Tikka T3x superlite 7mm-08 accuracy issues

Bravo6

FNG
I wonder if there is something about those Tikka/Sako barrels in 7mm-08, I know this is an old thread, but I have a Sako 85 Finnlight in 7mm-08 and I'm shocked at the 2.5 - 3" Groups after getting used to close to one hole groups with other Tikka's and Sakos that I've owned. Any further thoughts on what type of ammo might tend to shoot best out of these barrels?

SIontheHunt

Lil-Rokslider
I would just call Tikka and see what they will do about it. You have tried enough different loads to say the rifle is not shooting to their standards. One of the reasons you probably chose to buy a Tikka is their 1 MOA guarantee, you should use it. Just call them, send it back, and have them fix it. I have found when a rifle doesn't show signs of good accuracy right off it never will.
i have the exact same issue with mine. Called baretta (tikkas go though them) and they said 12 weeks to have them look at it after i pay to ship it out. I will try grinding down the support lug and different ammo before i wait 12 weeks to have them look at it.

I recently got a 7-08 SL and it’s best group has been .75” with 4 kinds of factory ammo tried so far. Some were quite bad. I had barrel contact with the side of the forend I had to fix too.

Bravo6

FNG
I recently got a 7-08 SL and it’s best group has been .75” with 4 kinds of factory ammo tried so far. Some were quite bad. I had barrel contact with the side of the forend I had to fix too.
What ammo is giving you the best groups? How did the Hornady Precision Hunter work for you...if you tried that?

amassi

WKR
Helped a buddy with load development on a superlite 7-08 last spring
Fixed all the normal tikka stuff and still shot like crap
Finally dropped bullet weights to 120 ballistic tips and varget and bug holes. He needed a lead free CA option so we loaded 120 ttsx also over varget and had great results.
For whatever reason that particular rifle wouldn't shoot 140s or 150s

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Mine doesnt like the factory 120 TTSX or 120 BTs I tried. I dont know if I am going to keep it yet as this was supposed to be a gun I could just buy ammo for but if I do Ill have to pick up some dies and load for it. I still need to try some factory 140 Accubonds tough. If I go the reload route I will try with the 162 ELD-X.

amassi

WKR
Mine doesnt like the factory 120 TTSX or 120 BTs I tried. I dont know if I am going to keep it yet as this was supposed to be a gun I could just buy ammo for but if I do Ill have to pick up some dies and load for it. I still need to try some factory 140 Accubonds tough. If I go the reload route I will try with the 162 ELD-X.
I suspect it may be a slow twist so a lighter eld might be the ticket

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I have a Tikka O6 that I absolutely love. It likes super cheap ammo and doesn’t shoot my hand loads or higher end factory worth a crap. I don’t think they all are as forgiving as the internet makes them seem.

Rockwell

FNG
Interesting feedback, it would be nice if this one I just got likes cheaper ammo as mentioned above as I haven't gone down the roll your own program yet. My LGS only had one box of browning bxr 144's in stock, will have to see what it does. The barrel is making contact on a rib about 4" in front of the receiver which I'll address at a later date if this doesn't shoot.

My older 300wsm shoots bug holes, so I'll be a bit let down if this doesn't do well. I'd be happy with moa if at all possible, interesting times ahead it seems.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
My SL in 08 shoots real well with barnes. Currently running 139 gn lrx over RL 17 powder.

When got the rifle I did take it out of the stock to check things out and did notice the stock rib everyone talks about on these guns. I ground it down so the barrel is free floated all the way. Action screws are torqued per Tikka.

RF76

FNG
My 7mm-08 Tikka T3 shoots under 1" with 140gr Accubonds and Ballistic tips, but when I tried some Hornady SST the groups open up to 1.5 and 2". I tried Nosler, Federal Premium and Winchester with the Accubonds and ballistic tips with groups under 1".

FishfinderAK

Lil-Rokslider
Just beginning to work up a load for my sons TSX compact 7/08.
Think we found a starting point, with 139 SSTs and Varget.
f8d6182f902e1d9cb8f6eb02d0f5ce90.jpg

I have a T3X lite 30-06. Groups do spread out when the barrel heats up, but with a cold barrel and cheap S&B 150 grain ammo, I can get 0.75” groups. With Federal Power Shok, it’s more like 1-1.5” groups.