Tikka T3x Hunter Vs. Synthetic

Just found a lightly used traded-in T3 Hunter (wood stocked) in 7mm rem mag at my LGS. Price is right. I have a couple of Tikkas, one T3 and one T3x, but don’t have any experience with the walnut stocked versions. Those are synthetic stainless. Are the walnut version rifles as solid and accurate as the synthetic ones?

Rmauch20

WKR
I have a T3 .243 that has wood stock and a T3X .308 synthetic/stainless. I prefer the wood stock. I’ve never actually weighed them but I believe the T3 weighs just slightly more. Both are more accurate than I am.
I plan on picking up at 6.5 or 7MM-08 and that one will be the hunter model.

I have not hunted elk with it. I won't feel undergunned though when I do. I just plan on using a bonded or mono bullet when the time arrives and keep the distance reasonable. There are a bunch of posts in this and other forums about the 7mm08 and elk. A guy that goes by pharmseller, I think, has taken quite a few with his.

JTS

FNG
I have a wood stalked tikka forest in 300 win mag. It shoots great and I really like it better than the synthetic. I think the wood adds around a pound to the overall weight.

Rickz17

FNG
It was great reading the comments. I am also looking at buying a Tikka but wasn't sure what stock I should get. I am thinking about going synthetic with a stainless steel barrel.

davsco

WKR
synthetic stocks all the way for me, esp if they're going to be out in the field/woods hunting. plus syn doesn't absorb the environmentals as wood does.

i 'think' the wood stocks may be cheaper ($) and if so, and if you're going to re-stock it anyways, then that would be the way to go.

16Bore

WKR
Synthetic for “tool” rifles, wood for “drool” rifles.

And shotguns.

Blaw

WKR
you can get the vertical grip on the synthetic and its way nicer. also that synthetic on the T3x was super nice i thought. one of the most rigid stocks I have come across, unless you compare a chassis or laminate of course.
I did weight mine and I think it was right around 30-32oz if memory serves.

Hands down better than the browning hells canyon stocks!!!!!! (they do have sweet colors tho)

Bravo6

FNG
I weighed the Hunter Stock on my T3x Fluted in 6.5, and the Walnut Stock weighed on 29 ounces. I was surprised. If I am not mistaken, the synthetic stock weights 28 oz, so 1 oz difference, correct me if I'm wrong.

I absolutely love how the Walnut stock looks on my Tikka. But wood stocks are so pretty, I'm reluctant to bang them around in the field. Also, curious as to whether my rifle might group slightly better in the synthetic stock, the recoil lug looks a little loose in the Walnut stock....

morgaj1

WKR
I have 3 Tikkas: A T3x stainless in 300WM, T3x stainless in 7mm-08 and a T3 Forest in 30-06. While all 3 consistently shoot well less than 1MOA, the T3 Forest in 30-06 is my most accurate. I shot my personal best group of 0.2MOA with it. I love the feel of the walnut and really like the palm swell too. Plus, I got it cheap when they were put the T3's on clearance.