Tikka T3X Lite

Looking for some input from everyone interested.

I honestly have no real need for a new rifle but you all know how it goes. LOL

I`m interested in jumping on the Tikka band wagon. Seems the reports are they shoot well and are lite. I would mostly use is for spring bear hunting but antelope, deer and possibly elk if I really enjoy carrying it.

I`m thinking 270 win or seriously leaning toward 270 wsm. I am getting into reloading and already have a 270 win and have gathered components. The only thing I would be missing for the 270 wsm is brass and a die set.

It looks like the 270 wsm has extra velocity but I have never shot one and am wondering about recoil.

What are your opinions between these two calibers? I`m also open to your thoughts on other calibers in this platform.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I just bought a 6.5 CM this summer and it's now my favorite rifle. Only negative I have to say is the clip only holds 3 rounds. It's really light and accurate with the right ammo. I recommend buying a few boxes of different factory ammo's (if you don't reload) and playing with them. Got bolt fluted $40 and airtech butt pad for cheap and it's a dream to shoot. Hope this helps...

OP
E
Thanks for the input. Not sure I can jump on the Tikka bandwagon and the 6.5 CM at the same time. LOL

In all seriousness, I`m thinking a little heavier bullet will be better for my needs.

Your rifle will tell you which bullet to use. Once you reload there's a chance you can use the bullet that you want to use.

I have a T3X in 6.5 CM and also 300 WM. Both shoot like a champ. Unsure about the 270s but you can buy 5 round magazines for the 6.5 CM.

As far as recoil between the 270 Win and 270 WSM is concerned, do not worry about it unless you are recoil sensitive. The WSM will be about 11% higher (all things being equal).

How far are you wanting to potentially kill a deer-sized animal? Shooting commercial ELD-X, a 270 Win hits 1800 fps at 775 yards. Shooting commercial ELD-X, a 200 WSM hits 1800 fps at 850 yards. This is with published numbers and may not accurately reflect the actual rifle that you will be buying.

kickemall

WKR
I'd go with the .270 because of less recoil, ease of getting quality factory ammo if you need it and it will kill anything you want. I shot a Tikka T3 .270wsm several times and there was pretty impressive recoil. Plenty shootable but you notice it. I have three T3s and all are nice guns.

OP
E
I'd go with the .270 because of less recoil, ease of getting quality factory ammo if you need it and it will kill anything you want. I shot a Tikka T3 .270wsm several times and there was pretty impressive recoil. Plenty shootable but you notice it. I have three T3s and all are nice guns.
I hear you.

I should stay with the 270 win as I am already am set up for it. I was just wanting to try something new to me.

Block

WKR
I love my T3 270,,, slapped in a Timney Trigger in and absolutely love it.. I also put a GRS BiFrost stock on mine this year.. this added a pound which helped the recoil a ton.

goheezfan

FNG
I have a Browning 270wsm, and its my favorite caliber. It thumps a little, but shoot flat. Finding ammo is my only concern, and if you reload, you're good.

I went with a t3x lite in 270win coming from an old remington 700 30-06 with a wood stock. The recoil of the 270 is noticeably less I know the stock plays a big part in it but I can shoot a ton at the range and go home without any shoulder pain vs the 30-06 I would be beat up after 10 shots.

The factory ammo I've found that shoots the best is federal premium 140 Bergers, remington core-lokt 130s, hornady outfitter 130 gmx, and hornady precision 145 eldx. For cheap practice ammo I have been using PPU 150s.

I wanted the accubonds to be my ammo but it was shooting around 2 moa and I didn't want any negative thoughts while hunting.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

As far as recoil, I shoot a tikka t3x lite in 7mm rem mag and changing the recoil pad to a limbsaver airtech was a huge improvement.

OP
E
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I am not inherently recoil shy but was wondering how the 270 wsm is. I think it would be manageable. However, It might be loaned out to a relatively new shooter. The 270 win would probably be better for him.

Got to make my mind up soon. Guess I should make a trip to my fav gun guy and see what is available. Might make my mind up for me.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I am not inherently recoil shy but was wondering how the 270 wsm is. I think it would be manageable. However, It might be loaned out to a relatively new shooter. The 270 win would probably be better for him.

Got to make my mind up soon. Guess I should make a trip to my fav gun guy and see what is available. Might make my mind up for me.
I’ve set up a few newer shooters on Tikkas, I always have them get a limbsaver pad when they buy the gun, regardless of caliber or their recoil tolerance. They’re cheap enough, comfy, and less recoil is less recoil. On a light rifle they’re a no-brainer imho.

As for 270 vs 270 wsm, personally I’d get the 270. Easy to find ammo everywhere, much more ammo options, cheaper ammo, reliable feeding, etc.
Taking a quick glance, the 270wsm only gets you 150 to 200 additional fps with 130-140 gr bullets and 100 fps with 150gr bullets.
What‘s worth noting is that the Tikka t3x in 270wsm has a 24 inch barrel, vs the 22 inch barrel on the .270. At that point, when the 24” barrel comes into play... personally I’d be looking at a 7mm rem mag.
But only you can decide if it’s worth it or not. They’ll both kill shit just fine- buy the one that makes you happier.

OP
E
I was just reading about possible feeding issues with the 270 wsm. That will make me stick with the 270 win.

Sanchez

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Tikka in 270 WSM. I love the gun. Groups under a MOA with factory ammo. I use a limbsaver recoil pad when target shooting and recoil is very tolerable. When hunting elk and deer, I take the recoil pad off and never notice the recoil.

I also have a 270 in a Remington 700 which used to be my go to, but now rarely leaves the gun safe.

I shoot the tikka 270wsm with 110 Barnes bullets. This round is a laser beam. I love it. I do think the rifle has recoil but it is more of a sharp recoil and manageable.

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
Got one in 270 and 300wm. They are both great rifles. I would stay with 270win vs 270wsm as brass is easier to find since you said you were going to reload. Factory ammo is also much easier to find for worst case scenario situations when you lost your ammo on a trip.

For what it’s worth I’ve had good luck loading a variety of different 130gr bullets for my 270.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk