Tikka T3x / Mesa Altitude build help

Ketch

FNG
Finally putting together my tikka build. Recently received a mesa altitude stock and MT bottom metal to swap out the factory plastic. Couple of questions came up during the test fit.

There is some movement (front to back) when the barreld action is set in the stock. I confirmed that the recoil lug is in the slot in the receiver. Appears the steel recoil lug included with the mesa stock has a thinner profile (-.2mm)? For those of you with this stock did you have the same issues? If so did you need to replace the recoil lug? Thinking of swaping out to a stanless version if needed. Do these stocks typically require bedding or are they usually just bolt on and go?

Where inletting was done to the stock for the action it is not finished or painted. As this gun will be used in a very wet envorinment, do I need to seal this rough area with anything? Just looks like it will hold moisture.

The stock came with new longer receiver screws that appear to just be steel (surface rust on them when I opened the packaging). Any suggestions on where to get stainless screws that will work with this stock?

A little frustrating but understand there is the potential for fitment issues when you swap out components. Have been slowly buying components as the budget allows so it would be nice to finish the final assembly myself. Hoping to get her assembled and a load worked up for some blacktail hunting yet this fall.

Appreciate any suggestions and advice. Thanks

Finally putting together my tikka build. Recently received a mesa altitude stock and MT bottom metal to swap out the factory plastic. Couple of questions came up during the test fit.

There is some movement (front to back) when the barreld action is set in the stock. I confirmed that the recoil lug is in the slot in the receiver. Appears the steel recoil lug included with the mesa stock has a thinner profile (-.2mm)? For those of you with this stock did you have the same issues? If so did you need to replace the recoil lug? Thinking of swaping out to a stanless version if needed. Do these stocks typically require bedding or are they usually just bolt on and go?

Where inletting was done to the stock for the action it is not finished or painted. As this gun will be used in a very wet envorinment, do I need to seal this rough area with anything? Just looks like it will hold moisture.

The stock came with new longer receiver screws that appear to just be steel (surface rust on them when I opened the packaging). Any suggestions on where to get stainless screws that will work with this stock?

A little frustrating but understand there is the potential for fitment issues when you swap out components. Have been slowly buying components as the budget allows so it would be nice to finish the final assembly myself. Hoping to get her assembled and a load worked up for some blacktail hunting yet this fall.

Appreciate any suggestions and advice. Thanks
Yes you need to bed the recoil lug, and skim bed the receiver behind the lug as well as the tang.
Its pretty simple to do just make sure to bed approx 1" in front of the lug, I put electrical tape around my barrel at that point, and also a thin strip on the recoil lug where it fits into the slot on the receiver ( that keeps the recoil lug attached when you push it into the bedding material).

I like pro bed 2000 available from Red hawk Rifles, also a good place to get SS action screws for your Tikka.
Its a super easy process watch some YouTube videos
Good luck

Antares

WKR
Alternatively, you could assemble it an see how it shoots. Seat the action on the lug by lightly tightening the action screws, bump the butt of the stock on the floor, then torque to whatever Mesa recommends. Don’t worry about the action screws rusting.

That’s what I’d do, especially since it’s already September. Get it up and running. Hunt with it as is this season and then doodle around with it when the season is over.

Let’s see a pic!

OP
K

Ketch

FNG
Here are some pics. T3x superlight in 270 win.

Any thoughts on the exposed carbon where the receiver was inlet? Does that need to be painted?

Goal was to just find a good shooting out of the box set up that would hold up to se alaska weather. That was until I found this forum! Crossing my fingers when complete she is a tack driver.

20210905_180408.jpg20210905_175950_remastered.jpg20210905_180531.jpg

Man looking at those pics you definitely need to bed that thing.
Its recessed around both pillars so you'll have poor fit and contact with the receiver, not to mention ANY movement behind the recoil lug is no bueno!
It'll take you all of an hour to do the bedding job, given you're in se AK I'd probably lightly paint any non coated areas that don't get bedded.

OP
K

Ketch

FNG
Man looking at those pics you definitely need to bed that thing.
Its recessed around both pillars so you'll have poor fit and contact with the receiver, not to mention ANY movement behind the recoil lug is no bueno!
It'll take you all of an hour to do the bedding job, given you're in se AK I'd probably lightly paint any non coated areas that don't get bedded.
Thanks for your input I will look into your pro-bed suggestion and watch a couple youtube videos.

Doing some additional research today it looks like MT sells a stainless recoil lug that is the same thickness as the stock lug. Guess if i get into bedding I might as well bed to the stainless lug. Thanks

Wags

WKR
Thanks for your input I will look into your pro-bed suggestion and watch a couple youtube videos.

Doing some additional research today it looks like MT sells a stainless recoil lug that is the same thickness as the stock lug. Guess if i get into bedding I might as well bed to the stainless lug. Thanks

I've used the MT lugs in a few rifles over the years. They are quality & you'll never need to worry about that again.

OP
K

Ketch

FNG
Thanks everyone for your input. Back country blacktail, that turned out nice.! Did you use the lug provided by mesa or go with a MT stainless? I have a stainless bedding block and some pro bed headed my way and hope to get the done next week. Any tips for bedding the tikka? Did you super glue the lug to the action before bedding? Did you have to do much clearance work to the stock to account for the bedding? Did you use factory action screws? Mesa sent some longer steel screws but i am having a hell of a time finding longer stainless screws? Did you have to remove much material from the pillars? How far forward of the lug did you go with the bedding? Did you bed the entire action or just the lug area? Did you paint the exposed carbon fiber in the inlet area? If so what do you suggest using?
Sorry for all the questions, just have a lot of time and money into this project and want to get it right the first time. Any other pictures and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Thanks everyone for your input. Back country blacktail, that turned out nice.! Did you use the lug provided by mesa or go with a MT stainless? I have a stainless bedding block and some pro bed headed my way and hope to get the done next week. Any tips for bedding the tikka? Did you super glue the lug to the action before bedding? Did you have to do much clearance work to the stock to account for the bedding? Did you use factory action screws? Mesa sent some longer steel screws but i am having a hell of a time finding longer stainless screws? Did you have to remove much material from the pillars? How far forward of the lug did you go with the bedding? Did you bed the entire action or just the lug area? Did you paint the exposed carbon fiber in the inlet area? If so what do you suggest using?
Sorry for all the questions, just have a lot of time and money into this project and want to get it right the first time. Any other pictures and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks
So the mesa aluminum pillars didn't line up perfect with the mtn tactical bottom. When I tightened up the bolts it would cause the magazine to not fit right so it wouldn't stay clipped in. The aluminum pillars were shaved weird from the factory to fit the tikka so only parts of the pillars made contact with the action. Not sure if that mattered or not but ended up drilling the mesa pillars out and installing different pillars. I used the mesa bolts and lug they provided. Just bedded the lug areas. Never painted the inner exposed carbon fiber.

Yeahnahx

FNG
Do you have any updates on how you went? Or some more photos/specs just about to send all my stuff to the gunsmith