that said Tikka does offer a 1:8 RPM 223.

Yes they changed some twist rates. A faster twist rate has no real drawbacks, even with light bullets.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

I’ve seen more shit die from a 30-06 than anything else by a long shot.