Tikka vs Sako rifles

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
One thing to keep in mind with the quest for ultralight is shootability with super light rifles. I’ve found lighter rifles are a bit harder to shoot accurately, especially as distance increases. A factory superlite is plenty light & about as low as I would want to go & be comfortable being consistent at distance.

Just curious if a brake would help? I just nabbed a t3x in 6.5 and am debating getting it threaded. Toss a brake or even a AAC brakeout so i cna run suppressed as well. Should help with recoil.

I've owned two Tikka T3's and two Sako A7's. To me the only appreciable difference was the feel of the stock on the A7...it kinda had that gummy exterior that was a little more grippy. Everything else was identical. I'd buy the Tikka and put the money saved downrange practicing.

Just curious if a brake would help? I just nabbed a t3x in 6.5 and am debating getting it threaded. Toss a brake or even a AAC brakeout so i cna run suppressed as well. Should help with recoil.
I'll be the average shooter could hold a Tikka 6.5 CM one handed and not be bothered by the recoil - My hating brakes is a "IMO" thing, I get that and there are cartridges and rifles that warrant that consideration but to brake a CM is, again IMO, just unnecessary - Of course there's always the "it's a free country" factor too …...

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be the average shooter could hold a Tikka 6.5 CM one handed and not be bothered by the recoil - My hating brakes is a "IMO" thing, I get that and there are cartridges and rifles that warrant that consideration but to brake a CM is, again IMO, just unnecessary - Of course there's always the "it's a free country" factor too …...

brakes are annoying if you are shooting with others. I havent got the chance to shoot mine yet, but do like shooting suppressed. Brakes are also annoying when im hunting because i dont mind letting a single round fly without earpro on a bolt gun, brakes change that!

Only rifle i really like the brake on is the 338LM, its very nice to shoot 50-60 rounds with the brake, without it can get uncomfortable after a while.

My t3x lite in 6.5 is very soft shooting including heavier 143 grain rounds. Nicer than my 308 tikka for sure. I wouldn’t tell you not to put a brake on it but you may not feel that you need one.

Mulyhuntr

WKR

Recoil won’t be the issue. I have a 6.5 superlite and it’s very easy on the shoulder and very easy to shoot accurately. A brake might be useful if you’re trying to spot impacts.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I also have a 6.5cm superlite and I cant imagine needing a brake for it. Besides, its already got a 24.3" barrel which I think is waaaaay too long, a brake would make it longer yet.

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
I also have a 6.5cm superlite and I cant imagine needing a brake for it. Besides, its already got a 24.3" barrel which I think is waaaaay too long, a brake would make it longer yet.

was talking more to the comment about the recoil on lighter guns. Only reason id brake a hunting rifle is to suppress. All my precision match rifles have brakes but i dont think the benefits outway the negatives in a small bore hunting rifle.

howl

WKR
All tikka actions are long actions, they just change out the bolt stop to make it a “short action” or a “long action”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, that's why the TIKKA is smoother in a short action. The bolt gets more support on the end of the travel. It doesn't waggle so much.

Yep, that's why the TIKKA is smoother in a short action. The bolt gets more support on the end of the travel. It doesn't waggle so much.
Anyone else notice this? My father has a Tikka in .308 and I was looking to pickup a second in .30-06 or .270, but maybe I'll pickup another .308 instead.

rickco

FNG
I can only comment on the SAKO 85 synthetic in a 30-06 which is the most accurate factory rifle I've ever owned. It weighs 7.11 fully loaded. The elk I have taken with it have gone down quickly.

SDHNTR

WKR
I’m gonna go against the grain here. I come from the school where rifles are something you are proud to own. Craftsmanship matters. While, I’ve handled and shot too many to count, I’ll not spend my hard earned money on a Tikka (or Savage, or Ruger American, or other cheapo out there), I’ll keep saving for the Sako. Which I do own, and treasure. Yes, they are both equally accurate, on average. I just value something you are proud to carry in your hands. Something that contains no plastic. Something with the proper bolt length. Something that shows care in the fit and finish. Just me. Sako all the way. And no I’m not made of money.

Bfork1

FNG
FOR THE RECORD, Tikka was a stand alone gunbuilder as was Sako, Beretta USA bought them both at different times, now Tikka and Sako barrels are made side by side by Tikka and most all of the Sako smiths are/were trained or "further instructed" by Tikka smiths - Tikka stocks were designed by an Italian shotgun maker with specific details, then recently Redesigned to the T3X model (some clever details), these "plastic" stocks are as good, or better, than any "plastic" stock in the industry and you'll not find any tutorials of them ever failing (just like the Tikka magazines) I shoot Tikkas a lot, LOVE the Finnlite EXCEPT for that weird way the magazine comes out, a nonstarter for me - "bang for your buck" ? You'll pay noticeably more for a Sako but the groups will seldom, if ever, be tighter (but you can show off the name on the rifle)
Beretta bought them at the same time because Sako already owned Tikka since the 80s

SDHNTR

WKR
I’m gonna go against the grain here. I come from the school where rifles are something you are proud to own. Craftsmanship matters. While, I’ve handled and shot too many to count, I’ll not spend my hard earned money on a Tikka (or Savage, or Ruger American, or other cheapo out there), I’ll keep saving for the Sako. Which I do own, and treasure. Yes, they are both equally accurate, on average. I just value something you are proud to carry in your hands. Something that contains no plastic. Something with the proper bolt length. Something that shows care in the fit and finish. Just me. Sako all the way. And no I’m not made of money.
I’m going to edit my own post here on this old thread. Since this post, I have changed my tune. While I still very much value fit and finish, the rifle needs to work! My previous thoughts do not apply to the Sako M85 and newer versions. The 85 and the obvious engineering flaws that cause the embarrassing ejection issues are such a shame. Sako doesn’t deserve any praise whatsoever. And the new S20 appears to be a Tikka in a different wrapper. Many similar cost saving measures to the design.

So if we are considering new offerings, go with a Tikka and save the money for a good scope.

k80Titus

FNG
I’m going to edit my own post here on this old thread. Since this post, I have changed my tune. While I still very much value fit and finish, the rifle needs to work! My previous thoughts do not apply to the Sako M85 and newer versions. The 85 and the obvious engineering flaws that cause the embarrassing ejection issues are such a shame. Sako doesn’t deserve any praise whatsoever. And the new S20 appears to be a Tikka in a different wrapper. Many similar cost saving measures to the design.

So if we are considering new offerings, go with a Tikka and save the money for a good scope.
Intersting have you looked at the sauer 100

MAP1

FNG
Anyone else notice this? My father has a Tikka in .308 and I was looking to pickup a second in .30-06 or .270, but maybe I'll pickup another .308 instead.
My 270 tikka feeds much better than my 6.5 CM shooting Nosler Partitions. Not an issue but I have to force the bolt a little harder to close.

philcox

WKR
A bit off tangent here, but does anyone know of the Sako and Tikka (300WM in particular) have the same COAL limitations?

Phil