Tikka T3x Superlite SS - weights and setup pics

ghott

Lil-Rokslider
Thought I would share some info I gathered while setting up my first Tikka. Haven't gotten to take this to the range yet, hopefully soon. I'm excited to see how it shoots - I've only heard good things about Tikkas.

No real reason for sharing other than hoping it might help someone searching the forum for info in the future. I know that stuff like this has helped me out many times in the past when searching through the forums.

Trigger spring info:
* This particular T3x Superlite (.270win) came stock (non-adjusted) with a trigger pull weight measured at an average of: 2lbs 7oz
* The Mountain Tactical Spring, with the screw adjusted about halfway in had an average trigger pull weight of: 13.5oz
* ^^^ the MT spring was a little too light for me, so I installed the Elay (eBay) spring w/ screw adjusted about halfway in, it had a pull of: 1lb 6oz
* Both the MT spring and Elay spring passed rigorous bump testing
* All of these were measured with a Wheeler Engineer Trigger tester - average of 3 pulls with a "medium speed" and fluid trigger pull
* The manual calls for 44in-lbs for torquing the action/receiver back into the stock; I used 40-in lbs with a nice bump on the end of the butt stock to make sure the lug was seated properly before fully torquing.

Optics/mounting info:
* I bedded the Murphy rail since it had a gap on the back of between 0.0015" and 0.002" (w/ the front screws lightly snugged down)
* I really like the Murphy rail - it uses two locating dowels that match the holes in the receiver as well as the larger recoil lug that matches the action in the front
* I used 20in-lbs for torquing the rail to the action
* I tried NF Ultralite "Medium" (1.00") rings, but the scope sat a little too high for my liking, so I used NF Ultralite "Low" (0.885") rings instead (pics of both are below)
* I used 65in-lbs for torquing the ring bases (cross bolts) to the rail and 25in-lbs for torquing the top ring halves

Misc stuff:
* The Tikka vertical/pistol grip is a simple/cheap upgrade that I really like...much more comfortable IMO
* The Tikka trigger, even with the stock spring, is fantastic. With the lighter spring - it's mint...honestly the nicest of any of my rifles.
* The Blackhawk Picatinny adapter is a pretty nice piece if you're wanting to mount a bipod with a quick-release picatinny style mount, but don't want to drill another hole in your stock. I'd recommend adding a piece of leather underneath the rubber "gasket" that comes w/ the adapter too

Weights:
Tikka T3x Superlite SS chambered in .270win; 22.4" barrel - 6lbs 0.1oz
Murphy Precision 20MOA Stainless Steel Receiver Length Rail (some epoxy, no mounting screws): 5.7oz
NightForce UltraLite 0.885" 30mm Low Ring Set (4-screw) A118 (with all screws): 3.05oz
Leupold VX6-HD 3-18x50 with Leupold Flip Covers and Battery: 1lb 6.75oz
Blackhawk Swivel Stud Picatinny Rail Adapter: 1.55oz
Atlas BT46-LW17 PSR Bipod (5" to 9") w/ Quick Lever: 13.45oz
Butler Creek Comfort Stretch Sling w/ Swivels: 4.8oz
Rifle weight with everything above plus neoprene stock sleeve and Tikka vertical grip (no ammo), as show in last few pics below: 9lbs 5.05oz

Tikka T3x Superlite SS chambered in .270win:
tikka1.jpg

tikka2.jpg

tikka3.jpg

tikka4.jpg

Trigger spring swap:
tikka5.jpg

tikka6.jpg

Left = Mountain Tactical, Middle = Elay (eBay), Right = Stock:
tikka6-5_mtn-tactical_elay_stock.jpg

