Tikka T3x Stock Issue

Dogman-K

FNG
I can imagine that I’m going to catch some grief with this ... but here goes.

I just bought a new Tikka T3X light stainless 270. This is my first rifle purchase in my 75 years.
I decided to change the pistol grip to the vertical one as well as the beaver tail forearm offered by Tikka.

I had no issue with the forearm installation but the pistol grip was a nightmare. I removed the old grip with no issue but I put the new grip on the stock and the fit looked a bit off. I replaced the old one and it snapped right in place. So, I tried the new one and it slid in place but didn’t fit like quite like original. I pressed on it and the grip had enough bend in it where I thought that when I screw it in, it will fit a bit better. I checked the hole alignment and it looked pretty good - well it apparently wasn’t.

I started screw and began tightening and thought this is not quite right so I began reversing the screw out and damn if it became a huge struggle. Much to my dismay, the screw engaged a tiny bit into the brass insert a bit off angle but enough to unscrew the threaded insert.

I looked at the insert and the far end had the slot for a screwdriver so I with the help of a screwdriver and torx I seperated them but the brass was so soft that it broke off from the screw driver.

So now I sit here and need the brass threaded insert. I have no idea the size and thread pitch and Tikka parts list doesn’t show them.
Any idea of size and source for the threaded insert or another solutions would be appreciated.

And here I thought I was the only one that had done this! In my case I couldn't find a brass insert that exactly matched the OEM (nor could I get Tikka/Beretta on the phone to guide me on specs) AND I also managed to bend the screw as well. So through trial and error at Lowes I bought a few different sizes of brass inserts and matching screws and once I found the right combination I used a Dremel to trim the new screw to proper length. Getting the brass insert in can be tough (they like to break) so use a lock nut, put the lock nut on the tip of the screw, turn the screw into the insert a few turns then lock down the lock nut. Then insert/screw in the brass insert buy screwing in the longer screw. Loosen lock nut and remove screw. Then put grip on and replace screw (being careful not to cross thread them...as you and I have found out they don't like that). Hope this helps a little! I honestly don't remember the exact sizes I used and don't have the packaging anymore.

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
When the brass insert popped out of mine I just drilled it out a little deeper and ran a #14 pan head screw into it.

JFKinYK

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll join the club. Mine came out cross threaded before a bear hunt in 2020. I’m still emailing and getting increasingly angry with stoeger Canada (tikka customer service in Canada) for replacements. Every 1-2 months I bug them again. My nearest Lowes is a thousand miles away. A year later they’ve finally taken my credit card number for a 9 dollar part that still hasn’t been charged or arrived. I’ve now taken 5 animals with electrical tape holding my grip on! Maybe the tape is good luck?

Attachments

• B1B28713-053B-4EB7-BEA8-7ACF552D31B4.jpeg
    B1B28713-053B-4EB7-BEA8-7ACF552D31B4.jpeg
    208.5 KB · Views: 86
  • E2BD2B33-C04D-45A1-9233-A1BFA25793DD.jpeg
    E2BD2B33-C04D-45A1-9233-A1BFA25793DD.jpeg
    197 KB · Views: 87
  • 72118598-F05C-4B04-BBC1-843A589DDAA3.jpeg
    72118598-F05C-4B04-BBC1-843A589DDAA3.jpeg
    200.5 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

gilby

Lil-Rokslider
Is the grip replacement a design flaw? I have been waiting for a T3X 300wsm to come in stock and am planning on doing the vertical grip replacement.

OP
D

Dogman-K

FNG
Mid Ga Hunter, I am guessing it was metric???
If this is a regular black stock, I have one I’ll send you for the cost of shipping. Even has the vertical grip on it. Brand new with the stickers still on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, it’s a regular stock and I would love to have it

wyosam

WKR
Mid Ga Hunter, I am guessing it was metric???

Yes, it’s a regular stock and I would love to have it

Pm me your address and I’ll box it up and get a shipping price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D

Dogman-K

FNG
Is the grip replacement a design flaw? I have been waiting for a T3X 300wsm to come in stock and am planning on doing the vertical grip replacement.
It sure is a flaw - maybe production issue or perhaps a design issue. This is the fit with the vertical pistol grip - not too good 58650AB8-B5F4-4DA3-96B7-010D8271B943.jpeg

Rob5589

WKR
I had no issues with either of mine. If I did, I'd just epoxy the grip onto the stock. There's no reason to remove it so being permanent should not be a problem.

OP
D

Dogman-K

FNG
This is the fit withe the original grip.

Attachments

• 52E5E784-16CA-4C13-A161-C4A0300160C6.jpeg
    52E5E784-16CA-4C13-A161-C4A0300160C6.jpeg
    211.7 KB · Views: 33
OP
D

Dogman-K

FNG
It seems like I’ve been searching for the specifications for that damn threaded insert for 2 lifetimes. I posted on numerous websites and nobody responded. I emailed Beretta through my account and never got a response. After making the best measurements that I could make on the mutilated screw & insert, I couldn’t find an available metric insert Close to my measurements. I decided that the insert that would be remotely close to what I measured was a #8-32 insert. It worked!!

I’m not convince that was what TIKKA used but close enough. Now, I can use the original grip or the vertical grip. I might note that the problem started with the vertical grip not properly fitting the factory stock and the pilot hole that accepts the threaded insert was very slightly mispositioned. With a bit of tweaking, things worked out.

I hope this info is helpful for another lost soul.

Last edited:

Gila

WKR
I have a spare screw and It looks about like it is 8x32. Yes, you must slide it on but there is a lip toward the bottom that may bind and not align properly. When you slide the grip on make sure one side is outside of that bottom lip. Then snap the other side on until it is outside of the other lip if it won’t slide on properly. My grip fits perfectly. You need to watch the torque because the brass inserts are soft and it is easy to over torque. If you own a rifle you will eventually need a fat wrench.

nk02442

FNG
It sure is a flaw - maybe production issue or perhaps a design issue. This is the fit with the vertical pistol grip - not too good View attachment 287732
It is an easy fix. Hit the backside of the vertical grip with heat (5 seconds with torch worked), it will melt the plastic inside to where it can be formed to stock, press in, screw down and let it cool. Now you have a perfect fit vert grip.