Tikka T3X Stock Help

Haggin

Lil-Rokslider
I have a new to me T3x lite stainless (bought second hand but new) I went to change out the grip today to the more vertical style and either I’m a ham fisted moron or it was this way when I got it, but, the brass insert in the stock backed out after about three turns of the screw. The screw and insert are stuck ink the grip and not moving.

It didn’t so much back out as it slipped out and the screw appears to be cross threaded in the insert.

what are my options here? JB weld? Some sort of epoxy? Tape the heck out of it and go hunting? The grip is somewhat solid even without a screw in there. I don’t really want to but a new stock right now either.

I have a bear hunt in 14 days and was planning on using this rifle (lesson learned there, mod the rifle after the season) for this hunt. I actually show the rifle today and while it kicks like a 7lb 300 win mag will, it shoots very well.

Thanks in advance all.

OP
H

Haggin

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you. Appears I’m not alone. Tape or a screw from the junk drawer it is. There’s a few take offs on eBay but I’d rather just save for a better stock down the road

Dogman-K

FNG
I have not found a way to contact Tikka and report the issue. Since Beretta is now involved, I have no confidence in a solution from them. I, doubt that you will find many individuals who tried to get service from them were pleased with the outcome.

back to your issue, I would opt for using epoxy. My choice of brand would be JB Weld. I haven’t tried it on my stock but will in the near future.

I was hoping to find the correct sise insert and fix it "right" but have yet to find anyone who knows. Perhaps someone might respond with the answer.

If you can grab the insert, you should be able to take the screw out, then take the insert out and retap it, re-thread the screw, epoxy the insert in the stock again, and then you are good to go with the vertical grip. Otherwise cut off the insert, and install a new one, with a new screw.

Here is the problem: the insert isn’t shown as a part on the parts list and so far nobody has responded as to what the specs are for it.
Google inserts and find one that will work. Lots of companies sell inserts.

OP
H

Haggin

Lil-Rokslider
I was able to fix my issue, sort of. Sorry no pics, I just did it after not finding an insert I needed locally. I did locate some "wood inserts" at my local Ace, but they were either too large, or too close to too small to engage the stock appropriately and would have taken epoxy to work correctly. Here is what I did:

The insert has a notch in it, mounted into the stock at the bottom. Tikka uses epoxy to lock the insert in.

With the insert out, I removed the cross threaded screw, cleaned out this notch, then ran the screw through the insert from the backside (notched end) to clean up the threads and then again from the normal end. The steel screw cleaned up the brass threads nicely (nice enough).

Using the notch and a fat flat screwdriver, I screwed the insert back into the stock essentially upside down, with the notch facing out. There was still epoxy in the bottom of the hole, in retrospect: I should have cleaned that out; so the insert was a little proud of the mounting hole, do a quick grind with the dremel and it was flush. Replaced grip, carefully replaced the screw and tightened, including moving the insert a bit more as I tightened down.

Correct way? Probably not. Useable, looks like yes. If not, I'll figure something else out, likely a steel "wood insert" from the hardware store and some more amateur stock work.

Since this looks like it will work , I guess I'll remove the Mesa Precision stock from my cart and wait for that upgrade down the road.