Murphy Precision Steel 20MOA Receiver Length Rail:
tikka7.jpg

NightForce UltraLite 0.885" 30mm Low Ring Set (4-screw) A118:
tikka8.jpg

Leupold VX6-HD 3-18x50 with Leupold Flip Covers and Battery:
tikka9.jpg

NightForce UltraLite "Medium" 1.0" Rings:
tikka10_nf1-mid1.jpg

NightForce UltraLite "Medium" 1.0" Rings:
tikka11_nf1-mid2.jpg

NightForce UltraLite "Low" 0.885" Rings:
tikka12_nf2-low1.jpg

NightForce UltraLite "Low" 0.885" Rings:
tikka13_nf2-low2.jpg

Blackhawk Swivel Stud Picatinny Rail Adapter:
tikka15.jpg

Atlas BT46-LW17 PSR Bipod (5" to 9") w/ Quick Lever:
tikka16.jpg

Butler Creek Comfort Stretch Sling w/ Swivels:
tikka17.jpg

Complete setup:
tikka19.jpg

tikka21.jpg

tikka22.jpg

This rifle is a T3x SL SS in 30-06 with all factory appointments and a rattle can paint job. Leupold vx3i 3.5-10 and Talley aluminum rings. Strap not shown is 1-1/4” nylon web. With a full magazine it weighs 1/2 oz over 7.5 lbs. I’m guessing the extra weight of yours is in the scope, obviously bipod, and probably heavier barrel. I think the barrel exterior is identical but mine has a bigger hole therefore less metal.
Edit in this pic it is sporting an air tech limbsaver and have since switched out the factory grip for the steeper pistol grip (which probably adds 1/4 oz.)

1979B15F-C4B2-4C55-BF9C-131568861781.jpeg
A

098E1C1C-710E-465C-9EE5-9E533A1A532D.jpegTikka Superlite 6.5CM
Mountain Tactical bottom metal
Mesa Altitude stock
Elite 6500 2.5x15

Attachments

• 896E5D6D-30A0-4100-9AA7-B87209B3AE5B.jpeg
    896E5D6D-30A0-4100-9AA7-B87209B3AE5B.jpeg
    752.2 KB · Views: 115
How do u like your Mesa stock? I bought my SS TX3 for $500 on sale, so I could buy another gun or a stock if I play my cards right. Tough decision

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Its cheekpiece isn't high enough for my face and style of shooting. I see that on Mesas website they have a adjustable cheekpiece for R700 I believe which I would buy in a second if they made it available for Tikkas. That being said the stock is bulletproof. Light, looks cool and made the rifle more accurate than it was in the factory stock.

archp625

WKR
Its cheekpiece isn't high enough for my face and style of shooting. I see that on Mesas website they have a adjustable cheekpiece for R700 I believe which I would buy in a second if they made it available for Tikkas. That being said the stock is bulletproof. Light, looks cool and made the rifle more accurate than it was in the factory stock.
Can you post a link to the cheek piece or a picture? Thank you.

Buck197

WKR
How well.do those rattle can paint.jobs hold up. Ive seen a little info on longevity, but not consistent. I bought a bunch of the rustled camo to give it a whirl, im chicken to do it as I suck at anything artistic like, haha, true story. I want to look at the pictures you posted of that vertical grip on it better, thatd be nice.

Interesting, Thank you. I wonder how much weight it adds to the stock.
I asked them if it was available for Tikka and was slammed with a solid no. I would totally buy one. Won’t buy another though just because I need the cheek piece. Gonna have to try a Manners or McMillan.

My first rifle paint job so I don’t know about durability. My previous rifle had a walnut stock. I tend to be hard on gear and the walnut stock shows it so I assume the paint on plastic will also get beat to crap. To things in favor of it... 1) can’t look any worse than plain black plastic. 2) I have more paint. The actual paint job was fun to do and gear maintenance/mods makes me happy. If you screw up the paint job, just do it over, the hardest part is masking off parts you don’t want to paint. I’m gonna try o find the YouTube link.

$8 paint job

I elaborated on his technique a little, used 3 colors, and I made a couple pieces of 3/4 pine vaguely shaped like a rifle stock to practice on before I did my stock. I think I’m gonna just leave the pistol grip black. Also shown Outdoor Connection strap, and extende 5 round magazine.image.jpg

Antares

WKR
I like the black grip. What is that Leupold? Looks like a 56mm objective on a 1" tube!

For buck197 or anyone else who wants to paint their stock, I did another post here awhile back with some detail and pics. Search “CamoTikka”

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Love me some Superlite. Just curious. Why go with medium rings? With that factory comb angle it looks like you’ll be stretching to get an ideal sight picture.