Tikka Veil vs X-bolt vs CA Ridgeline

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
Hi there all I’m trying to track down a decent sub$1500ish, sub 7lb rifle, 7mag or possibly 280ai. Bullets will mostly be factory ammo for now 150-168gr or 500yds and in. Also interested in having the option to suppress in the future.

So I’ve narrowed it to
Christensen Ridgeline
X bolt western hunter or speed suppressor ready
Tikka Veil or D18

Sounds like Christensen weight varies pretty drastically depending on the particular stock you get and tikka veil advertised weights are all over the board. Can anyone compare these rifles and have any real world weights on them?

dan25

Lil-Rokslider
with nightforce 5.5x22x50 nxs and dnz 215 mount... 9lbs even

Hi there all I’m trying to track down a decent sub$1500ish, sub 7lb rifle, 7mag or possibly 280ai. Bullets will mostly be factory ammo for now 150-168gr or 500yds and in. Also interested in having the option to suppress in the future.

So I’ve narrowed it to
Christensen Ridgeline
X bolt western hunter or speed suppressor ready
Tikka Veil or D18

Sounds like Christensen weight varies pretty drastically depending on the particular stock you get and tikka veil advertised weights are all over the board. Can anyone compare these rifles and have any real world weights on them?
I like your plan and here's my personal take.
I've owned and built a lot of rifles including the Ridgeline, and Tikkas are by far the best built and most consistently accurate rifle in the sub $2000 price range.

However I wouldn't buy any of the fancy painted stuff with fluting etc. The Tikka action is an amazing and precise piece of work but the plastic stock will always be what it is.

My advice is buy a T3X 7 RM for $860, Put the extra money into a good CF stock like a McMillan Hunters edge ($600 ish).
When you decide to go suppressed have the barrel cut to 20" and that should get you 9/16×24 threads that'll work with most suppressors.
The factory federal 168 Berger ammo is rated at 2870 from a 24" barrel, you'd easily be around 2750 which will get you to about 880 yards maintaining the 1800 fps minimum expansion velocity for that bullet, at 2870 you'd make it another whopping 100 yards.

Here's an in stock link, they weigh 6.2lbs as advertised
https://www.eurooptic.com/JRTXB370-Tikka-Tikka-T3x-Lite-7MM-Rem-Mag-S-S-SYN-224--barre.aspx

Last edited:
OP
R

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
I realize it’s a fair bit more expensive but if a guy wanted a turn key rifle with all the extra features what’s wrong with the veil or d18 models?

I realize it’s a fair bit more expensive but if a guy wanted a turn key rifle with all the extra features what’s wrong with the veil or d18 models?
It's not turn key It's expensive window dressing.
The cheap plastic stock is the weak point and all they did is paint it, and add a crappy radial brake.

My point is your money is much better spent getting it done right yourself

I like your plan and here's my personal take.
I've owned and built a lot of rifles including the Ridgeline, and Tikkas are by far the best built and most consistently accurate rifle in the sub $2000 price range.

However I wouldn't buy any of the fancy painted stuff with fluting etc. The Tikka action is an amazing and precise piece of work but the plastic stock will always be what it is.

My advice is buy a T3X 7 RM for $860, Put the extra money into a good CF stock like a McMillan Hunters edge ($600 ish).
When you decide to go suppressed have the barrel cut to 20" and that should get you 9/16×24 threads that'll work with most suppressors.
The factory federal 168 Berger ammo is rated at 2870 from a 24" barrel, you'd easily be around 2750 which will get you to about 880 yards maintaining the 1800 fps minimum expansion velocity for that bullet, at 2870 you'd make it another whopping 100 yards.

Here's an in stock link, they weigh 6.2lbs as advertised
https://www.eurooptic.com/JRTXB370-Tikka-Tikka-T3x-Lite-7MM-Rem-Mag-S-S-SYN-224--barre.aspx
I have the T3X with federal 168 bergers. Love my tikka. The action is the smoothest I've ever had

I suggest a tikka T3X for the price point and quality. Best action I have ever used. I own it in the 7mm RM. Put good glass on it and your set

jaredg

Lil-Rokslider
I have all of the rifles the OP asked about. Tikka, then Browning, CA last. Tikka & browning will both shoot, Tikka has the better trigger. I'm an anomaly here, I don't mind the Tikka stocks. My vote is for the Veil.

I feel CA quality control missing, but I do like my CA Ridgeline 22-250. But all of my Tikka's shoot well with most ammo right off of the rack. I have had a few Browning X-Bolts that needed a little load development to dial in.

Can't go wrong with either Hell's Canyon or Veil

OP
R

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
I have a D18 in 6.5cm. My only complaint is that I would like the barrel to be shorter especially when I start using my suppressor with it
Any chance you have a weight on that 6.5creed? Apples to oranges from a 7mag but just for an idea I guess. I’m planning to head to a city with sportsman warehouse, scheels, and cabelas this weekend to get hands on with as much as I can. Especially before the Christensen rebate is over.

OP
R

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
I have all of the rifles the OP asked about. Tikka, then Browning, CA last. Tikka & browning will both shoot, Tikka has the better trigger. I'm an anomaly here, I don't mind the Tikka stocks. My vote is for the Veil.

I feel CA quality control missing, but I do like my CA Ridgeline 22-250. But all of my Tikka's shoot well with most ammo right off of the rack. I have had a few Browning X-Bolts that needed a little load development to dial in.

Can't go wrong with either Hell's Canyon or Veil
Is yours one of the veil styles or a standard lite if you don’t mind me asking?

TXMoonMan

FNG
I’m in the same boat looking at a Tikka T3X Lite Veil wideland and the Browning X-bolt suppressor ready hells canyon. Which one did you end up going with and why one over the others?

OP
R

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
Well I actually went completely off reservation and picked up a Colt Light Rifle that's going to get the Melvin treatment. In the end the veil was way heavier in person than I expected and I had a tikka 243 years ago that I wasn't wildly impressed with. The x bolts were unobtanium at the time plus wasn't sold on trigger upgrade options. Sorry for not being much help and good luck on your decision.