Tikka T3X Lite Roughtech vs Savage 110 UL

308 Tikka T3X Lite Roughtech, Savage 110 UL, or other?

• Tikka T3X Lite Roughtech

Votes: 29 74.4%
  • Savage 110 UL

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
My 13 year-old son is going elk hunting with me for the first time this year, and I'm thinking that he might prefer shooting a .308 to shooting my lightweight 300 WM. I also wouldn't mind adding a .308 bolt gun to my collection. I'm debating between picking up a Tikka T3X Lite Roughtech or Savage 110 UL, and have arrived at these two rifles for both cost considerations and the fact that they come with threaded barrels (he will be hunting with a suppressor).

Which of these two rifles would you recommend? Any other suggestions for ~$1,250 or less?

For a youth, the stock on the savage is beneficial… other than that I would probably go roughtec… if the toughtec doesn’t fit him, you could always get a bravo chassis for not much money…

I think the tikka is a better package overall…have had many tikkas and have an ultra-lite… some uL actions are pretty gritty out of the box (mine wasn’t bad, buddy’s was) the tikka trigger is better for sure, accu triggers always felt like crap to me, and the savage is just ugly, roughtec is good looking rifle

Don’t get me wrong, I like the UL a lot, but it’s still a savage… the UL is very accurate, easy shooting, handles recoil well… nothing bad to say about it and will not be replacing it, but the tikka is just a little more refined in every way… I put the UL in an xlr with a swfa 3-9 and I like it a lot, but I think I will like my newest tikka in a bravo chassis with a 2-5-10x NXS more

OP
R

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
For a youth, the stock on the savage is beneficial… other than that I would probably go roughtec… if the toughtec doesn’t fit him, you could always get a bravo chassis for not much money…

I think the tikka is a better package overall…have had many tikkas and have an ultra-lite… some uL actions are pretty gritty out of the box (mine wasn’t bad, buddy’s was) the tikka trigger is better for sure, accu triggers always felt like crap to me, and the savage is just ugly, roughtec is good looking rifle

Don’t get me wrong, I like the UL a lot, but it’s still a savage… the UL is very accurate, easy shooting, handles recoil well… nothing bad to say about it and will not be replacing it, but the tikka is just a little more refined in every way… I put the UL in an xlr with a swfa 3-9 and I like it a lot, but I think I will like my newest tikka in a bravo chassis with a 2-5-10x NXS more
Thanks. I should’ve mentioned that my 13 yo son is 6’ tall.

bnsafe

WKR
i have a bergara b14 hunter in 308 and wouldnt change it for anything. I get the urge to upgrade but cant justify it. bolt is butter smooth, trigger is amazing, and shoots better than I do, for around 650 bucks.

I have both and would say the tikka for a few reasons. The action on the tikka is way better, not even comparable. More aftermarket parts for the tikka if you ever want to upgrade. Also, the forearm on the Savage is very flimsy and can easily make contact with the barrel.

With that said both Savage UL’s we have, one 6.5 cm and one 6.5prc, both shoot crazy good and we are happy with them.

Without question, Tikka. However, I would chose a 6.5PRC over 308. Yet, both will get the job done.

emm219

FNG
I’d have him hold each and cycle the bolt to see what is most comfortable to him. Really like the tikka and bergara bolt feel personally

SwiftShot

WKR
I have had many Savages. They shoot tight groups and I love the Accu trigger, but the Tikka is a better build quality. The finish is better. Savage will be savage. I would still go 300 with it. Have someone load up lighter loads if you are worried about recoil. You can always bump it up later. I did that with my son. 300 win mag at 14 shooting decreased loads. At 16 he wanted the full load.