TIKKA T3X lite SS in 6.5 prc..yes or no?

CJ19

WKR
As a shooter who likes light rifles but not a ton of recoil, should my next rifle be a tikka t3x lite in 6.5 prc? My dad has recently purchased a few tikkas and they shoot very well out of the box. I like the feel and actions of them. I can generally hand recoil of anything to about 30-06 in 7ish to 8 lb pound rifle. The 6.5 prc seems like a great choice for game up to elk size out to long ranges. To top it off, i love stainless rifles with synthetic stocks and the above mentioned tikka fits that. Is there any reason i shouldnt buy one?

204guy

WKR
I haven't followed the ammo shortage for awhile but the 6.5 prc was probably the hardest hit. I'd have ammo to shoot before I bought a rifle.

OP
C

CJ19

WKR
I haven't followed the ammo shortage for awhile but the 6.5 prc was probably the hardest hit. I'd have ammo to shoot before I bought a rifle.
That is an excellent piece of advice. Thank you for that.

The PRC is here to stay. And ammo for it is available and will get better with time. Just a little pricey still yet.
Your best bet for the Hornady ammo is to watch your closest bass pro and cabelas. When they get it, their price isn’t stupid either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gila

WKR
Any concerns 6.5 prc wont stand the test of time and in 10 yrs this rifle has no re sale value?
I doubt that the PRC will go South, but if it does, you can rebarrel since the bolt face is for a standard magnum cartridge...lots of choices there.

OP
C

CJ19

WKR
Thank you for the replies. All helpful for me.

I love my 308, 243, 30 06, and 270. Im look I ng forward to trying something a little newer i guess.

Last edited:
I just picked up a Tikka veil welideland in 6.5 prc and it’s a pleasure to shoot. Very little recoil, especially with the brake it came with. It’s stupid accurate. I haven’t put a ton of rounds through it just yet but did a quick little break in the other night and shots 11,12 and 13 went .668 of an inch. I’d say grab one and have fun! Ammo is a bummer to find but I bought some brass on here, 50 rounds through Unknown Munitions and found 7 boxes of Hornady ammo at a local shop so ammo is out there if you look hard enough.

kit_man_duu

Lil-Rokslider
Even during the ammo shortage, I have found that 6.8 western is available in most stores. For the sake of trying something new, what do you think of the 6.8 western?

As a shooter who likes light rifles but not a ton of recoil, should my next rifle be a tikka t3x lite in 6.5 prc? My dad has recently purchased a few tikkas and they shoot very well out of the box. I like the feel and actions of them. I can generally hand recoil of anything to about 30-06 in 7ish to 8 lb pound rifle. The 6.5 prc seems like a great choice for game up to elk size out to long ranges. To top it off, i love stainless rifles with synthetic stocks and the above mentioned tikka fits that. Is there any reason i shouldnt buy one?
It would be a great choice I love my 6.5 saum, and tikkas are one of the few factory rifles I'd own.
One thing concerns me though, you mentioned elk at long range..
I wouldn't recommend it beyond 600 yards for elk, I've done it and won't ever do it again with anything less than a 7mm.

Wapiti151

WKR
With how hot this round is, and all of the major firearm manufacturers chambering in it…I don’t see it going anywhere. And as was stated above, off chance it does go away, swap your bbl.

OP
C

CJ19

WKR
It would be a great choice I love my 6.5 saum, and tikkas are one of the few factory rifles I'd own.
One thing concerns me though, you mentioned elk at long range..
I wouldn't recommend it beyond 600 yards for elk, I've done it and won't ever do it again with anything less than a 7mm.
I know the term long range means something different to different people. For me 500 yards is very long range at present. My longest shot on wild game to date is just over 400 yards. That is mainly due to the equipment i presently use. Not that the rifle calibers i mentioned before cant shoot beyond 400 yards, my set ups just arent right for it. With the addition of the 6.5 prc to my collection and some better optics on top, i was hoping to be a consistent shooter to 600 or 700 yards as my ultimate goal on the range. Presently, I have no plans to start shooting at game of any type at over 600 yards.

I appreciate your comment about elk at 600 being a reasonable end point for that species and i agree with it. Especially until i get the rifle, decide on a load that my rifle shoots well, and see what kind of energy that load would have at those types of ranges.

OP
C

CJ19

WKR
Even during the ammo shortage, I have found that 6.8 western is available in most stores. For the sake of trying something new, what do you think of the 6.8 western?
I hadnt to this point but i will look at that. I am not sure the specific tikka rifle i am really interested in comes chambered in that round. Ill have to research that a bit more.

Anschutz

Lil-Rokslider
I hadnt to this point but i will look at that. I am not sure the specific tikka rifle i am really interested in comes chambered in that round. Ill have to research that a bit more.
I see the 6.5PRC hanging around longer than the 6.8 Western. I've been wrong before but that's how I see it. I have a .270Win and if I need more horsepower there are better options than the 6.8 Western that have been around a long while. As for the Tikka, I'm also looking hard at the 6.5 PRC in the Tikka. I'd love one in the Super Varmint.

OP
C

CJ19

WKR
I just picked up a Tikka veil welideland in 6.5 prc and it’s a pleasure to shoot. Very little recoil, especially with the brake it came with. It’s stupid accurate. I haven’t put a ton of rounds through it just yet but did a quick little break in the other night and shots 11,12 and 13 went .668 of an inch. I’d say grab one and have fun! Ammo is a bummer to find but I bought some brass on here, 50 rounds through Unknown Munitions and found 7 boxes of Hornady ammo at a local shop so ammo is out there if you look hard enough.
I like the veils a lot as well but i have a strange obsession with the stainless synthetic at the moment. I dont think the stainless synthetics come thread for or with a break presently. So there might be a bit more recoil; however, i think it should be very manageable. If it not, i guess i could have one put on. Its possible i do end up with a veil though.

The 6.5 PRC is here to stay. I have one in CA Mesa. I am glad I reload because factory fodder is unobtanium.

OP
C

CJ19

WKR
Well, i couldnt wait any longer. When you just drop buy gun shops and start handling rifles, it gets hard to not buy something...at least for me. I ended up buying a t3x lite ss syn in .270. I have a real soft spot for 270s as i shot my first buck with one and have a ton of reloading components already in hand. The feel of the tikkas has got to be one of best for that price range in a factory rifle currently. Great trigger and smooth action. All the new tikkas i have experience with seem to be shooters too. Unfortunately my addiction means i will probably need a 6.5 prc from a different manufacturer now.

Last edited:

12wander

FNG
I didn’t want to start another thread but those with a Tikka T3X in 6.5 PRC how much wiggle room is there side to side in the mag? I’m looking at using the PRC mags. in my 6.8 Western build. The length is perfect. Sorry to the OP for jumping in here.