Tikka vs Sako rifles

TauPhi111

WKR
I might have the opportunity to get a very good discount on a Tikka or Sako rifle later this year, and if I do I would like to get myself a nice, light weight mountain rifle. Can anyone expound upon the differences between Tikka and Sako rifles? Obviously Sako is a much higher end brand, but do those dollars translate to noticeable and measurable improvements in form, function, quality, and perfomance? I'm specifically considering the Tikka T3x Lite Compact and the Sako 85 Carbonlight, both in 308.

Some of the things I'm curious about: How is the synthetic stock on the Tikka? Is it a flimsy plastic stock or does it actually provide a rigid platform? How to the triggers compare between the T3x and the 85? Fit and finish between the two? Differences in how the actions function? Basically, what is the Sako getting me over the Tikka for 4x the price of the Tikka?

Eric4

Lil-Rokslider
The T3X platform operates on the same long action length, whereas Sako produces long and short action lengths. The Tikka in 308 would have a bolt stop that shortens the stroke.

Tikka's plastic stocks are high end, for a polymer/plastic, but I doubt are as stiff as a carbon stock.

I can't provide details on a trigger comparison, but I'm sure someone else can.

Based on an off the shelf purchase, this is Chevy versus Mercedes... dependent on model--they will both go fast but, quality AND speed is with the Mercedes (sako).

Last edited:
Handle the two for yourself and what would you rather carry and shoot. I can personally say I really like my carbonlight and I would get another

elkguide

WKR
Apples to oranges. Sako way more polished.

Tikkas do shoot and will get the job done but the Sako is a lot more for your money.

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider
Well Tikka is just a way Sako could lower the prices on rifles they build. Tikka stocks aren’t my favorite, but everything else on my tikka is awesome. Action is smooth, trigger is awesome, especially if you get the $10 trigger spring from mountain tactical (mountain tactical makes damn near everything aftermarket for tikka) and they are complete tack drivers out of the box. Buy a tikka, it’ll do everything you’d want it to, and with all the money you saved, buy a better optic and if you have anything left, pick up a manners or McMillan stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I recall they use the same barrel and trigger. Safety on the Sako is three position. Sako has expensive metal magazines. Overall fit and finish of the sako is much better. Not sure there is much of an aftermarket for Sako parts if you want to tinker.

FWOW my Tikkas shot like lasers. The stocks feel cheap but they work fine. If you search around here there are some threads on some very good looking aftermarket stocks.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
In addition to what has been said about the differences, Sakos have a 3 lug bolt as opposed to Tikkas 2 lug. The sakos action is tighter and more smooth in my experience. Check out the finnlight for a price in between the two you mentioned.

fatbacks

WKR
Huge fan of Tikkas. Their factory plastic stocks are garbage. Get a tikka and use the money saved to get a nice stock.

A factory Tikka with an aftermarket stock is about as good as it gets for what you’d spend on that combo IMO.

OP
TauPhi111

TauPhi111

WKR
Thanks for the input guys. I should have given a bit more info on what I am looking for. I have been looking for a nicer light mountain rifle. I would like it to be in the 5-5.5 lb range before optics since it will likely just be a 308 and not some huge magnum round. That said, the carbonlight is a pound lighter than even the light compact Tikka I was considering.

Anyone know the weight of the stocks on the compact lite or lite like of the Tikka T3x's? If I could drop the weight of the Tikka Lite Compact 308 from 6.2 lbs to around 5 with a Wildcat Composites ultralight stock, that would swing me more in that direction.

I was thinking it was time to get something really nice like a Sako, Barrett Fieldcraft, or something similar, but I've always been one to buy something more inexpensive and customize it. Maybe I'll end up doing that again. In the end, I'm sure the money will be better spent on tags and trips than on a nice rifle that doesn't shoot better than anything else.

I can not speak for the carbon light, but I have a T3X and a Sako Finbear Deluxe. The T3X functions perfectly and is as accurate as any rifle gets. Same for the Finbear. However, if your looking for fit and finish, the Finbear wins hands down. The only problem I have, is I have only hunted with the Finbear Deluxe once since I purchased it brand new in the early 80s. It's just too damn nice to beat up. But, I think you would be pleased with either of your choices.

Another vote for the tikka. My t3x superlite in 300 wm came in at 5 pounds 15 ounces on my scale. That said I haven’t owned a sako but don’t think I would with how well my tikkas shoot, don’t see the point in dumping a bunch more money on the sako.

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider
I guarantee you wouldn’t be upset if you went with this tikka superlight, with it being .4 lbs heavier, wen you could use all that saved money on a better light optic
eb463389f110f44e51e3c01e1c17feba.jpg

Singleshot

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Tikka t3x in 308 and a Sako Finnlight in 300 wsm. The scope mounting system on the Sako isn’t the best in my opinion and even though the Sako’s fit and finish are much better extra magazines are over $100 for that gun. If I had it to do over I’d ether go with the tikka and a nice aftermarket stock or look at some of the other high end bolt guns.

Well Tikka is just a way Sako could lower the prices on rifles they build. Tikka stocks aren’t my favorite, but everything else on my tikka is awesome. Action is smooth, trigger is awesome, especially if you get the $10 trigger spring from mountain tactical (mountain tactical makes damn near everything aftermarket for tikka) and they are complete tack drivers out of the box. Buy a tikka, it’ll do everything you’d want it to, and with all the money you saved, buy a better optic and if you have anything left, pick up a manners or McMillan stock.

FOR THE RECORD, Tikka was a stand alone gunbuilder as was Sako, Beretta USA bought them both at different times, now Tikka and Sako barrels are made side by side by Tikka and most all of the Sako smiths are/were trained or "further instructed" by Tikka smiths - Tikka stocks were designed by an Italian shotgun maker with specific details, then recently Redesigned to the T3X model (some clever details), these "plastic" stocks are as good, or better, than any "plastic" stock in the industry and you'll not find any tutorials of them ever failing (just like the Tikka magazines) I shoot Tikkas a lot, LOVE the Finnlite EXCEPT for that weird way the magazine comes out, a nonstarter for me - "bang for your buck" ? You'll pay noticeably more for a Sako but the groups will seldom, if ever, be tighter (but you can show off the name on the rifle)

Huge fan of Tikkas. Their factory plastic stocks are garbage. Get a tikka and use the money saved to get a nice stock.

A factory Tikka with an aftermarket stock is about as good as it gets for what you’d spend on that combo IMO.

just curious if you could give some data on the "garbage" Tikka stocks, failures or broken stocks and such ?

K

Kootenay Hunter

If you can get a used Sako for the price of a Tikka, go for it. Many Sako barrels are also fluted, so there's some weight less there, but they have more metal components.

I love my Tikkas, shoot much better than I do.

If you can get a used Sako for the price of a Tikka, go for it. Many Sako barrels are also fluted, so there's some weight less there, but they have more metal components.

I love my Tikkas, shoot much better than I do.
"fluted" barrels for BOTH are made by the same barrel makers/gunsmiths in the BERETTA USA owned factory