Tikka T3X Lite Trigger Adjustment

TX_Diver

WKR
Picked up a Tikka T3X Lite on Thursday and put 17 rounds through it today (.223) sighting in and working on building up the stock to get a better cheek weld.

Trigger is good, but a bit heavier than I was expecting (as compared to my Savage w/ Accutrigger). I also shoot a R700 w/ a Timney and an AR w/ an SSA-E but neither of those is really a fair comparison to a factory trigger.

After shooting, I figured "No worries, I'll pop the stock off and make a quick adjustment" and be back at it tomorrow.

Pulling the stock revealed that the factory setting on the adjustment screw was already almost touching the stop. I was able to get a little less than 1/4 turn of adjustment before bottoming out on the bolt that keeps you from going to far.

I do not have a trigger pull gauge but may call a local smith and see if he does. That would be an excursion for next week though.

Any suggestions in the meantime? The pull is crisp but just heavier than I'd like. I don't want a 2lb trigger on this rifle but was definitely hoping to be able to actually adjust the factory trigger. Seems like I can only go heavier though which is disappointing. I'm bottomed out and am definitely not even close to 2 lbs. Any other suggestions?

Pic is from after my 1/8 to 1/4 turn.

cLlChtLh.jpg

Wvroach

WKR
Mcarbo makes a spring that lightens it up a fair amount for about 10$ well worth it.

TxxAgg

WKR
There are several options for a new trigger spring. All in the $10-15 range

you could also file that screw down a bit to give you more play.

83cj-7

WKR
I own and have setup many Tikkas. Two options. First remove the screw and file off maybe .10 of an inch. Second take out the whole trigger and install a Timney 2 stage!

sdupontjr

WKR
I installed an Elay precision on mine. Cranked all the way in was just about like stock, then I started backing it out to get it how I like it. Like others said think is was $9 bucks.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Yo Dave is another aftermarket option.

Also, one of the virtues of the Tikka is the trigger. It works. Do not recommend an aftermarket trigger. Change the spring if the factory spring does not meet your expectations, not the trigger.

Wvroach

WKR
Who is mcarbo?

Mountain Tactical was a spring that came up in my search. $9.99+ shipping.

Norm555

WKR
I’m happy with my trigger spring from mountain tactical. Lightens the trigger up a good amount

Rocket99

FNG
I just ordered the Mcarbo for $12 for my new 308 Roughtech

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ndayton

WKR
I agree with others to install an aftermarket trigger spring. My T3x was not as light as I wanted even with the screw backed out. Installed an aftermarket spring from Mountain Tactical and now it has a crazy light trigger pull.

khuber84

WKR
You can spend 10+ dollars and days waiting for the spring, or spend 10 mins and remove the set screw and grind it down to a shorter length on the hex head cap end. It does the same thing.

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
Seems a little picky with ammo so far but American Eagle 50 grain tipped varmint rounds are about MOA out to about 300. 1/2" at 100, 1.5" at 200, 2" at 250 and 3.25" at 300. Fixed 6x scope so I imagine the increase in size factors into my ability to see the target well.

My AR shoots PMC bronze FMJs sub MOA w/in 200 but I was getting about 2 groups w/ that in this one.

64gr Winchester soft points went into a 3" group but may have been how I was loading the bipod as I noticed one leg was caught on the mat for 2 rounds.

Went to try Remanufactured LC 69gr SMK (.223 Rem) and they would barely chamber. Didn't shoot any but out of 4 only one chambered without too much difficulty.

Either way I've got some dope to 300 for one round and some brass to use to work up a load w/ 77gr SMKs over the next few weeks.

Wvroach

WKR
Do you know your twist? Most are 1:10 a few 1:8 around. Might not work well with the 77grains if 1:10.

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
Put in the mountain tactical spring yesterday.

Major difference. I adjusted the set screw in a ways after replacement and the trigger is still lighter than I would like for hunting now but I won't hunt much with this gun outside of predators so not a huge deal.

Great $10 upgrade though for anyone on the fence. I'm sure you could modify the existing spring or shave the set screw down but for $10 it's not worth it to me.

Lawnboi

WKR
The manual says you should be able to adjust to 2lbs. Of the 4 tikkas I own and the others Iv setup It’s always been plus or minus about a half pound. I have one that won’t go below 2.5, and one that goes to 1.5. Either way I have a replacement spring in my match rifle but can’t bring myself to hunt with a sub 2 pound trigger.