Tikka T3x

bsnedeker

WKR
Anyone ever bedded a factory stock? I’ve heard Devcon won’t stick to it.
I bedded mine. Used devcon. It worked well. I didn't see an improvement in accuracy but I'm honestly not that great of a shot so maybe I just couldn't tell. It was sub moa before and it still is.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

For those that have Tikka's are you satisfied with the factory stock.
I didn’t like mine. Had a hard time getting good scope picture (needing a cheek rest). Replaced to lighter stock and less recoil. Happy I replaced the stock. I purchased the Tx3 hunter originally FYI

Antares

WKR

No, but I don't expect to be either. I have a 14.5" LOP and like a lot of comb, so I'm always planing on replacing stocks. Love the Tikka action though and factory barrels are very good.

gbflyer

WKR
I really like the design of the stock on the t3x lite. I didn’t like it at all standing in the store but with a set of Talley lows it comes up perfectly for me. Also have the vertical grip module. It isn’t the quality of many of the aftermarkets, that is without argument. But again I like the layout.

Mine is a .308. I’ve shot light .308’s that hurt. This one does not.

Rocket99

FNG
I really like the design of the stock on the t3x lite. I didn’t like it at all standing in the store but with a set of Talley lows it comes up perfectly for me. Also have the vertical grip module. It isn’t the quality of many of the aftermarkets, that is without argument. But again I like the layout.

Mine is a .308. I’ve shot light .308’s that hurt. This one does not.

I have a vertical grip arriving tomorrow for my Roughtech stock tomorrow. I can’t wait to try it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider

The tikka tupperware stock is totally usable. It's in a completely different class of cheap plastic stock than what I was used to handling with Savage rifles.

The comb is stupidly low.

My rifle predates the T3x. Since buying it, I've added a diy foam a vet wrap cheek riser, a limbsaver pad, and two inches of spacers to increase the LOP.

If I ever upgrade the stock it will be with an Allterra arms stock in hopes that the negative comb will help with recoil.

Was actually able to find a few of the models I was looking and after comparing the Tikka T3x and Christensen Arm Mesa I decided to go Tikka T3x in 7mm-08 the money I'll be saving i can put some good glass on it and put a limbsaver on it. Any other accessories I should be looking at?
Nope, stock Tikka is a formidable and dependable weapon. Especially in 7-08

Antares

WKR
The tikka tupperware stock is totally usable. It's in a completely different class of cheap plastic stock than what I was used to handling with Savage rifles.

The comb is stupidly low.

My rifle predates the T3x. Since buying it, I've added a diy foam a vet wrap cheek riser, a limbsaver pad, and two inches of spacers to increase the LOP.

If I ever upgrade the stock it will be with an Allterra arms stock in hopes that the negative comb will help with recoil.

Man, if you're putting that much extra material on your stock you are going to love a custom stock. Just watch out, once you go down the custom stock route, you'll never go back. So all the new rifles in your future just got $400-700 more expensive. Oh well, the fit is worth it.

Last edited:
It is simple:
1) Spend the money on the best optic that you can.
2) If recoil is too much, then do a Limbsaver and/or brake (if the increase in noise does not bother you).
3) If there's money left over, get handloads developed for it.
4) Take a few one-on-one training sessions.

Shoot the rifle and see how it shoots. Some folks do upgrades because they want to and not necessarily because they need to. If the rifle doesn't shoot, sell it and buy another. Rinse and repeat until you get one that shoots well. You won't be out all that much money. But you can spend all the money on a rifle and its "required" upgrades and still have one that does not shoot all that well (assuming a competent shooter). Good luck recouping your total cost, or near it, as only a fool will pay $1500+ for a Tikka.

I have not seen a trigger manufacturer provide a guarantee of X percent increase in accuracy. I have not seen a grip manufacturer provide a guarantee of X percent increase in accuracy. I have not seen a stock manufacturer provide a guarantee of X percent increase in accuracy. The only guarantee that you have with these upgrades is a lighter wallet.

I have two T3Xs (6.5 CM and 300 WM) and both shoot well under 0.5 MOA (bipod with rear rest just like I hunt). Both use handloads and have no aftermarket upgrades.

