Tikka T3X vs Weatherby Vanguard Badlands (or similar models) .300wm

I’m looking at picking up a new rifle for later season hunts as well as a caribou hunt I’m booked for in 2021. Does anybody have experience with any of the weatherby vanguards or T3X? Preferably At a similar price point. I’ve been reading reviews on the T3X and don’t see a lot of hate other than the stock feeling real plastic-y. If you were going to purchase one of the two as your long term rifle, which would it be?

The main knock against the T3x’s in 30 cal is the goofy 11 twist. Up to you whether that’ll affect anything. You won’t notice unless you want to shoot >200 grain loads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Browning X Bolt Speed in 30 06 and a Browning X Bolt Long Range Max in 300 Win Mag. Both are awesome rifles and not much more expensive than what you mentioned. As the speed is lighter it would be better for long back pack hunting and the Max long range is sweet if you want to stretch out the distance but is heavier. I also have a Tikka 308 which is a great gun.

I like the Brownings as they have standard barrel twist rates, a better stock and a muzzle break. Makes the 2 rifles shoot like 243's! The triggers are better on the Tikka but either a MCarbo spring for $12 or a Timney trigger for $170 make the Brownings sweet shooters.

Gobbler36

WKR
Can’t really speak for the weather by but I’m sold on tikkas. I’m not a great shot but I’ve been shooting a 3/4 inch group with mine strait out the box with out of the box ammo that’s 200yd so I was impressed with that then my father in law turns around and puts 3 shots in a 1 moa plate at 1000yds with his out of the box with factory precision hunters. I know there are better shooters out there but for just the average joe like me I’ve never gotten that kind of accuracy out of a gun

EcoastDG

FNG
I have owned and hunted with both. I use the Tikka more now because I like the detachable magazine feature. The new line up of Weatherbys does look tempting though.

OP
coloyooper
I'm going to have to put my hands on a Tikka to see how I like the stock and fit. I know the Weatherby fits nicely.

Just remembered, getting old sucks, that I had a Vanguard back in the early 90's. Sold it off. Not a bad gun just didn't seem to balance for me. Between that and the Tikka, hands down the Tikka.

Really need to play a bit with the Tikka and anything else you can. The Tikka and Browning feel very different but I like both. Both shoot lights out. For me it came down to length of pull and stock grip size/fit. I'm 6' 3" with larger hands and the Browning fit better. I also like a heavier rifle and muzzle break. Makes shooting my 30 06 and 300 Win Mag like shooting a 243. Now just remember to wear good hearing protection, cause they are loud!!!!!! Had some neighbors texting around asking who was shooting a cannon last weekend....lol.

Tikka and restock down the road! The stocks not bad on the t3x I have, it’s not a manners. But the stock will cost more than the gun when I add one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wolf76

FNG
Have both a vanguard and a Tikka, but short action 308.
I didn't notice any difference in accuracy.
The differences are triggers, stocks, twist rates, and possibly mag length.

For a 300 wm-my favorite cartridge- heavier bullets (200+) really need a 9 twist for optimal stability. But you can often get by with a by 10 twist. Just use the Berger stability app and see what I'm talking about.

I've heard there LA Tikka suffers from a short mag well~3.4". This would be a deal breaker for me. My loads with a 215 Berger are 3.73" COAL.

The action is smoother on the Tikka. The trigger is better on the vanguard. I prefer the vanguard stock.

Another option to look at us bergara rifles. Similar price point and well made.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I do not have any experience with Weatherby rifles but I do own three Tikkas. I have two T3X (6.5 Creedmoor/300 Win Mag) and one T1X (17 HMR). All shoot sub-MOA. With the exception of the 6.5s, Tikkas do have a slower twist rate than recommended. However, I would not consider that a deal breaker. My 300 Win Mag shoots 190 grain Bergers and is dead nuts accurate to 1000 yards; not taken it any further.

Each rifle is different. One can stabilize one round just fine while an identical rifle may not.

One overlooked consideration is does the rifle fit you (or give you the option to adjust fitment).

Smokeslider

Lil-Rokslider
I do not have any experience with Weatherby rifles but I do own three Tikkas. I have two T3X (6.5 Creedmoor/300 Win Mag) and one T1X (17 HMR). All shoot sub-MOA. With the exception of the 6.5s, Tikkas do have a slower twist rate than recommended. However, I would not consider that a deal breaker. My 300 Win Mag shoots 190 grain Bergers and is dead nuts accurate to 1000 yards; not taken it any further.

Each rifle is different. One can stabilize one round just fine while an identical rifle may not.

One overlooked consideration is does the rifle fit you (or give you the option to adjust fitment).

I assume you are reloading those bergers? Do you mind sharing your starting recipe? I understand mine will be slightly different.

I have a Tikka T3X 300WM and started with Nosler but that thing wouldn't shoot them worth a darn. On a wim, I fired some Hornandy 200 Gr ELD-X and it likes those much better. about 1 MOA accuracy. I've always liked bergers but haven't tried in this gun. Didn't think it was worth going down the Berger route considering the seating depth limitations due to the detachable magazine.....