Tikka upgrades?

jt4

WKR
I see a lot about changing out some plastic parts on a tikka t3x. What do you actually gain by changing out parts. I get that having plastic pieces isn’t ideal but is there more to it? I’m looking at mountain tactical upgrades including bottom metal, bolt shroud, and stainless recoil lug.

What else should I be looking into?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of it is purely cosmetics and folks just wanting to make their rifle their own. I can see some functional advantage to having actual metal for the bottom metal.

Tmac

WKR
The T3x has a metal bolt shroud and a harder recoil lug if I remember correctly. On my T3’s the recoil lug has created issues after a number of years, so I fixed that. No problems with the bolt shroud to date. If a T3x shoots well now, I leave the recoil lug alone, but I would check it every 100 rounds or so. The T3’s would get a very noticeable imprint. Hopefully the T3x fixed that. But if you are concerned about the recoil lug, the Mt. Tac. One is good.

I like the vertical grip on the Tikkas I have with the factory stock. Better feel and more natural for me.

K-Hill

FNG
Depending on the caliber and if you reload the MT. Tac. billet mags are a huge upgrade .

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
I see a lot about changing out some plastic parts on a tikka t3x. What do you actually gain by changing out parts. I get that having plastic pieces isn’t ideal but is there more to it? I’m looking at mountain tactical upgrades including bottom metal, bolt shroud, and stainless recoil lug.

The Mountain Tactical bolt shroud and recoil lug are upgrades for the T3, which came with a plastic bolt shroud and aluminum recoil lug. Your T3X has a metal shroud and steel recoil lug, so no need to change anything there.

There’s nothing wrong at all with the plastic bottom “metal”, it’s light weight and it gets the job done. The MT bottom metal for OEM mags is just for those that want metal. The MT bottom metal for AICS magazines does serve a purpose, but it’s primarily for reloaders who wants to use hand loads made longer than SAAMI specifications that won’t fit in the Tikka mags. Factory ammo fits just fine the Tikka mags and there’s no need to upgrade for factory ammo.

OP
jt4

jt4

WKR
It seems like the general consensus so far is if I’m shooting factory ammo out of a t3x 30-06 that I wouldn’t be making any upgrades that will make a difference and it would all be cosmetic or personalizations.

I think the vertical grip made me shoot a lot better groups. I also really like my glades armory bolt handles.

sdupontjr

WKR
Trigger spring from Elay Precision. At only about $10, makes a good factory trigger very nice.

Block

WKR
I just put a Timney trigger and GRS Bifrost stock on my 270 T3 and LOVVVE it,,,

Attachments

• B98DBB63-AEAD-4B29-93AC-27626FB96D40.jpeg
    B98DBB63-AEAD-4B29-93AC-27626FB96D40.jpeg
    431.3 KB · Views: 143
  • 8D137D5C-9F65-4053-BCE5-98AF4E9F1D9C.jpeg
    8D137D5C-9F65-4053-BCE5-98AF4E9F1D9C.jpeg
    221.3 KB · Views: 135

I have done various upgrades to my tikkas mostly for cosmetics. I do believe upgrading the bottom metal can help with accuracy. Playing with the torque on the action bolts seems to help accuracy

16Bore

WKR
A lot of it is putting on rims. I like the pimp shrouds...

F688D46A-0ABC-41FC-83F4-BDD64AC522D1.jpeg

I’m tinkering with a Frankentikka at the moment. 1:8 223 SL in a CTR stock, chubby forearm, 20 MOA 419 rail, SWFA Lows, 10x MQ. Atlasworx BM en route and bolt handle. Fed by MDT poly 10 rounders for obvious reasons.

9426243B-3215-4A64-83E3-69DB2E6A2612.jpeg

Hopefully the shit works or there will be a bunch of parts for sale. CTR stuff just for looks while I wait.

9527BC06-7BAB-4DC3-9841-013E086DFFCF.jpeg

Lawnboi

WKR
Do the billet mags allow for a longer COAL than the factory mags on a short action?

As aboveyou can run long action mags if needed. But thier short action mags take up to 3” I believe. Also thier 223 mags take up to 2.6. The new billlet mags are very nice,Iv got a case through a 223 mag now without a hickup, very smooth. I liked it enough I bought 2 SA mags and 3 223 mags when they were available and on sale.

Lawnboi

WKR
The
A lot of it is putting on rims. I like the pimp shrouds...

View attachment 168052

I’m tinkering with a Frankentikka at the moment. 1:8 223 SL in a CTR stock, chubby forearm, 20 MOA 419 rail, SWFA Lows, 10x MQ. Atlasworx BM en route and bolt handle. Fed by MDT poly 10 rounders for obvious reasons.

View attachment 168053

Hopefully the shit works or there will be a bunch of parts for sale. CTR stuff just for looks while I wait.

View attachment 168054

MT billet mags might do you well in a standard plastic mag bottom metal. 2.6” of space.

Unless you like dealing with AICS mags. Which brings me to another thought, why the heck can’t a company create a aics style 223 mag with a decent length

16Bore

WKR
That bottom mag is AICS, top is the Tikka shit show. 2.435” 75 Amax.

I’d rather change the bottom metal and have more options than rely on the MT mag.

We’ll see, it’s a work in progress. The MT might be suitable if shaving ounces. Been thinking AICS flush 3 rounder on my ‘06 if the Frankentikka pans out. Last thing T3’s need is weight in the ass.

Block

WKR
How heavy is that stock?? Looks extremely functional

It’s just under 3 lbs,, about a pound heavier than the factory Tikka synthetic stocks. Settled the recoil down nicely on my .270