Tikka T3X or new Savage 110 Ultralight?

HNTR918

WKR
I'm going to have to buy one first, but from what I saw...I don't think I would buy an aftermarket stock. The factory stock has a 7075 internal chassis, similar to the Manner's Mini Chassis, or similar products with an adjustable comb without the weight of the hardware need in aftermarket stocks that bring weights up from 28oz and closer to 40oz. The magazine was a standard savage 110 removable box.

tdhanses

WKR
It doesn't seem like the stock market is very big once it comes to a nice carbon fiber lightweight stock with a pistol grip. In fact, I haven't been able to find any lightweight (30oz or less) stocks for a 110 but I could definitely be missing something. That would be my only concern, as I'm in the same boat; trying to decide between a Tikka, the Savage ultralight, and maybe a few others that are built on a 700 action clone. Honestly, you're basically at the same price if you take a $700 Tikka and add a prefit carbon barrel on it.

Wonder if Wildcat could build one for it.

renagde

WKR
These Savages are already listed at a little over $1100 street price. Where are you finding a Proof carbon barrel for $400 installed/chambered? Point me in that direction!

I didn't say anything about a $400 proof barrel. I wish they were that cheap. My number is based off the msrp, which for the Savage is $1500. Carbonsix has prefit barrels for under $800.

Pickup one of those Tikkas on clearance for $499 and add a carbon barrel in whatever caliber you want and you're at $1300, which is probably closer to the street price of the Savages in a year or two after the demand has gone down.

On a ballistics chart, perhaps. I’ll bet the difference on a deer or elk will be roughly zero though.

I agree with this guy - the 280 AI has 95% of the energy and within ~2” of the trajectory of the 7 mm at 500 yards. I’d call that a wash for hunting out to 500 that the OP is considering.

I’d still consider the 7 mm though for factory ammo, though.

That Savage in 280 ai seems real appealing. Although I’m not a fan of the savage action. It’s just ugly.
I won't argue otherwise. Savage actions aren't the prettiest. Their modular design is hard to make pretty. But if you are a garage gunsmith like me, they are darn attractive for all you can do with them.

I didn't say anything about a $400 proof barrel. I wish they were that cheap. My number is based off the msrp, which for the Savage is $1500. Carbonsix has prefit barrels for under $800.

Pickup one of those Tikkas on clearance for $499 and add a carbon barrel in whatever caliber you want and you're at $1300, which is probably closer to the street price of the Savages in a year or two after the demand has gone down.

The savage is already listed on a few websites for ~$1150.

tdhanses

WKR
The savage is already listed on a few websites for ~$1150.

300wsm https://www.centerfireguns.com/savage-110-ultralight-300-wsm-57582.html

I also noticed you can get the bottom metal that accepts acsi mags for the long action 110, looks like the 300wsm and 6.5prc are on a long action.

renagde

WKR
I highly doubt that’s what the price will be when they’re in stock but who knows. It’ll be interesting to see how people will like them.
Yeah if they move fast price could be moved closer to msrp.

I don't. Savages have never commanded a premium and I doubt they will in the future. At $1499, I'll pay the extra 300 and buy a Ridgeline that has a nicer trigger and nicer stock. At that price they're too close to the CA to take sales away.

With that said, even if you buy a $499 tikka and an $800 barrel, you still gotta have that barrel chambered and installed by a gunsmith. $1300, not including smithing, and you're either gonna have to wallow out that Tikka stock or buy a new one. In the long run its still cheaper to buy the Savage or CA... not to mention you'll have a scaled action vs. one size with the Tikka.

16Bore

WKR
The lesson learned: do not open emails before going to the gun shop. The two things that matter the most are not much and very little.

Tikka’s are a boring as 30-06’s, and a 30-06 Tikka is like watching paint dry.

It matters more on the internet.

RazAlGhoul

Lil-Rokslider
I would get the Tikka based on reputation alone. The odds are you will do better than 1moa and more important the Tikka is a better rifle. It is a better action with reduced bolt lift. The stocks I have seen look pretty good for synthetic while not kevlar or carbon fiber- -pretty darn good. Basically a Sako barrel.

The only potential plus I see for savage is aftermarket support. Out of the box, I am not impressed. You mention Ruger, I would be just as happy with a ruger.

I also like the TC venture, but; I am not familiar enough to know what model might correspond to these two. In any case, Tikka is a safe bet - accuracy and quality.

The 20" barrel would be very handy in heavy cover. Now, that aspect of the choice is not apples to apples. All the accuracy and quality does not count for much if the gun does not handle right (or best) for the task at hand. My buddy got a ruger youth american in 243 and upgraded to an adult stock. Very handy.

Also you point out the weight. If you go alloy rings and select a compact 32 or 33mm scope those ounces matter. if you need big 40mm or larger glass, then forget weight. And forget the barrel length. On other hand if you are weight watching the total package then 0.4 pounds is real weight.

You also mention 1000 yard shot. On game? That is crazy talk. You need to be realistic.

Bottom line, all considered, I dont know.

howl

WKR
I have run a rifle dry while taking a deer with every shot. The mag on the rig holds three. Have done the same with higher capacity rigs without running them dry. This is a consideration if you're not the type to carry extra ammo.

Also, I can't understand how someone runs the bolt on a TIKKA and ends up buying a Savage unless budget is a factor. Nothing wrong with spending well within budget.

16Bore

WKR
I would get the Tikka based on reputation alone. The odds are you will do better than 1moa and more important the Tikka is a better rifle. It is a better action with reduced bolt lift. The stocks I have seen look pretty good for synthetic while not kevlar or carbon fiber- -pretty darn good. Basically a Sako barrel.

The only potential plus I see for savage is aftermarket support. Out of the box, I am not impressed. You mention Ruger, I would be just as happy with a ruger.

I also like the TC venture, but; I am not familiar enough to know what model might correspond to these two. In any case, Tikka is a safe bet - accuracy and quality.

The 20" barrel would be very handy in heavy cover. Now, that aspect of the choice is not apples to apples. All the accuracy and quality does not count for much if the gun does not handle right (or best) for the task at hand. My buddy got a ruger youth american in 243 and upgraded to an adult stock. Very handy.

Also you point out the weight. If you go alloy rings and select a compact 32 or 33mm scope those ounces matter. if you need big 40mm or larger glass, then forget weight. And forget the barrel length. On other hand if you are weight watching the total package then 0.4 pounds is real weight.

You also mention 1000 yard shot. On game? That is crazy talk. You need to be realistic.

Bottom line, all considered, I dont know.

My “guess” is that the OP isn’t “there” yet. Long shots, this vs. that, analysis paralysis, etc.

Those that know what I mean, know what I mean....you know what I mean?

renagde

WKR
I think it depends if you like to modify your gear or not. You say the price difference doesn't matter, you want the better gun. If it was me and the price difference didn't matter, I would buy a Tikka T3x in a manum caliber for ~$600. Add trigger spring, DBM, and a new stock. Once you're tired of shooting that, get a carbon fiber prefit barrel in 6.5 PRC and have a gunsmith install it for you. Or you might decide that the Stainless barrel is plenty good enough for you and keep it. Even if you don't upgrade the barrel, you still end up with a much smoother action, just as accurate, and a rifle with a better stock.