Tikka T3X / Mesa Altitude build help

Ketch

FNG
Finally putting together my tikka build. Recently received a mesa altitude stock and MT bottom metal to swap out the factory plastic. Couple of questions came up during the test fit.

There is some movement (front to back) when the barreld action is set in the stock. I confirmed that the recoil lug is in the slot in the receiver. Appears the steel recoil lug included with the mesa stock has a thinner profile (-.2mm)? For those of you with this stock did you have the same issues? If so did you need to replace the recoil lug? Thinking of swaping out to a stanless version if needed. Do these stocks typically require bedding or are they usually just bolt on and go?

Where inletting was done to the stock for the action it is not finished or painted. As this gun will be used in a very wet envorinment, do I need to seal this rough area with anything? Just looks like it will hold moisture.

The stock came with new longer receiver screws that appear to just be steel (surface rust on them when I opened the packaging). Any suggestions on where to get stainless screws that will work with this stock?

A little frustrating but understand there is the potential for fitment issues when you swap out components. Have been slowly buying components as the budget allows so it would be nice to finish the final assembly myself. Hoping to get her assembled and a load worked up for some blacktail hunting yet this fall.

Appreciate any suggestions and advice. Thanks

You might want to post this in the firearms section, as there’s always a lot of talk there about tikka builds.

OP
K

Ketch

FNG
Following up on an earlier question regarding this build. I have used the rifle for a couple years and am overall really happy with the accuracy, weight and durability of the setup. One complaint is the action screws that come from Mesa with the stock rust up really quickly in the conditions I hunt in. The screws need to be slightly longer in length due to the Mesa stock. I have contacted Mesa and tried MT and OMRC action screws with no success (too short). Does anyone have suggestions on where I might be able to track down custom length stainless Tikka action screws? Thanks

Does anyone have suggestions on where I might be able to track down custom length stainless Tikka action screws? Thanks

I am not exactly sure what size the Tikka action screws are, but you should be able to find what you need at McMaster-Carr. You may not be able to get the exact length, but just buy some that are a bit longer and cut them off with a dremel or hacksaw. Easy-Peasy.

That is what I have done with multiple Remington builds.