Tikka vs Christensen

Tullis94

WKR
From my small sample size I would buy a Tikka. The only reason I would buy a christensen before a tikka is if you need the faster twist barrel.

Thanks for all of the input. Sounds like a Tikka is in my future.

What is the issue with the recoil pad? Just too thin/inaffective?

The stock recoil pad is just a hard rubber pad with rounded-off edges. A lot of folks (including me) just swap it out with a Limbsaver Airtech pad (it's not expensive; Walmart sells them for around $35). Shooting a magnum, I'd do it for sure.

I would say Tikka but in a 7mm you are going to be limited with the magazine length. Also I really wish Tikka would get with it and offer more fast twist barrels wtf?

mt100gr.

WKR
I would say Tikka but in a 7mm you are going to be limited with the magazine length. Also I really wish Tikka would get with it and offer more fast twist barrels wtf?
I was mildly concerned about magazine length with my Tikka 7mmRM but the load I settled on with 168gr Berger VLDH actually ends up liking a jump of .130!! The 168 classic hunters shot well at mag length but the VLDs got better and better the further from the lands I seated them. Twist is too slow to go much, if any, heavier so the 7mm isn't all that limited. And FWIW, those VLDs over H1000 leave at 2930fps with very good accuracy, ES and SD.

I was mildly concerned about magazine length with my Tikka 7mmRM but the load I settled on with 168gr Berger VLDH actually ends up liking a jump of .130!! The 168 classic hunters shot well at mag length but the VLDs got better and better the further from the lands I seated them. Twist is too slow to go much, if any, heavier so the 7mm isn't all that limited. And FWIW, those VLDs over H1000 leave at 2930fps with very good accuracy, ES and SD.
That’s a big jump for a VLD! I’m using the same exact bullets out of my semi custom Tikka in a 280AI. I wish I could get just a bit more length but my jump is about .017 ish. I’ve not been able to get out with the rifle and really shoot it as much as I’ve needed to but I’m getting some awesome velocities out of it 2960 roughly with RL-26 and a 26” Proof CF barrel. But with a 7mm I’d really prefer a longer and heavier bullet like the 175

Sadler

WKR
Go with a tikka. I’ve had two with no issues. The one and only Christensen I had was a lemon. Yeah, they fixed the rifle and we’re great to work with but I was still out a lot of time and ammo.

Gila

WKR
A lot of people here like Tikkas and quite a few own more than one...me included

Limb Saver feels good on the belted magnum....so does a stock pack. Tikka has in the last year increased the barrel twist rate on their belted magnums. Should do well with the 1:9.5” in 7mm pushing up to 175 gr. I would think.

z987k

WKR
Polymer gets stiffer and more bridal when cold. The stock stiffness change will have some impact barrel harmonics (likely not enough to matter for hunting) and is more likely to break / shatter than a carbon fiber stock in those temps. Obviously it was take a fall hitting something hard to do that, but that happens on ice.
So does metal. If you're changing it for steel, that would be an improvement in the brittleness department when cold, but Aluminum sure wouldn't. It's not just random plastic, it's a fiber reinforced polymer.
I'd say the downside is the flexibility of it, but that's also why it's not going to break in the cold.

And I must be missing something on the stiffness change and barrel harmonics. Why is your barrel touching the stock?

Lawnboi

WKR
While I don’t think the factory tikka stock is perfect, it’s serviceable and blows the stock that comes with the Mesa/ridge line out of the water

mt100gr.

WKR
^^This. I'm always surprised how many people think the Tikka stock is so poor. Compared to the noodle that comes on CA rifles, the Tikka stock is very good!!

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
Theres a LONG running thread on Long range hunting a tikka blew up due to a flaw in manufacturing and after 8/9 months they wont let the owner talk to a manager, they wont tell him anything or return his rifle. Bottom line they wont stand behind their product when it really matters. He should of had a new rifle 6/7 months ago.

CA rifles have a 3.7 inch magazine box in long action magnum calibers and a proper twist rate.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
There was a Tikka on the rack at my local gun retailer, and I vividly remember picking it up and thinking it felt and looked like a cheap piece of junk. You couldn't have given it to me. I have a Ruger American Ranch, and it's a tack driver, but it feels and looks cheap too. A rifle hitting where I aim is an inherent requirement, but it doesn't stop there for me. I like to have firearms that are also aesthetically pleasing and that feel right to me when I shoulder them, grip them, and pull the trigger. I was fortunate to grow up in a family business in the 1980s and 1990s where we were firearms dealers, so I handled, cleaned, and sold all makes and models you can think of. You can't help but form personal preferences when exposed to so many options.

Every Christensen I have owned has been a 1/4 moa rifle with my handloads. I personally love the Christensen stocks....they fit my palm and hand perfectly. I also love the triggers. I don't care for the triggers on any of the Sako made rifles....I hated the feel of the trigger on my Finnlight and gave it to a buddy.

There is a butt for every seat. I don't give a rip what other people spend their money on, and I also don't need them to like what I like, but I think much of the Christensen bad mouthing are people parroting what they heard or read, and not from actual experience.

JakeSCH

WKR
So does metal. If you're changing it for steel, that would be an improvement in the brittleness department when cold, but Aluminum sure wouldn't. It's not just random plastic, it's a fiber reinforced polymer.
I'd say the downside is the flexibility of it, but that's also why it's not going to break in the cold.

And I must be missing something on the stiffness change and barrel harmonics. Why is your barrel touching the stock?

Hmm I had always heard that the T3x used injection molded plastic, which typically are not fiber reinforced (aka carbon fiber). Out of all plastic stocks, I do think Tikka has the best ones. My comment on low temp was more general for all injection molded stocks in comparison to carbon fiber.

In regards to stiffness changes, it is more about the timing of barrel harmonics to how your body "receives" the recoil. Similar to when shooting off of bipod / rear shooting bag vs a shooting vice will give you different POI.

I can see Tikka has quite a bit of loyalty here, for good reason. It is a good rifle for a great price.

At the end of the day some shoot tikka, other will shoot CA, and when it matters I'll keep them both in my safe and take my custom's out. LOL

At @Oregonnewbie what scope(s) are you looking at? I would say if the difference between getting the scope you want vs a lower end scope is the difference between the rifles...you are better off with better glass. It will make more of a difference than between the rifles.

mt100gr.

WKR
Theres a LONG running thread on Long range hunting a tikka blew up due to a flaw in manufacturing and after 8/9 months they wont let the owner talk to a manager, they wont tell him anything or return his rifle. Bottom line they wont stand behind their product when it really matters. He should of had a new rifle 6/7 months ago.

CA rifles have a 3.7 inch magazine box in long action magnum calibers and a proper twist rate.
You have a link to that thread?

Mulyhuntr

WKR
A lot of people here like Tikkas and quite a few own more than one...me included

Limb Saver feels good on the belted magnum....so does a stock pack. Tikka has in the last year increased the barrel twist rate on their belted magnums. Should do well with the 1:9.5” in 7mm pushing up to 175 gr. I would think.
Twist has always been 9.5". It will not be optimized with high-bc 175s.

mt100gr.

WKR
It wasn’t hard to find. It was a t1x in 17hmr. I read through it. Sounds like an ammo problem that was not handled well by beretta. I wouldn’t put much merit in berettas customer service.

I’d still buy the tikka.
Thanks. I'd buy the Tikka also. Every time.