Tikka T3X Variations

Tberg

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking for information on the variations of Tikka T3X line of rifles. I've never owned a Tikka so I'm hoping some of you Tikka guys can chime in here. As I understand it, the actions themselves did not change much from the T3. So any knowledge of the T3 variations would be helpful too.

Aside from the stock and barrel fluting is there much/any difference between the actions of the Super Lite (Sportsmans Warehouse), Hunter stainless, and Lite Stainless?

Are the Synthetic stocks that much lighter than the wood stocks?

As far as I know there's no difference between the older t3 and the new t3x actions. The only differences are a metal bolt shroud, better more grippy stock and a little better recoil pad on the new t3x. It's still worth upgrading the recoil pad to a limbsaver bough. I've got a t3 lite stainless and a t3x superlite and both are great guns.

I'd stay away from the hunter, just because I've seen a few that looked really rough after just a couple years worth of use. I prefer synthetic anyway though.

There is a difference between T3 actions and T3X actions being a larger ejection port and more tapped holes for scope mounting.

T3X also uses a steel recoil lug and bolt shroud.

No difference between the superlite, hunter stainless and lite stainless T3X actions.

GKPrice

Banned
the T3x comes factory with about $200 in performance add ons for $50-$100 more - The now deleted factory rings were "OK" but certainly not up to the quality of Talleys, DNS, Mountain Tactical, Warne or Leupold

The "superlight" variant is sold only by Sportsmans Warehouse and a higher price camo version from Cabela's - The factory "Hunter" model has the SS action & fluted barrel albeit a wood stock, it's special order generally

In my honest opinion the differences are aesthetic only. If you like to single feed or have large sausage fingers like myself then the larger ejection port may be worth it. other than that I don't think any of the "improvements" really make the rifle function better

OP
T

Tberg

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks to all who replied. I decided on a T3 in 6.5 swede. It's blued and has a fluted barrel. I picked up a take off T3X stock for $100 to replace the ugly mossy oak stock that the gun comes with. Also upgrading the Recoil pad, and bought a vertical grip for the T3X stock. Some extra low talley rings and a VX3 4.5-14x40mm cds to top it off. This will be the first rifle I own that will never see a factory round. I've got 100 pieces of new lapua brass, 1 lb of R16, and a few other powders to play with, as well as, a box of 143gr ELD-X's to get started. As soon as the rifle arrives (Monday!) I can measure for OAL and start load development.

Last edited:

Rwbrew3

WKR
Hope it's ok OP to add a few questions to your thread, I'm a huge fan of tikka, have a t3lite in 308 and it is a absolute tack driver,
So I pulled the trigger on a TAC A1 in 6.5 on order and should have by next Wednesday. Wondering if anyone else has this and if I should look at doing anything to it, I'm in the market now for a good optic.

OP
T

Tberg

Lil-Rokslider
Hope it's ok OP to add a few questions to your thread, I'm a huge fan of tikka, have a t3lite in 308 and it is a absolute tack driver,
So I pulled the trigger on a TAC A1 in 6.5 on order and should have by next Wednesday. Wondering if anyone else has this and if I should look at doing anything to it, I'm in the market now for a good optic.

I'm cool with it, lets keep it going. If I had a T3x TAC A1; I'd be looking for a suppressor.:)

Rwbrew3

WKR
Well i had a dilemma on scopes and couldn't decide between the NF atacr or the vortex razor gen 2 4.5-27x56, after hours of reading and all the phone calls to buddies and research i pulled the trigger on the vortex and i think i made the right choice. It's a bit heavier than the NF but has a few options i liked better and the warranty of coarse. I think this should do the new tikka justice and now for rings LOL, never ends....