Tikka t3x factory stock - results?

E in CO

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have longer term results with a Tikka T3x factory plastic stock? I'm just starting to play with a 7-08 in one and through load development had to file out the barrel channel to free float the barrel. Now it's holding decent groups but haven't put many rounds through it yet to verify it won't shift over higher round counts. I plan to do a bunch of bipod prone shooting with it this summer on steel up in the hills but don't want to waste my time if these plastic stocks without bedding and pillars will leave me unhappy. Trying to decide if I jump to an McM Edge now or burn some powder and see what my results will be. Anyone already run this issue and come to a conclusion? Thanks.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
First thing I do to any tikka is buy a new stock. The el cheapo feel of their stocks makes them an automatic replacement for me.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
First thing I do to any tikka is buy a new stock. The el cheapo feel of their stocks makes them an automatic replacement for me.

Hmmm. The Tikka stock is about the only factory plastic stock that I don't feel an overwhelming need to replace.

Function wise they are fine.

907to406

Lil-Rokslider
The factory stock leaves a bit to be desired at first but for function and durability it is a workhorse. If you already filed out the contact points it should be fine and not effect groups. If your putting a bunch of downward pressure while using a bipod check to see if your getting contact anywhere and if so file it accordingly. That being said aftermarket is never a bad choice if looking to upgrade.

I've been hunting with my T-3 for over a decade now. The first thing I did was to free float the barrel. Over the years I've made a plethora of heart shots from 3 feet to 600+ yards, and even more head shots on pigs. In shot, mine is an exceptionally accurate rifle (the fact is I'm spoiled with it's accuracy). I get how some people don't like the feel of the plastic stock, but I've gotten over that years ago. The rifle is a performer, so I've never consider trying to fix something that already works perfectly. I just don't think I would derive any improvement by replacing my stock, even if the replacement was bedded.

In short, I would see how it shoots, and go from there. But that is just MNSHO,

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will second bubble. My t3 7mm was bought in 03. I see how some question the stock, the clips and rings but they perform a ok and it continues to drives tacks. For me it is about functionality and performance and not aesthetics. I don't know how many rounds it has through it but it is many and stock show many scars and blemishes of the abuse it has taken👍 You should be fine as is.

OP
E

E in CO

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like from a function standpoint it will be fine. I don't really mind the feel of the factory T3x stock which surprises me cause my rigs all religiously wear HTS stocks. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Ty619

FNG
I've got the T3 lite 7RM. Floated the barrel, pillar and glass bedded... good to go. This was dry fit. Was mocking it up for a buddy. Barrel and action are at patriot valley arms for a re-barrel. Duracoat on da stock....View attachment 51564

GKPrice

Banned
Hmmm. The Tikka stock is about the only factory plastic stock that I don't feel an overwhelming need to replace.

Function wise they are fine.

Agree 100% Formidilosus - First, Tikka T3x stock aren't "plastic", they're a proprietary injection molded material that Italian shotgun maker Guillierno (missed the spelling by a MILE) was contracted to design for Tikka - go ahead and try to destroy one then post your results here -

Tikka T3x stocks are not of a design that fits everyone's needs or wants, nor is any other single model design stock from any other maker,
they are stable, well enough engineered and universally fitable for folks in general - If a person wants to drop an additional $600 +/- after purchase that's his prerogative but not needed for a "general use hunting rifle handle" IME

OP
E

E in CO

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks again for everyone's feedback and sharing your experiences with the factory Tikka T3x stock. Seems like it should work fine for quite some time for my intended purposes.

jmsdad

Lil-Rokslider
Just bought a T3x myself. I don't foresee buying an aftermarket stock for the time being, but if a good deal on a McMillan shows up I'll buy it. For prone shooting I recommend buying the more verticle grip.