Tikka T3x Superlite 6.5 Creedmoor

mhazime

FNG
HI, I recently picked up a Tikka T3x Superlite 6.5 Creedmoor that I plan on using for a elk hunt in November in Montana. I have been practicing with and was planning on using a Savage Model 11 Trophy Hunter 6.5 Creedmoor but I have had so many problems with it I decided to upgrade to the Tikka.

I need a recommendation on a good scope for the Tikka. I don't want to spend a arm and a leg (this trip is already costing a ton) but something I can rely on and be comfortable with for a elk hunt in Montana. The Savage has the Nikon BDC 3-9x40 reticle. I thought about just using that and moving it to the Tikka but wasn't sure. So many options on scopes but don't really want to spend more than 500$ on a scope if I need to buy one. Thoughts?

Loper

WKR
If it were me, I’d get some good rings, stick with the Nikon for this season and keep shots within 300 yards. I’d save some more money and buy a really good scope next season.

OP
M

mhazime

FNG
SWFA 6x or 3-9x with Milquad mil/mil reticle in Sportsmatch TO84 rings.

Just found some info on this on another site specific to the T3x. Thanks for this. Any specific thoughts on the 6x versus 3-9x?

PNWGATOR

WKR
Both of the scopes I recommended above will do everything important a scope must do. Hold zero, dial reliably and return to zero. The reticle is also VERY useable. Both are below your price point. They’re both on ‘back order’, so I recommend back ordering ASAP or find a used one. Neither would require an upgrade down the road.

The 6x is the easy button. Simple. The 3-9x is a fantastic hunting scope as well.

OP
M

mhazime

FNG
If it were me, I’d get some good rings, stick with the Nikon for this season and keep shots within 300 yards. I’d save some more money and buy a really good scope next season.

I know that probably is the right decision. One of these things where I don't know if I will be able to do another trip like this next year. Hence since I am so invested this year, I want to do everything I can to set myself up for success. :) Plus I am kind of annoyed with the Savage causing me so many problems, I have now learned not to go cheap so if I have to spend the extra buck I will.

OP
M

mhazime

FNG
Both of the scopes I recommended above will do everything important a scope must do. Hold zero, dial reliably and return to zero. The reticle is also VERY useable. Both are below your price point. They’re both on ‘back order’, so I recommend back ordering ASAP or find a used one. Neither would require an upgrade down the road.

The 6x is the easy button. Simple. The 3-9x is a fantastic hunting scope as well.

Here is the link for the 6x. https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-6x42-tactical-30mm-riflescope-3.html

The link for the 3-9x is showing at 599$?

morgaj1

WKR
What problems have you had with the Savage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

mhazime

FNG
What problems have you had with the Savage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ejection issues, misfire issues. Cant seem to get it to group. Sometimes I do and than I don't know what happens. Had someone I trust look at it and thought it would be good to send to the manufacturer for a look.

philcox

WKR
I run a Leupold 4.5-14x40 CDS/ZL with Talley Lightweight Low rings. Upgraded to a Mesa Precision Altitude stock. If I were to keep the standard stock, I would have used the Extra Low Talley Rings.

Sadler

WKR
Here is the link for the 6x. https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-6x42-tactical-30mm-riflescope-3.html

The link for the 3-9x is showing at 599$?

I got lucky and picked up a used 3-9x42 tactical on eBay the other day for $400ish. I’d recommend checking there everyday in order to get one before fall. I called swfa and backordered another 3-9 and a fixed 6 and was told they wouldn’t be in stock until at least October.

OP
M

mhazime

FNG
Thanks everyone. I ended up ordering a Vortex Viper 4-14x44 with a BDC. I ordered the sportsmatch rings for mounting.