Tikka T3x Recoil .308 vs .30-06

Hey guys,

My father has a Tikka T3x in .308 with the stock pad. I'm no marksman and from what I remember sighting it in, I wouldn't want to shoot more than 15-20 rounds in a row with it. I was thinking of picking one up in .30-06, my favorite round, and putting a Limbsaver pad and slightly heavier scope on it. Would I notice much difference in felt recoil with these changes?

Dcrafton

WKR
Well, a 308 has an average of 16 lbs of recoil and the 30-06 has an average of 17.5 lbs of recoil. That being said, for the 30-06 adding a recoil pad and being a little heavier, The 30-06 then would probably be about the same as the 308

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jellymon1

Lil-Rokslider
There was a big difference in my t3x 30/06 after I put on a limbsaver pad. The stock pad sucks. I’d say the 06 with a limbsaver on it would probably be more comfortable to shoot than the 308 with the stock pad.

I put the limbsaver pad on both my tikkas, a 300 WM and a 7-08. The 300 wasn’t bad at all to shoot with the pad although I have recently put a brake on it. The 7-08 has basically zero recoil it feels like. The limbsaver is a must have.

Motown

WKR
I have a 308 T3X and didnt think it kicked all that bad in the factory stock. I did eventually switch to a Mcmillan which was more of a personal preference and the recoil seems to be a bit les, but the Mcmillan also has a decelerator pad as well. I also have 4 other tikka T3X’s and they all ride in the factory stocks but none of them are larger than a 308.

Limbsavers can work well. Only the individual can determine if the reduction in felt recoil is worth it as we all handle recoil differently.

When shooting a "heavier" recoiling rifle, only shoot it for a few rounds at a time. After a few rounds, pivot to a "lighter" recoil rifle(s). This allows your rifle barrel to cool. It gives your shoulder a break which will allow you to extend your shooting session as well as reduce the likelihood of developing a flinch.

Also if funds allow it get another rifle (same exact setup) but in a smaller and lighter recoiling caliber. Do the bulk of your training on it.

I did this yesterday. 120 rounds total over 6 rifles of various weights (7-9#) and calibers (6.5 CM - 300 WM). 3 shots each for 6 rounds followed by 2 rounds each.

JakeSCH

WKR
I've shot both. I replaced the stock on the 308 with a ben & carlson and the 30-06 has a limbsaver. They feel the same to me...both have more felt recoil more than my 300 WM with a brake.