Tikka - tough/tight bolt closure? normal?

2-Stix

WKR
Hi Folks,
I recently built up 2 rifles as I was tired of the lack of fit and finish in my current rifle and wanted a second caliber.

I built a Tikka T3X Wideland 7mm rem mag. It is very smooth on the action, and when loaded to cycle it is amazingly easy. Time to time it won't pick up a shell when cycling, probably because I have not ran the bolt back hard enough. I have not hit the range yet.

Tonight I built up a Tikka T3X Lite Stainless in .308. Another very smooth on the action rifle, but when I load this rifle and cycle it is really tight and a lot more force is needed to close the bolt and open it when cycling. I have not hit the range yet...

...have other members here had bolts that cycle with extra needed force on a Tikka? Is it from the short action 308? Will it break in? Do I need a light gun smithing?

The rifle I replaced has had a full replacement already and the current one its a bit rough for me...hoping this will break in or I am missing something.

Thanks,
Josh

Couple things come to mind. I’m not overly familiar with a tikka, but this would be true for nearly all bolt actions. Does the bolt close fine without any ammo? If it’s only on the ammo your headspace could be tight. Hand loads or factory ammo? If it’s always tight regardless of loaded or not you might lap the lugs. With the gun not picking up a shell when you run the bolt, are you sure you’re not short stroking it. I’ve noticed even with myself, once an empty is ejected I’ll start back the other way, but I never got the bolt far enough back to pick up another round. Could also be a follower issue.

OP
2-Stix

2-Stix

WKR
Couple things come to mind. I’m not overly familiar with a tikka, but this would be true for nearly all bolt actions. Does the bolt close fine without any ammo? If it’s only on the ammo your headspace could be tight. Hand loads or factory ammo? If it’s always tight regardless of loaded or not you might lap the lugs. With the gun not picking up a shell when you run the bolt, are you sure you’re not short stroking it. I’ve noticed even with myself, once an empty is ejected I’ll start back the other way, but I never got the bolt far enough back to pick up another round. Could also be a follower issue.
The 308 is very smooth until I run live rounds through it. I ran an empty shell and if I remember right it was fine. I was thinking its the head space as well. Time to time a live round would cycle ok. I continued to use the same 6 rounds as I was working 2 different mags. I tried 2 ammos and it was the same outcome. All factory loads. I was going to make sure the scope base screws are not in the way, take the firing pin apart and re torque the action screws.

For the 7rm I think it will be a little fussy if I short stroke it a tad.

Both rifles need to be shot still.

Thanks for your reply.

OP
2-Stix

2-Stix

WKR
What does “built up” mean? Are you dropping it in a different stock or screwing a new barrel on? If new barrel what are your go/no go guages telling you? Prefit manufacturer? As stated above are these handloads or factory?
I ordered all the items off Mountain Tactical; limbsaver, bedding block, action screws, bolt shroud, adjusted the trigger, bought a few mags, put on Talley Lightweight rings, installed metal bottom metal & bolt release.

Factory ammo.

Lawnboi

WKR
Only tight with ammo? Probably the ammo. Is it a factory barrel? Headspace may be tight, bullet could be engaging rifling. Not all factory ammo is perfect either.

Also check your ejector on the bolt head, tikka puts a pretty stiff spring in there which makes extraction awesome, but requires a bit of authority to get the round snapped over the rim

Only tight with ammo? Probably the ammo. Is it a factory barrel? Headspace may be tight, bullet could be engaging rifling. Not all factory ammo is perfect either.

