Tikka T3x Lite barrel diameter 300 WSM 18”/20”/22”

Randonee

Lil-Rokslider
Hello,
I’m thinking about buying a Tikka t3x Lite in 300 WSM. I’d like to know the barrel diameter at 18”, 20” and 22” to know if there is enough shoulder for a suppressor. I can’t find a tikka lite in 300 WSM locally to measure. I’m hoping someone with that rife and calipers can provide the measurements. Thank you!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I can’t really answer your question about the diameter but a good gunsmith can build a shoulder onto the barrel so that it can use a better thread pattern.

I have my tikka 30-06 out now getting it done and in the end I’ll be able to direct thread my silencers on at 5/8x24. I’m really looking forward to this,

OP
R

Randonee

Lil-Rokslider
I can’t really answer your question about the diameter but a good gunsmith can build a shoulder onto the barrel so that it can use a better thread pattern.

I have my tikka 30-06 out now getting it done and in the end I’ll be able to direct thread my silencers on at 5/8x24. I’m really looking forward to this,
I have a few questions, if you don’t mind. Thank you.
1. Is your gunsmith creating the shoulder by adding a threaded collar/nut behind (toward the receiver) the threads cut for the brake/suppressor?
2. Are you getting to a 5/8” threads by cutting your barrel back far enough to get 5/8” threads? Or is your gunsmith adding a threaded step-up collar (like 9/26 to 5/8), or something else?

Minimum recommended diameter from most suppressor manufacturers for 30 cals are 9/16-24 and minimum recommended barrel diameter to thread 9/16-24 and have enough shoulder is .662". To get there on a standard Tikka barrel you have to go just below 18".

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have a few questions, if you don’t mind. Thank you.
1. Is your gunsmith creating the shoulder by adding a threaded collar/nut behind (toward the receiver) the threads cut for the brake/suppressor?
2. Are you getting to a 5/8” threads by cutting your barrel back far enough to get 5/8” threads? Or is your gunsmith adding a threaded step-up collar (like 9/26 to 5/8), or something else?
He is cutting the barrel back to 18” and I’m guessing it’s a threaded (permanently attached” collar so that I will have 5/8x24 threads. It will be similar to what the threaded barret field crafts had.

crich

WKR
He is cutting the barrel back to 18” and I’m guessing it’s a threaded (permanently attached” collar so that I will have 5/8x24 threads. It will be similar to what the threaded barret field crafts had.
Are you having this done local or did you ship it? Id like to add a muzzle device to one of my rifles for my dominus but because of the OD I was looking at TBACs face mounts. Id like to avoid that if I can.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Are you having this done local or did you ship it? Id like to add a muzzle device to one of my rifles for my dominus but because of the OD I was looking at TBACs face mounts. Id like to avoid that if I can.
I sent them out to have the work done. I’ve shot both of them a few times now that I’ve had them back. I couldn’t be happier with the work done.

I'd really like to see Sig/Q style tapered barrels catch on for suppressors in general, and more so in hunting applications. I had 4 of my hunting rifles tapered by Morgan at Class 3 Machining. The threads are the super common 5/8-24. Then, all you need is a $15 adapter to give you a perfect shoulder on even a very thin barrel, as long as the barrel can support 5/8-24 threads.

In this picture you can see the barrels with their Griffin taper mounts, but any device for a 90* shoulder can be used (or obviously any device intended for a Sig/Q taper). Top to bottom: Tikka T3 Light 300wsm cut to 20", Tikka T3 30-06 bored to 338-06 20", Remington XHR (yes, that's a triangle barrel) 30-06 20", Savage .260 Remington 16". The only one of these barrels that would have provided a good 90* shoulder would have been the Rem, but with the taper the Tikkas could have threaded out probably without having to be cut back.

Image 4.jpeg

I neglected to take a good picture of the barrels before the adapter and muzzle devices, and they're all on for good now, so I just have this poor quality picture I had to crop to get like this. You can see how the taper it only on the high spots of the Remington triangle barrel, and how thin the profile of the Savage barrel is even cut all the way back to 16".

Image (1).jpeg

This is what the adapter looks like, its simple, cheap, and allows for perfect alignment. Not to confuse the issue even more, but there are also 1/2-28 and M18-1.5 versions that work the same way.

TBA__80636.jpg

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I'd really like to see Sig/Q style tapered barrels catch on for suppressors in general, and more so in hunting applications. I had 4 of my hunting rifles tapered by Morgan at Class 3 Machining. The threads are the super common 5/8-24. Then, all you need is a $15 adapter to give you a perfect shoulder on even a very thin barrel, as long as the barrel can support 5/8-24 threads.

In this picture you can see the barrels with their Griffin taper mounts, but any device for a 90* shoulder can be used (or obviously any device intended for a Sig/Q taper). Top to bottom: Tikka T3 Light 300wsm cut to 20", Tikka T3 30-06 bored to 338-06 20", Remington XHR (yes, that's a triangle barrel) 30-06 20", Savage .260 Remington 16". The only one of these barrels that would have provided a good 90* shoulder would have been the Rem, but with the taper the Tikkas could have threaded out probably without having to be cut back.

View attachment 483374

I neglected to take a good picture of the barrels before the adapter and muzzle devices, and they're all on for good now, so I just have this poor quality picture I had to crop to get like this. You can see how the taper it only on the high spots of the Remington triangle barrel, and how thin the profile of the Savage barrel is even cut all the way back to 16".

View attachment 483375

This is what the adapter looks like, its simple, cheap, and allows for perfect alignment. Not to confuse the issue even more, but there are also 1/2-28 and M18-1.5 versions that work the same way.

View attachment 483376

I’m had mine done like this and it is exactly what I was looking for. It works incredibly well.

Attachments

• 3A898853-37FF-4973-B61E-2E5FBD3865E9.jpeg
    3A898853-37FF-4973-B61E-2E5FBD3865E9.jpeg
    663.9 KB · Views: 132

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Who made those taper adapters? Looks great.
I like that! Who did the work?
Shaen rifles. Top notch work. For reference, one is a tikka sporter barrel that came straight off a 30-06 and the other is my Kimber Montana 308 barrel. Neither has the meat to thread to 5/8x24 and while I’m sure 1/2x28 threads with an adapter would be just fine, I wanted something a bit more substantial and I didn’t want to deal with adapters.

Last edited:

Sled

WKR
Shaen rifles. Top notch work. For reference, one is a tikka sporter barrel that came straight off a 30-06 and the other is my Kimber Montana 308 barrel. Neither has the meat to thread to 5/8x24 and while I’m sure 1/2x28 threads with an adapter would be just fine, I wanted something a bit more substantial and I didn’t want to deal with adapters.

Shaen is no longer accepting new work. Who's the next rokslide smith that is recommended?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221231-100827.png
    Screenshot_20221231-100827.png
    786.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited: