Tikka - to bottom metal or not to bottom metal? That is my question.

After a few seasons with my tikka (6.5 Creedmore, stainless lite) and promising I wouldn’t spend a bunch of money turning my budget friendly hunting rifle into a big ticket gun, I am finally breaking down and buying a new stock. I have a Mesa on order (4-6 weeks) and planned to put an YO Dave trigger spring in it while I have it apart. I am on the fence about replacing the bottom metal while I am at it.

I want to stay with factory mags and I am not crazy about the idea of having the mag well fitted into the stock. If the Mesa bolts up and it shoots as well or better than it does now, I don’t plan to bed the action.

mountain tactical would seem to be my top pick, though a few note problems With weak retention and flex creating magazine fit issues in the mag well.

so tell, pros and cons of replacing my bottom metal. What say ye?

mapticon

FNG
Yeah, really curious about this as well. Scratching my head about replacing stock, trigger, bottom metal. I haven't done a thing to mine except add a brake. It shoots 1moa with Hornady ELD-X all day long, and .5 when i'm doing everything right. If any of these upgrades would make a noticable difference, think I could be persuaded but just don't see the value.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I keep telling myself I should buy one but then I realize I’m adding weight and throwing away money for something unnecessary.

Ronb

WKR
Curious why? Seems to improve durability and accuracy. I just purchased the high desert bottom plate for a new tikka superlite .270. I’ve also purchased some stainless action screws. I hated how easily they rusted on my blued tikka. Other than a limb saver, those are the only changes I plan to make. Most other upgrades are user preferences. Imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

83cj-7

WKR
I am positive that installing my MT bottom metal made my Tikka rifles shoot better groups. I really can’t explain why. My rifles are glassed into AG Privateer stocks, but the trigger guard made a difference. YMMV

Ronb

WKR
That seems to be the consensus.
On my previous tikka i would get occasional flyers. I hope this eliminates those.

Last edited:

Sagewind

FNG
I added the High Desert trigger guard/ bottom metal to my SL. It feels better, weighs more, and was probably unnecessary. It functions perfectly and I like it better than the factory unit. It was worth the $, to me. I wanted to retain the factory magazines.

colersu22

WKR
I went with the mountain tactical a few years ago and haven’t had a problem with it. I got it when I had my barrel and action cerakoted and was going to have the bottom metal done but never took it in.

amassi

WKR
I have bottom metals on all mine, 1 omr, 1mtn tac 1 west desert. Didn't change a darn thing other than being able to torque your action screws a bit more

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Vandy321

WKR
I had a shit time with mags dropping from my T3X plastic BDL...I filed them down and they are flawless now. I toyed with the MT stuff, but I was counting ounces. I'll go that route though if and when this plastic fails which it inevitably will down the road.

Ronb

WKR
I wish i had done a poll! To do or not to do???Seems most people think it helped accuracy. Chime in if it improved accuracy or did nothing.

OP
Desk Jockey
The mountain tactical is on back order. That may be my answer there. I am not sure I care to hold up my build for them, but I guess I don’t know when the mesa stock will show. They quote 4-6 weeks.