Tikka T3X Lite SS --- how to remove light rust?

Sobie2

FNG
So last year I got my son his first rifle, a Tikka T3X Lite in stainless steel. He just got back from a successful caribou hunt with his aunt and uncle (awesome). However in spite of teaching my son how to clean and wipe down his rifle after shooting, this did not happen during the hunt. He is 14, I don't blame anyone. BUT now I am wondering what is the preferred method of removing some surface rust on the barrel of his brand new rifle (that he will own for the rest of his life).

Suggestions/treatments/remedies? Much appreciated.

Sobie2

Lawnboi

WKR
Little bit of metal polish, such as flitz on a qtip or cloth. I wouldn’t blame him too much, light surface rust forms really easy on tikka stainless. If it’s a rifle you plan on him keeping long term a cerakote is worth it .

Wiscat

Lil-Rokslider
Steel wool then Cerakote. I buddy of mine and I hunted Sitka black tails in coastal Alaska. Identical rifles (Tikka 300 wm stainless) Mine was coated his wasn't. His defiantly took some damage. Mine was fine. The sling swivels took a beating! Salt water in the air requires more thought put into rust proofing.

Light strokes with a brass brush worked on my montana and didnt scratch it. But its not quite the same finish I dont think.

Wapiti1

WKR
ATF and 0000 steel wool. ATF has anti-corrosion additives that dissolve rust. You may not need the steel wool, so try scrubbing with ATF and just a non-abrasive scouring pad first.

For prevention, outside of cerakote, I prefer car wax on stainless. It sticks around longer on the metal than oil does. Apply just like on a car.

Jeremy