Tikka vs Browning vs Savage for a sheep rifle

I am looking at a new mountain rifle, specifically for a Dall sheep hunt I am going to book this year and need some opinions from everyone here. I currently shoot Tikka's in 300 wm and 7-08. I may end up just taking the 7-08 with a Leupold 4.5-14 on it that weighs 7.5 pounds. I am also tempted to but a new gun in 6.5 prc. I have been looking at the Tikka Veil wideland, the Savage Ultralite with the proof carbon barrel and the Browning Hells Canyon Speed. Thinking as lightweight as possible. The Savage wins there but I dont have a ton of experience with them. I have had a Browning in the past that I liked just didnt really need at the time so it went down the road.

Anyone with experience with all 3 or mainly just the Browning and Savage? Right now I am leaning more towards the Savage and putting a Swarovski 3-10 with the BRH reticle on there and calling it a day. I think that would make a heck of a mountain rifle. Should I just stick with the 7-08? Thanks for any advice!!

I have had all 3 of those guns. I currently still have the Ultralite. I would probably lean towards the savage. I absolutely loved my hell’s canyon, best shooting rifle I’ve ever owned, but the stock just didn’t fit me right.

The Ultralite is about a pound lighter than the others, and has a carbon barrel which I love. (It cools down 3x or more faster than a steel barrel). The action is not as smooth the tikka obviously, but it’s not bad. Accuracy is good. (Especially in the PRC from what I’ve heard). Mine is a 30-06. And the stock also handles recoil very well. And finally the trigger. Straight from the factory the trigger is around 2.5 lbs, and really crisp.
Now the Tikka (T3X Lite), my experience with it was just fine. Accuracy was fine, but that thing beat me up. 10 shots with my 30-06 and my shoulder hurt. (I’ve shot 3 boxes multiple times out of my ultra lite with no issues at all). But if you keep the brake that comes with the Wideland, that won’t be an issue. (I don’t like brakes personally). The action is obviously great.

I think the HC is probably the best gun of the group, with the savage being a close second and the Tikka 3rd but still very close. For a sheep rifle the savage being a pound lighter could be a big deal. If weight is a concern, go savage. If not, go with the HC (If the stock fits you well)

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Anyone with experience with all 3 or mainly just the Browning and Savage?

Have used those three extensively. You say weight is primary, yet you are choosing three rifles that are relatively heavy?

The Savage is about the last current factory rifle I would take on a sheep hunt. The action is sub par- extraction, ejection, feeding, and bolt bind; the trigger is ok feeling but suffers when debris gets into it- snow, ice, sand, etc.

The Browning is better than the savage in all regards, however the trigger is a weak point with debris as well.

The Tikka is by far the choice of the three, though not the Veil Wildland (weight). Objectively it has the best action and trigger in regards to reliability and feel, and as good of a barrel as any. If weight matters, a T3x Lite is a much better choice.

Swarovski 3-10 with the BRH reticle on there and calling it a day. I think that would make a heck of a mountain rifle. Should I just stick with the 7-08? Thanks for any advice!!

No offense but that Swarovski isn’t exactly a reliable and durable scope either. You’d be miles ahead to take your Tikka 7mm-08, put a legit scope and rings in it and a case of ammo to practice with.

OP
ReddingArcher
Have used those three extensively. You say weight is primary, yet you are choosing three rifles that are relatively heavy?

The Savage is about the last current factory rifle I would take on a sheep hunt. The action is sub par- extraction, ejection, feeding, and bolt bind; the trigger is ok feeling but suffers when debris gets into it- snow, ice, sand, etc.

The Browning is better than the savage in all regards, however the trigger is a weak point with debris as well.

The Tikka is by far the choice of the three, though not the Veil Wildland (weight). Objectively it has the best action and trigger in regards to reliability and feel, and as good of a barrel as any. If weight matters, a T3x Lite is a much better choice.

