Tikka T3x 6.5PRC Factor Ammo for Elk

DarylFudd

FNG
Pulled the trigger on a Tikka in 6.5 PRC. What have you all found to shoot well through the tikka barrel in 6.5PRC? I'm looking for an elk specific round for an upcoming cow tag.

Most likely to encounter game anywhere from 50 to 300 yrds, I'm comfortable hitting out to 500, but don't really expect that in the terrain I'll be in.

I've been scouting the ammo isles over the past several months. Here are a few I've seen on the shelves and what I've come to learn about them so far:

1. Hornady precision ELD-X 143gr- Good for longer range broadside shots, a lot of worry and talk out there about lack of penetration, bone-busting capability, and short range disintegration.
2. Browning LR pro Sierra Tipped game king 140 gr. - Another copper jacket lead core bullet. Not sure how it compares to the ELD-X
3. Winchester expedition with nosler accubond 142gr - sounds like a good balance of penetration and expansion
4. Barnes VOR-TX LRX 127gr - excellent penetration, I don't love the lower weight.. but great weight retention in the LRX bullets.
5. Federal Premium Terminal ascent 130gr- Seems to be in the middle ground of penetration and expansion with the accubonds? also a little light. Not sure how they compare to the accubonds.
6. Hornady outfitter CX 130gr - A monometal like the Barnes LRX.

Please save any "I shoot 300 win mag" or "I'd never shoot an elk with 6.5" related rhetoric

140 accubonds from my saum has accounted for a few bulls now. All have died within 50 yds. I did have a bad experience with the 143 so I lost confidence in them. I’m positive it was a bad shot on my part. They fly great and buck the wind well. Hope this helps, best wishes

hiker270

WKR
The 127 LRX and the Federal 130 T/A are both excellent shooters in my Tikka 6.5. I'm taking the 6.5 on a cow elk hunt next week . Have decided to use the Federal 130 T/A because I have killed elk with them in with my 270 and they have performed great.

Tipped gameking is a tougher, harder, less fragmenting bullet than the eld line. It might be a good choice for the high velocity impacts you are setting up. There is a very long 6.5 kill thread here with many eld kills, but most of those are launched at lower muzzle velocities than you'll have.

BAKPAKR

WKR
My daughter dropped two elk in their tracks last fall with a 6.5 PRC and Hornady 147 gr ELDM factory ammo. One was at 250 yards and the other was at a little over 500. The bullets did fragment even at the longer range.

I would add Norma Bondstrike to your list. No personal experience, but I will be using them on a hunt soon with my 6.5 PRC. They have a good reputation.

OP
D

DarylFudd

FNG
I think I'm most concerned with performance at short range distances as well as encountering bone. Seems that these all are long range performers, but little talk or info 50-200yrds

N8iV Warrior

Lil-Rokslider
I shot 2 bulls at about roughly 400 yds with the 143 eld-x bullet and both bulls were 1 bullet and a dirt nap right thru front shoulder on both bulls. The 1 bull I found the bullet in the offside shoulder sticking in the hide and the other bull it had a clean pass thru, I was pretty impressed. Perfect mushroom on the 143 eld-x bullet. I have not shot the match bullets at elk.