Tikka T3X Superlite: Questions on 300 Win Mag vs. 30-06

Man this forum is a wealth of info. Used a Savage 220 slug gun for whitetail season this year in PA as the location I was hunting was shotgun only. Need to get a rifle on order quick so it's here in time for the movers to pack out to Hawaii in June. I was convinced I was going to order a T3X Superlite 300 Win Mag until I found some info saying the T3X Superlite is not a great option for 300 Win Mag due to the lack of compatibility with the heavier loadings, seems like many are saying you can't really shoot above the 180 gr rounds without issues due to magazine length and ROT. Tikka has addressed the ROT issue though correct? Seems like I'm seeing they used to be 1:11 and are now 1:10.

Considering 30-06 instead, but I'm open to being schooled on the topic altogether. Don't go with Tikka, don't worry about the heavier rounds, they shoot the the heavier rounds just fine, you would do best with 30-06, etc.

Intent is an all-around rifle for mountainous terrain, shooting out to 400 yards, wind in Hawaii terrain is known for swirling, game as small as whitetails and wild pigs and goats up to elk.

Wapiti151

WKR
I’d go 30-06…that’d be fine for anything out to 400 yds and a tikka SL in a win mag is going to pack a pretty good punch when it comes to recoil. With that being said, can’t go wrong with either IMO

I can’t help a whole lot as I just acquired a T3x lite chambered in 300 win mag but I’ll let you know my experience thus far. I’m shooting the 200 eld-x at 2800 FPS using retumbo. All the posts are right in that you can’t maximize case length by loading long because of the short magazine. I cut the metal piece out of the end of the magazine and used a chainsaw file to remove some composite. I can load 3.360” oal. I am shooting 3/4 MOA and I’m still in my load development stage. You’ll be fine with either of the two rounds mentioned but I’d go with the 300. Recoil isn’t bad and you will definitely have a velocity advantage.

MHWASH

WKR
The 1-11 will shoot the 200s just fine. For a max of 400 yards, I’d go with a less recoiling round like the 270, 7-08 or similar.

Mulyhuntr

WKR
You be magazine limited with either of those calibers and I sure wouldn't want to shoot a 300 from a superlite with no brake.

rlmmarine

WKR
I have the sl in 300wm and i love it im planning on threading the barrel to install a compensator so i can spot my shot but the recoil on my shoulder is not a problem
Whatever way you go you will love the gun
Cant say enough good things about it

PNWGATOR

WKR
Neither.

Personally, for your application and if it’s legal to kill big game in HI with .22 centerfires, I’d go with a .223. If not legal, then I’d go with a 6.5CM only because they don’t offer a factory 6CM.

Bullets matter.

Everything you‘re wanting to accomplish can be done VERY effectively with WAY less recoil.

Out to 400 yards either is good, a good aerodynamic bullet (edit: such as a 180 AccuBond, 200 AccuBond) in the '06 will get the work done. I really like the 300 WinMag however mine weighs 8 lbs. 7 oz. all up. A 30-06 is not a hard kicking rifle so I wouldn't be concerned about that. I stay away from brakes, they can damage your hearing in the field and are disrespectful to those around you at the range. But can wholeheartedly recommend a good recoil pad.

Another thing, I would absolutely get a good shoulder recoil pad for use at the range. You won't notice the recoil in the field.

Last edited:
I don't see a need to shoot heavies if you are only shooting to 400 yards. With that said, if your capable and willing to do a little work I do what Gamehearse above suggested. However, you may want to check out this thread: https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/aftermarket-tikka-magazine-prc-saum-wsm-platforms.130823/

Tikka magnum calibers in general are made for single stack magazines for proper feeding; as such, double stack just don't feed well. But, now, it looks like you have some options with 300 WSM and 300 WM that actually work, to ACIS length.

My T3X in 300 WM (1:11) shoots 190 gr Berger’s just fine. We have different levels of recoil tolerance; I don’t mind shooting mine (8 #) and I’m accurate with it.

When I was working in HI, I regularly used a Tikka T3 in 270 Win. On my hunts out there, it did a number on axis deer and wild boar.

For hunting inside 400 yards, I’d avoid the magnums (not needed). Look at the 6.5 CM, 7mm-08, and 270 Win. If you still want “more”, look at the 270 WSM and 6.5 PRC.

Last edited:
I have a Tikka T3x Superlite in .30 06 and shoot handload 178 ELD-X without a brake. I can't imagine the Superlite platorm in 300 Win Mag. I'd rather go pattern my turkey gun with 3.5" shells than shoot an unbraked 300 Win Mag Superlite lol

I have a Tikka T3x Superlite in .30 06 and shoot handload 178 ELD-X without a brake. I can't imagine the Superlite platorm in 300 Win Mag. I'd rather go pattern my turkey gun with 3.5" shells than shoot an unbraked 300 Win Mag Superlite lol
Word of advice: don’t shoot prone when patterning a shotgun. Highly advise not doing that for two different shotguns back to back. That was one of the stupidest things I’ve done in my life. But it did confirm both shotguns were good to go for turkey.

My unbraked T3X (8 pounds) in 300 WM has no recoil in comparison.

Ucsdryder

WKR
This^^^^

Been there, done that, my groups LOOKED like I was patterning a shotgun!

OP
A
I appreciate the opinions from those that time the time to share them. Man I go back and forth. I wonder about ammo availability, and what will I be able to find in Hawaii and just what's the easiest to find anywhere? 30-06 seems like the easiest ammo to find just about anywhere for a guy that doesn't load his own right? I also think about, would I ever actually take a shot on a big game animal beyond 400 yards? I think no, but I've never looked down the scope at a trophy animal at 500 yards either. So why not a 6.5 Creedmoor? Will I be shooting at anything bigger than a mule deer in the next 3 years? No, but I do want to be a single rifle hunter, which means overkill for some things and maybe pushing the limits of the cartridge for others. But I'm sure many people across the US have taken elk with a 6.5.

VinoVino

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate the opinions from those that time the time to share them. Man I go back and forth. I wonder about ammo availability, and what will I be able to find in Hawaii and just what's the easiest to find anywhere? 30-06 seems like the easiest ammo to find just about anywhere for a guy that doesn't load his own right? I also think about, would I ever actually take a shot on a big game animal beyond 400 yards? I think no, but I've never looked down the scope at a trophy animal at 500 yards either. So why not a 6.5 Creedmoor? Will I be shooting at anything bigger than a mule deer in the next 3 years? No, but I do want to be a single rifle hunter, which means overkill for some things and maybe pushing the limits of the cartridge for others. But I'm sure many people across the US have taken elk with a 6.5.
I’d go 7mm-08 or .308 for what you’re talking about.

TxxAgg

WKR