No offense but that Swarovski isn’t exactly a reliable and durable scope either. You’d be miles ahead to take your Tikka 7mm-08, put a legit scope and rings in it and a case of ammo to practice with.
I’m glad you replied Form, I read your stuff whenever I see it posted. The Tikka is the heaviest of the three but I was looking at them just because of my experience with the other two I have. Nothing but good things to say about them. For a relatively lightweight scope what should I be looking at? I’ve looked at the SWFA a little bit but they seem to be on the heavy side, although I haven’t looked at all the options. Which other factory rifles should I take a look at? Thanks

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I’m glad you replied Form, I read your stuff whenever I see it posted. The Tikka is the heaviest of the three but I was looking at them just because of my experience with the other two I have. Nothing but good things to say about them. For a relatively lightweight scope what should I be looking at? I’ve looked at the SWFA a little bit but they seem to be on the heavy side, although I haven’t looked at all the options. Which other factory rifles should I take a look at? Thanks

All the scopes that actually hold zero and are reliable will weight 19oz or more. A T3 with a SWFA 3-9x42mm in Sportsmatch rings is about the most bombproof light setup you can get.

rootacres

WKR
I would go with the rifle you feel the most accurate/comfortable with. Also something to consider, lighter rifles tend to be more challenging to shoot well at distance especially when you bump the recoil up. Thats not to say a sub 7.5lb 6.5 PRC won't shoot well. I personally think around 8.5lbs is a good spot for a mild magnum like the 6.5 PRC.

I personally chose to build a 7mm SAUM. With 4 rounds, bipod adapter, scope cover, check riser etc its balanced great and comes in at 9.0 lbs. . 600 yds feels like 300 behind this thing. Feeling confident with an accurate rifle is more important than chasing slight ballistic superiority or shaving a half pound off in my opinion.

madcalfe

WKR
why dont you just use one of your tikkas?
buy a new stock and throw a brake on the 300wm and call it good.
my sheep rifle is 8lbs 4oz ready to hunt

OP
ReddingArcher
why dont you just use one of your tikkas?
buy a new stock and throw a brake on the 300wm and call it good.
my sheep rifle is 8lbs 4oz ready to hunt
I may use one of them, I have a really good relationship with the 300. If I did use the 300 I'd likely put a different scope on that as well. It currently has a Nightforce on it and I think is just a little big and I'd like to carry a lighter weight rifle. I may pick up a new Superlite in 6.5 creedmoor. Or just use what I have. White girl problems lol.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I may pick up a new Superlite in 6.5 creedmoor. Or just use what I have. White girl problems lol.

If it’s a pure sheep rifle (well anything rifle), a 22 Creedmoor with 77’s of 88gr ELD-Ms can not be beat. A 22-250 T3 Lite with 1-8” twist sent to Shaen to be rechambered to 22CM, with good scope and rings would rock for sheep.

OP
ReddingArcher
If it’s a pure sheep rifle (well anything rifle), a 22 Creedmoor with 77’s of 88gr ELD-Ms can not be beat. A 22-250 T3 Lite with 1-8” twist sent to Shaen to be rechambered to 22CM, with good scope and rings would rock for sheep.
That sounds like it would be sweet!!

madcalfe

WKR
I may use one of them, I have a really good relationship with the 300. If I did use the 300 I'd likely put a different scope on that as well. It currently has a Nightforce on it and I think is just a little big and I'd like to carry a lighter weight rifle. I may pick up a new Superlite in 6.5 creedmoor. Or just use what I have. White girl problems lol.
spend some moulah on the tikka and call it good. and as far as scopes, use what your confident with.
my custom is 5lbs 2oz bare. I'm running a kahles on it which is a 33oz scope but don't have a single worry about it not dialing or holding zero.

plus id rather have a little more fire power than a creedmoor up in sheep country.

That sounds like it would be sweet!!
Please for the love of Jesus don't take that advice about 88 ELDMS on big game!
I've seen them completely grenade on several coyote shoulders at 200-250 yards from my 22-250, both yotes were alive with massive surface wounds when I went to÷ retrieve them. I sold the rest after the second consecutive blowup.