Many people would be better served taking some one-on-one shooting classes than doing these upgrades. This is applicable to myself. Nothing like having all your flaws captured on video and pointed out one by one. It is humbling but extremely enlightening.
It is simple:
1) Spend the money on the best optic that you can.
2) If recoil is too much, then do a Limbsaver and/or brake (if the increase in noise does not bother you).
3) If there's money left over, get handloads developed for it.
4) Take a few one-on-one training sessions.

Shoot the rifle and see how it shoots. Some folks do upgrades because they want to and not necessarily because they need to. If the rifle doesn't shoot, sell it and buy another. Rinse and repeat until you get one that shoots well. You won't be out all that much money. But you can spend all the money on a rifle and its "required" upgrades and still have one that does not shoot all that well (assuming a competent shooter). Good luck recouping your total cost, or near it, as only a fool will pay $1500+ for a Tikka.

I have not seen a trigger manufacturer provide a guarantee of X percent increase in accuracy. I have not seen a grip manufacturer provide a guarantee of X percent increase in accuracy. I have not seen a stock manufacturer provide a guarantee of X percent increase in accuracy. The only guarantee that you have with these upgrades is a lighter wallet.

I have two T3Xs (6.5 CM and 300 WM) and both shoot well under 0.5 MOA (bipod with rear rest just like I hunt). Both use handloads and have no aftermarket upgrades.

Many people would be better served taking some one-on-one shooting classes than doing these upgrades. This is applicable to myself. Nothing like having all your flaws captured on video and pointed out one by one. It is humbling but extremely enlightening.
Sound advice about taking a few one-on-one training sessions. Do you know anyone qualified around southern AZ?

Last edited:

bretm

FNG
I don't have a T3x, but I have 2 T3 lites, one in 7mm rem mag and one in .223. There was nothing wrong with the plastic stocks, but I didn't like them, I didn't like how they felt. I put a Bell and Carlson Medalist on one and love it. I also have a McMillan for the other rifle but haven't installed it yet.

Redleg84

FNG
The stock isn't too bad. The vertical grip would probably be the first thing I get. The trigger isn't too bad adjusted down, but with the spring it's hard to beat

EMAZ

Lil-Rokslider
My advice would be to see how it shoots "as is" once you and your rifle settle on a round. Then it'd be up to you to determine if spending $600-$1500+ (depending on preference) for a new stock is worth it.
^this...tikka makes a lightweight rifle with minimal frills that shoots very well out of the box. The t3x actually improved many of the minor complaints associated with the original t3 (metal bolt shroud, better recoil lug, slightly enhanced stock). I’ve owned several of both, and they are hard to beat for the price/action feel. When you start looking to change out stocks, might do better selling yours and upgrading to a Sako or Fierce if you want more bells/whistles

JMalmy

FNG
Wondering too!! Love my rifle and it doesn’t bother me, but I’m always looking for someone else’s opinion who’s done the leg work lol

Dhbwa

WKR
Unless you want the trigger pull under 2.25lbs you don’t need a spring. I keep all my rifles at 2lbs to 2.5lbs and the 8 or 10 T3’s I have owned all did fine out of the box…..
I like a larger knob so that is about the only thing I buy anymore although I have spent a fortune on AM stocks. Each and every one had something I didn’t like so I am about ready to go back to OEM on them all….

To each his own. The Tikka bolt strikes me as a bolt handle for carnies...small hands, smell like cabbage. Maybe thats a thing in Europe?

Yes, the tikka bolt is smooth either way though. The longer handle in not needed, but does make it feel more like a big boy rifle

Also, on the trigger spring. Buy made in the USA, buy Mtn Tactical's spring. I ordered from yodave, (not knowing he was in Canada)...paid $9 to ship a $10 spring and when I tried to cancel or return the order because it will easily take a month to clear customs and be delivered, he's not responding to emails and doesn't list a phone on his website. Lesson learned.
If you think the bolt on a Tikka is small, just play a mandolin for about an hour. Then everything you touch will seem huge for the next three hours. This includes your tool. 😁