Also check your ejector on the bolt head, tikka puts a pretty stiff spring in there which makes extraction awesome, but requires a bit of authority to get the round snapped over the rim
This makes sense to me. Just don't give it TOO much authority. Might end up with a bolt on the ground. 😉

Agree with the stiff ejector mentioned above.
Doesn’t sound like anything you changed should cause a tight fit in the chamber. Unlikely but it could be an issue from the factory if you want to check:
-Use a sharpie and color up your case of a loaded round from the shoulder to just above the ogive of the bullet and check for rub spots. If it’s on the bullet you’ve got a barrel with a short throat if on the shoulder you may have a tight chamber.
-If you wanted you could get a set of headspace guages to check your chamber.

slowelk

WKR
I ordered all the items off Mountain Tactical; limbsaver, bedding block, action screws, bolt shroud, adjusted the trigger, bought a few mags, put on Talley Lightweight rings, installed metal bottom metal & bolt release.

Factory ammo.

I had an issue with the mountain tactical bolt shroud causing hard bolt manipulation and sent it back. I've not bothered with aftermarket shrouds since. Put the factory shroud back on and I'll be surprised if you still have issues.

OP
2-Stix

2-Stix

WKR

I ran home at lunch and dug out a 3rd box of ammo. It cycled better.

I think it is the ammo. I assume manufacturing increases and quality tends to dip with new hires. With 2 brand new unfired Tikkas the 308 is pretty tight and the 7rm is really light.

Josh.

OP
2-Stix

2-Stix

WKR
I had an issue with the mountain tactical bolt shroud causing hard bolt manipulation and sent it back. I've not bothered with aftermarket shrouds since. Put the factory shroud back on and I'll be surprised if you still have issues.
I ran home and changed it back to factory and cycled ammo. It was the same. I was hoping you were right! I think its the ammo at this point. Maybe a bit of break in will help also.

OP
2-Stix

2-Stix

WKR
I am going to let my local gunsmith take a look on Monday. Let him do what he thinks, and then hope to hit the range Wednesday to site it in. He thinks is the head space and can lap the lugs a few thousands and it should be good. I have a blacktail hunt Oct 23-30 with family in Oregon so I am running tight on time.

Shooter71

Lil-Rokslider
Do not “lap” the thing into headspace spec. If it’s a factory tikka action and barrel it is in spec. There is something else wrong, mechanical or ammo. Is the lug seated? If not the action is being bent when you tighten the screws.

Shooter71

Lil-Rokslider
For anyone else reading, when you lap the bolt, abutments in the traditional manner you grind an angle into them. The leading edges travel the farthest, trailing edges very little. Lotta damage has to be done to affect headspace.

Do not “lap” the thing into headspace spec. If it’s a factory tikka action and barrel it is in spec. There is something else wrong, mechanical or ammo. Is the lug seated? If not the action is being bent when you tighten the screws.
I agree with not lapping it into the correct headspace. When I mentioned it above, I had a different theory. But everything at the present moment is showing the ammo is possibly out of spec, or at least on the long side.

OP
2-Stix

2-Stix

WKR
I agree with not lapping it into the correct headspace. When I mentioned it above, I had a different theory. But everything at the present moment is showing the ammo is possibly out of spec, or at least on the long side.
I ran an empty case through and its not tight when I close the bolt, feels right.

I have now ran 5 live rounds of different manufactures and grains and one spent case. The live rounds very on how hard they are to close from; more force needed to very hard to close.

OP
2-Stix

2-Stix

WKR
Do you have a way to measure the ammo
The Winchester Razon Boar 150 gr was 2.736 - fit great, really the only one that fit.

The Federal Premium Barns TSX 150 gr was 2.792" - pretty sung

The Nosler Expansion Tip 168 gr was 2.719" - very tight

The 7mm RM could be operated by a 5 year old. It was smooth and easy with 2 different ammo.

Last edited:

bsnedeker

WKR
I ran an empty case through and its not tight when I close the bolt, feels right.

I have now ran 5 live rounds of different manufactures and grains and one spent case. The live rounds very on how hard they are to close from; more force needed to very hard to close.
That pretty clearly indicates an issue with the ammo....CBTO too long so making contact with lands. Doesn't make much sense based on what you've changed and the ammo you are trying.

I'd be dropping it at a gun Smith as well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk