tikka weights

huntsd

WKR
Hey All,

I am debating whether to get a tikka t3 300wsm or 300wm this season. I was leaning towards the 300wsm as I thought the rifle would be a bit lighter. Tikkas website says both calibers weigh the same. Does this seem right? Anyone have insight on this?

Thanks!

Str8shtr

Lil-Rokslider
They're the same. Tikka short and long actions are the same. Only difference is the bolt stop. If you handload, the 300wsm allows you to seat bullets long if you convert to to LA.

Building on the point above, all tikkas are built on the same length action (long) but longer 300 WM bullets won’t work in the tikka due to the dimensions of the magazine. You should be fine with factory loads and hand loads until you start to load some heavy pills (higher than 180). Also, Many people also seem to object to the tikka 1:11 twist rates, particularly for magnums. Bottom line is that the tikka may not be the best fit for someone wanting to push the limits on 300 win mag performance. The 300 WSM alleviates the cartridge length issue but the twist rate remains 1:11 so still less than ideal in some minds. However, If you are looking for a more basic shooter, you could do a lot worse than tikka for the price.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Tikka changed twists to 1:10 on a bunch of their 30 cals. Just have to look on the barrel and it'll say 10" after the caliber

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Not a short mag but I do shoot a Tikka in .300 Win. Mag. Contrary to some opinions on the 11 twist mine shoots 180 TTSXs great. Over IMR 4831 @ 2940 fps it shoots lights out.That's 3 shots @ 100 yds.Measured .200 center to center and stays over 2000 fps out to 500 yards so well above Barnes expansion threshold and the bullets are readily available still.Been reading posts on rokslide for years .Thot I'd try posting something.My apologies if it doesn't turn out well.Not a computer pro LOL...300 win mag group.jpg

DCT1983

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot a T3x light in 300 wm and what was mentioned above about the mag length is very true. It’s still shoots 180 TSXs under 1/2” groups though. Only thing I’m not a huge fan of is the recoil being the gun is so light.

The recoil is stout for sure but manageable. When I'm climbing Idaho mountains with a pack a couple extra pounds in a rifle seems like a ton. Trade offs for everything I suppose. For what it's worth I killed a cow last year with the same rifle and 180 Accubonds. 490 yards and bullet performance was great. She just stumbled around a few seconds then hit the ground. I got them to shoot 1 inch groups but nothing like the TTSX. A Little over my max range but simply ran out cover and had plenty of time to set up,range,adjust etc.