I like your idea of a tikka 6.5 prc, my ultralight is a 16" 6.5 saum built on a Tikka action with an 18 oz stock from MPI.
I'm sending 144 bergers at 2950
An ultralight 6 creed would be pretty cool as well

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Please for the love of Jesus don't take that advice about 88 ELDMS on big game!
I've seen them completely grenade on several coyote shoulders at 200-250 yards from my 22-250, both yotes were alive with massive surface wounds when I went to÷ retrieve them. I sold the rest after the second consecutive blowup.

I’ve seen what they do on a large number of big game animals- including sheep.

I do not have a Browning but I do have a couple of Tikka T3Xs stainless (6.5 CM and 300 WM) and a Savage Ultralight (6.5 PRC). My Ultralight did come in "heavier" that what was published by a few ounces. Not much real weight difference between the three. All three are shooters.

I took my T3X in 300 WM on my Dall sheep and grizzly hunt. Worked flawlessly. This is the rifle that I am taking to Kodiak in a week for mountain goat. It has a VX6HD (3-18) and is 8 pounds loaded.

You may want to also consider the Savage 110 Storm Lightweight. I have its predecessor in 308 Win and it shoots well and is an absolute pleasure to carry. This is on my "short list" in 7mm-08 (or Tikka T3x in the same) for my next rifle.

For a scope, look at the Zeiss V4, Vortex LHT, or pony up the cash and get a Nightforce.

I own a couple Savages, an X-Bolt, and a T3X lite that form and others convinced me I should own one. It's all true and I completely understand all the fanboy talk on Tikkas. I'm no pro but have been shooting since the 80s and have a few dozen guns. I'd look hard at the Tikka.

I have had all 3 of those guns. I currently still have the Ultralite. I would probably lean towards the savage. I absolutely loved my hell’s canyon, best shooting rifle I’ve ever owned, but the stock just didn’t fit me right.

The Ultralite is about a pound lighter than the others, and has a carbon barrel which I love. (It cools down 3x or more faster than a steel barrel). The action is not as smooth the tikka obviously, but it’s not bad. Accuracy is good. (Especially in the PRC from what I’ve heard). Mine is a 30-06. And the stock also handles recoil very well. And finally the trigger. Straight from the factory the trigger is around 2.5 lbs, and really crisp.
Now the Tikka (T3X Lite), my experience with it was just fine. Accuracy was fine, but that thing beat me up. 10 shots with my 30-06 and my shoulder hurt. (I’ve shot 3 boxes multiple times out of my ultra lite with no issues at all). But if you keep the brake that comes with the Wideland, that won’t be an issue. (I don’t like brakes personally). The action is obviously great.

I think the HC is probably the best gun of the group, with the savage being a close second and the Tikka 3rd but still very close. For a sheep rifle the savage being a pound lighter could be a big deal. If weight is a concern, go savage. If not, go with the HC (If the stock fits you well)
I agree with all of this.

My Tikka 7mm-08 was very accurate but it was longer than I wanted and the felt recoil was significantly more than my Savage 7mm-08 due to that Tikka stock. The Savage stock fits me great and soaks up recoil as good or better than any I've shot. It's also plenty accurate.

I've never heard a report from anyone with an Ultralight (Savage) that wasn't happy with how it shot.

2-Stix

WKR
I sold all my savages after the Tikka cool aid hit my lips. Put a limbsaver on it and it sucks up the recoil. Lots of aftermarket goodies. I have a 308 lightweight stainless thats scoped at 7# and a 7mmRM Veil Wideland scoped at 8.5#. Shoot .5" with the 308 and .75 with the 7 with factory ammo. Filled my tag Saturday with the 308.

#publiclands

Lil-Rokslider
No mention of Kimbers…. Are they not in the same category as the other three light weight rifles? Seems it would be right up there with the Tikkas? Any recommendations?

Spoonman

WKR
I had the savage and it came in at 7oz over advertised weight. It shot ok and the action felt like a motor with no oil. I have a Xbolt pro now that shoots great and also has a pretty smooth action. Weight on the Xbolt is exactly as advertised.