Tikka T3X Lite or Sako Finnlight?

DAD

FNG
Hey Y'all,

I am in the market for a .300 Win Mag. I have narrowed it down to a Tikka T3X Lite or the Sako Finnlight.

I have read that Sako's can be picky about the ammo you shoot and that I should consider shooting the Sako Brand Ammo. I have also read that Sako's components are of higher quality than the Tikka. I want a buy it for life rifle and the price difference doesn't matter to me. I just want a great rifle.

I have read that the biggest flaw for the Tikka's are the stock. I figured if I went with the Tikka, then I would upgrade to an after market, possibly carbon fiber stock.

I'm torn and don't know what to do.

Thanks for your input.

OP
DAD

DAD

FNG
Would anyone recommend a Christensen Arm's rifle over Sako or Tikka?

NoWiser

WKR
I own a Tikka and I'd go Sako without a doubt for the safety alone. Don't get me wrong, I love my Tikka, but everytime I pick up a Sako I fall in love.

Ondavirg

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Sako 75 and a tikka compact superlite. The Sako is amazing. I love the rifle. The tikka is just as accurate, exceptional really for the low cost. I don’t have the love affair with the tikka as I do with the Sako, but I find myself pulling the light, accurate, deadly tikka from the safe more than the Sako. I bought another tikka recently even though I wanted another Sako. The cost wasn’t worth the difference to me. I still second guess my decision as my new tikka hasn’t been the shooter my first is, but i finally have a load it shoots well. Tough call. I love the Sako but the tikka will do all it can do for half the price.

hodgeman

WKR
The Tikka is a budget Sako.

Both of them are nice rifles, but they're not really comparable any more than a Ruger American and a Ruger 77.

Any individual rifle can be picky about ammo, but I've never found it's a brand trait. Any high quality ammo should shoot just fine.

RafterH

FNG
What's not to love with a Sako? My Sako 75 in 270 is a joy to shoot. Have taken game at verified 400 and targets to 500 and it just flat works.

bcnorth

FNG
my hunting rifle is a sako 7mm rem mag and i shoot 150gr barnes ttsx loaded with 66.5 grains of H4831sc. Very accurate load in an great gun. No issues at all, reliable and recommended for a lifetime gun. If i was buying another calibre or just another gun i would go tikka or another brand of similar value but not for my lifetime gun if i can afford the cost.

jaredg

Lil-Rokslider
They use the same barrels. I own both and have verified that the Tikka Superlite and the Sako Carbonlite use the exact same barrel. That being said, fit and finish on the Sako is head and tails above the Tikka. I consider the Tikka to be the "Glock" of the rifle world... Excellent price point, they just shoot, and they are accurate. But my Sakos are "heirloom" rifles. My Tikkas are my everyday shooter rifles

If you like the sako action and want a really nice rifle look at the Fierce Fury. I have a 300wm and it is extremely accurate and very high quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I have read that Sako's can be picky about the ammo you shoot and that I should consider shooting the Sako Brand Ammo. "
Sako's barrel twist rate varies depending on the caliber. I have not experienced an issue unless it is with a rifle with a slow twist rate. Generally, Tikka's have a 1 in 11 twist, thus they do not stabilize heavy bullets well.

"I have also read that Sako's components are of higher quality than the Tikka. I want a buy it for life rifle and the price difference doesn't matter to me. I just want a great rifle."
The only difference will be fit and finish. But for functionality, they are the same.

"I have read that the biggest flaw for the Tikka's are the stock. I figured if I went with the Tikka, then I would upgrade to an after market, possibly carbon fiber stock."
The stocks on Tikka's are designed ergonomically correct. So from a design perspective, there is nothing wrong with the Tikka stocks. They have a plastic feel (they are not plastic) which some do not like. They function perfectly, but they lack the cool factor. Tikka has made some changes to some of their stock to move away from the plastic feel... but I have yet to handle one.

If you are looking for a rifle that is inexpensive but functions exceptionally well, go Tikka. If you want a step above, Go with a Tikka model that comes with a fluted bolt, camo stock, threaded barrel. If you want a rifle your friends will drool over, go Sako. But as was mentioned, Fierce and other companies make some really nice rifles too.

Gila

WKR
"I have read that Sako's can be picky about the ammo you shoot and that I should consider shooting the Sako Brand Ammo. "
Sako's barrel twist rate varies depending on the caliber. I have not experienced an issue unless it is with a rifle with a slow twist rate. Generally, Tikka's have a 1 in 11 twist, thus they do not stabilize heavy bullets well.

"I have also read that Sako's components are of higher quality than the Tikka. I want a buy it for life rifle and the price difference doesn't matter to me. I just want a great rifle."
The only difference will be fit and finish. But for functionality, they are the same.

"I have read that the biggest flaw for the Tikka's are the stock. I figured if I went with the Tikka, then I would upgrade to an after market, possibly carbon fiber stock."
The stocks on Tikka's are designed ergonomically correct. So from a design perspective, there is nothing wrong with the Tikka stocks. They have a plastic feel (they are not plastic) which some do not like. They function perfectly, but they lack the cool factor. Tikka has made some changes to some of their stock to move away from the plastic feel... but I have yet to handle one.

If you are looking for a rifle that is inexpensive but functions exceptionally well, go Tikka. If you want a step above, Go with a Tikka model that comes with a fluted bolt, camo stock, threaded barrel. If you want a rifle your friends will drool over, go Sako. But as was mentioned, Fierce and other companies make some really nice rifles too.
The Sako S20 is a cool concept. Actually it is the other way around this year....the Tikka 300 win mag has a 1:10” twist while the S20 has a 1:11” twist...at least they have up until this point. sako might be using the tikka barrels these days so If a person is interested in a S20 in 300wm, it might be worth a phone call to Sako to see if they now come with a 1:10” twist.

Themic86

Lil-Rokslider
I have a finnlite in 6.55x55 and nothing but great things, and also had a 308 stainless hunter that was ammo picky. Love the action as the smoothest I have had even over full customs. Tikkas are nice as well just not as smooth, and don’t think you can go wrong with either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk