Tikka T3x

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider
Was actually able to find a few of the models I was looking and after comparing the Tikka T3x and Christensen Arm Mesa I decided to go Tikka T3x in 7mm-08 the money I'll be saving i can put some good glass on it and put a limbsaver on it. Any other accessories I should be looking at?

I’d highly recommend their aftermarket vertical grip too. It’s a cheap upgrade too that’s well worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WKR
Was actually able to find a few of the models I was looking and after comparing the Tikka T3x and Christensen Arm Mesa I decided to go Tikka T3x in 7mm-08 the money I'll be saving i can put some good glass on it and put a limbsaver on it. Any other accessories I should be looking at?
I just got my first Tikka recently. I don't know much of anything about rifles so my opinion is mostly worthless, but for what it might be worth, I really like this rifle. I did purchase the vertical grip, and it's worth doing IMO. I don't have any need or desire to change anything else at this point (it's wearing Sportsmatch rings and a Super Chicken 6x42).

Vandy321

WKR
The lumley Ti bolt handle with carbon fiber knob is a big upgrade over the stock in terms of feel. Longer, lighter, much easier to work the bolt, feels great in the hand.

It is simple:
1) Spend the money on the best optic that you can.
2) If recoil is too much, then do a Limbsaver and/or brake (if the increase in noise does not bother you).
3) If there's money left over, get handloads developed for it.
4) Take a few one-on-one training sessions.

Shoot the rifle and see how it shoots. Some folks do upgrades because they want to and not necessarily because they need to. If the rifle doesn't shoot, sell it and buy another. Rinse and repeat until you get one that shoots well. You won't be out all that much money. But you can spend all the money on a rifle and its "required" upgrades and still have one that does not shoot all that well (assuming a competent shooter). Good luck recouping your total cost, or near it, as only a fool will pay $1500+ for a Tikka.

I have not seen a trigger manufacturer provide a guarantee of X percent increase in accuracy. I have not seen a grip manufacturer provide a guarantee of X percent increase in accuracy. I have not seen a stock manufacturer provide a guarantee of X percent increase in accuracy. The only guarantee that you have with these upgrades is a lighter wallet.

I have two T3Xs (6.5 CM and 300 WM) and both shoot well under 0.5 MOA (bipod with rear rest just like I hunt). Both use handloads and have no aftermarket upgrades.

Many people would be better served taking some one-on-one shooting classes than doing these upgrades. This is applicable to myself. Nothing like having all your flaws captured on video and pointed out one by one. It is humbling but extremely enlightening.

TxxAgg

WKR
The vertical grip and new spring will cost less than $30 total. Well worth it.

Degreasing and Properly torquing the action screws and scope mounting hardware is a big plus also.

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
Mine has a vertical grip, $10 trigger spring and a Sterk bolt handle. It’s getting a seri3s of upgrades in the future as a project rifle of mine, but those three right there are in the “the rifle should have come that way” category. I also stabilized the stock and bedded the action.

wyosam

WKR
The lumley Ti bolt handle with carbon fiber knob is a big upgrade over the stock in terms of feel. Longer, lighter, much easier to work the bolt, feels great in the hand.

I’m sure it’s nice, but “much easier to work the bolt” seems excessive with a Tikka. Its not like its a Savage that needs a jack handle to manage the sandpaper like feel. I’ve put a heck of a lot of rounds through Tikkas, and never once thought about the amount of work I was putting in to working the bolt, nor have I ever had any issue maintaining target alignment while doing so. Not sure I’ve ever had a non-savage where I even gave working the bolt a second thought. Maybe its just because I don’t get the huge bolt knob craze.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vandy321

WKR
To each his own. The Tikka bolt strikes me as a bolt handle for carnies...small hands, smell like cabbage. Maybe thats a thing in Europe?

Yes, the tikka bolt is smooth either way though. The longer handle in not needed, but does make it feel more like a big boy rifle

Also, on the trigger spring. Buy made in the USA, buy Mtn Tactical's spring. I ordered from yodave, (not knowing he was in Canada)...paid $9 to ship a $10 spring and when I tried to cancel or return the order because it will easily take a month to clear customs and be delivered, he's not responding to emails and doesn't list a phone on his website. Lesson learned.

Last edited:
OP
S

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider
For those that have Tikka's are you satisfied with the factory stock.

I have no issues or complaints with mine. They fit me fine. There are no negative impacts on accuracy. They've also done extremely well under a wide variety of environmental conditions.

This is with a sample size of two T3X and one T1X.

OP
S

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider
I have no issues or complaints with mine. They fit me fine. There are no negative impacts on accuracy. They've also done extremely well under a wide variety of environmental conditions.

This is with a sample size of two T3X and one T1X.
Thank you. I was looking at a manners stock down the line.

bsnedeker

WKR

The comb is incredibly low and requires an aftermarket comb in order for me to get a good cheek weld and still be able to look through my optic. That seems to be the most common complaint from what I've seen.

Superdoo

WKR
I used 1/8" thick EPDM adhesive back craft sheets to build up my "custom" cheek rest. Used a knife to shave it down so I could lock in my cheek weld. Then I wrapped it all in sports wrap. I think it cost me $10, maybe less.

I love my tupperware stock. Lightweight and cheap. Kinda like me!

Vandy321

WKR
My only tikka is getting a new stock. Mainly for weight (dropping 9oz) but LOP is pretty short on the factory stock, 12.5" or so? Also, when I pulled the barreled action, there were 2 spots about halfway down the foreend that were making contact with the barrel..is the tikka not free floated from the factory? But enough reason for me to buy an aftermarket stock, a wildcat composites 21oz finished. While the Mesa advertizes its 24-25oz, in reality, according to a few threads on here, the finished stock is no lighter than the plastic factory stock at around 30oz. more rigid no doubt, but if going lighter is the goal, the mesa altitude is not going to do it.

Last edited:
I like a couple aftermarket stocks. I put Mesa precision Altitude on mine. I’ve head McMillan makes another great stock.
Bottom metal is another upgrade, as well as long action magazine. ExoMtnGear has a blog post called “Marks upgraded tikka” that has some great items. I also put carbon knob on and it is really nice.
Barrel (proof or hells canyon armory) or trigger (timney is often recommended)