Tikka T3x Lite 308 scope rings

Is there an advantage to a 1 piece scope mount on a Tikka T3x vs a 2 piece? Seems like most rings are 2 piece for this gun. I know DMZ 1 piece but are there other brands that make a 1 piece for that gun?

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’ve had tikka Talley lightweight on a couple tikka rifles. So far so good! Love the weight, love the price tag, and they’ve been bulletproof so far.

Buck197

WKR
Im running the DMZ on the exact rifle, .308 t3x, absolutely love it as my first dmz

shiras

FNG
One piece mounts are a distinct disadvantage because they limit the support to the scope
Two piece rings give you better ring spacing and support the scope so much better
Sports match T084 are the best available
Can you clarify? I'm trying to think of why that would be the case, but I'm not sure.

FCF27139-5D28-499A-8DC9-14E5233C050A.jpeg
See how the rings have a spacing bar so you can’t change the position the rings
Also the scope tube has much more overhang at each end and therefore isn’t supported as well
Note also the rings themselves are narrower with only one clamping screw per side so obviously weaker
A major weak point of the system is that it uses a four dinky little screws into the top of the action which is not nearly as strong as clamping onto the dovetails as the manufacturer of the rifle intended
There is also no recoil pin provided unlike the system I suggested

norcan

FNG
I looked at all the available options and went with Sportsmatch rings. Tikka receivers have a great integrated rail, so it seems silly not to use it.

Strong, light, adjustable, detachable; what’s not to like?

1-C36-CDA8-7-FF9-48-F3-914-A-15-D981-E827-B6.jpg

norcan

FNG
View attachment 369608
See how the rings have a spacing bar so you can’t change the position the rings
Also the scope tube has much more overhang at each end and therefore isn’t supported as well
Note also the rings themselves are narrower with only one clamping screw per side so obviously weaker
A major weak point of the system is that it uses a four dinky little screws into the top of the action which is not nearly as strong as clamping onto the dovetails as the manufacturer of the rifle intended
There is also no recoil pin provided unlike the system I suggested
But that's not inherent to one-piece mounts; it's also true of two-piece rings that use the drilled-and-tapped receiver mounts, no? Now if we're talking about receiver-top vs. dovetail mounting, then it's a different story of course. I agree that dovetail mounting is preferable, but there's no disadvantage to going one-piece compared to separate rings if you go for mounting on top of the receiver.

If you use the recoil pin, the position of the front ring is fixed so the only spacing adjustment is at the rear. Personally, I just skipped the pin so I could move that mount forward; if the clamps are of good quality and tightened properly it'll stay put just fine.

Trial153

WKR
I got a set of sportmatch for my dads T3x, after reading all the feedback from members on this forum. It was pretty seamless and they are a quality product. Using the rail seemed sensible

Ronb

WKR
Have always used talley. But thought they were a bit light. Saw the leupold backcountry rings. Same style, but a bit beefier. Very nice fit and finish.
333b46db1cde20c14031ccaaf913b0a2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ronb

WKR
They may be easy and superb. Same with most that have been mentioned. But I like the way the backcountry rings have rounded off all the edges compared to talley and the sportmatch. In my eyes they look much nicer. Imo

Britt-dog

Lil-Rokslider
They may be easy and superb. Same with most that have been mentioned. But I like the way the backcountry rings have rounded off all the edges compared to talley and the sportmatch. In my eyes they look much nicer. Imo

They would look nicer if it wasn’t for the big white Leupold sign on the side. I just returned a set because I couldn’t stand looking at it. Looks like airsoft junk.

norcan

FNG
@Ronb
Which bottom metal is that, and how do you like it compared to the original polymer? It looks good.

@Britt-dog
Black permanent marker will easily fix that.

Tod osier

WKR
But that's not inherent to one-piece mounts; it's also true of two-piece rings that use the drilled-and-tapped receiver mounts, no? Now if we're talking about receiver-top vs. dovetail mounting, then it's a different story of course. I agree that dovetail mounting is preferable, but there's no disadvantage to going one-piece compared to separate rings if you go for mounting on top of the receiver.

If you use the recoil pin, the position of the front ring is fixed so the only spacing adjustment is at the rear. Personally, I just skipped the pin so I could move that mount forward; if the clamps are of good quality and tightened properly it'll stay put just fine.

2 piece can often be flipped end for end and for the talleys there are extension rings offered.

On a Tikka using the pin, you are set on the front, but there is a lot of leeway if you don't use the pin and use one of the tapped holes - just put a screw in it and butt the mount to it. That gives a lot of options for mounting with the pin and several screw holes forward and aft.

norcan

FNG
@Tod osier
Yeah good point about reversing two-piece receiver bases. And using a screw as a recoil stop is a good idea; even if the rings don’t slip, it gives a consistent return position after the scope is detached.

Ronb

WKR
High desert! It fit perfect and looks awesome. I just bought the gun at sportsman in December. Its a .270 superlite and I have yet to shoot it. Limbsaver, high desert, stainless action screws and a spartan bipod. I have a z3 3-10x42 brh on it. My build it done! MaybeI had bought a lighter trigger spring, but the original dialed it down to 2.25, so i just left it at that. This is my idea of a simple, reliable, bombproof killing machine

eightyeight mag

Lil-Rokslider
I use Talleys for an ultra light setup, but for most of my Tikkas I prefer Murphy Precision or Mt tactical rails with Seekins rings. Bombproof setup in my opinion.
Both rails have machined in recoil lugs.