Tikka wood stock - why not?

Besides a Marlin 60 .22 rifle, I've never owned a rifle with a wooden stock. I've been considering picking up a 243 for both me and the wife to shoot, and she really liked the Tikka Hunter we saw at Scheels. The Hunter is the model with the wood stock. It certainly is a nicer looking rifle than the synthetic stocked Tikka, but I am hesitant to go with something made of wood.

When people talk about point of impact changes with wood stocks over time, how dramatic of changes are we talking about? How much can these changes be prevented with a good bedding job and a free floating barrel?

I'm not attached to the Hunter model, and I think both me and my wife will enjoy a less gun that shoots well more than a pretty one with issues. But if a wood stocked Tikka can make for a good hunting rifle, then I would probably want to pick one up.

Spoonbill

WKR
Besides a Marlin 60 .22 rifle, I've never owned a rifle with a wooden stock. I've been considering picking up a 243 for both me and the wife to shoot, and she really liked the Tikka Hunter we saw at Scheels. The Hunter is the model with the wood stock. It certainly is a nicer looking rifle than the synthetic stocked Tikka, but I am hesitant to go with something made of wood.

When people talk about point of impact changes with wood stocks over time, how dramatic of changes are we talking about? How much can these changes be prevented with a good bedding job and a free floating barrel?

I'm not attached to the Hunter model, and I think both me and my wife will enjoy a less gun that shoots well more than a pretty one with issues. But if a wood stocked Tikka can make for a good hunting rifle, then I would probably want to pick one up.
I wouldnt worry about it, millions of woodstocked rifles have been killing just fine.

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
Wood works, but it requires maintenance...like any other part of your rifle. If leaving it sitting in your shed until you need it or on the floorboards in your truck is your style, synthetic is your thing. If you plan on being truly out in the wild for extended periods that will make it legitimately difficult to maintain a wood stock, a synthetic stock is your thing.

You can always go for wood or buy a nice looking synthetic after the fact if the looks rankle down the road.

Spoonbill

WKR
I don't want to be laughed at...
I’m not married but I am wise enough to know if your wife likes it you should buy it. Then when you get laughed at you have the all powerful excuse of “ it’s what my wife wanted.”

People buy donor Tikkas all the time and sell the plastic stock for <$100. You can have the best of both worlds.

I have to admit that I have thought about buying a wood stocked rifle just because they are pretty but I always talk myself out of it. I’m just too practical and I know I would be sick after the first scratch. When I clean my rifles after season is over I bring the stock to the utility sink and wash it with dishwashing detergent with a soft brush. Blow it dry with the air hose and let sit overnight before reassembling. But those wood stocked rifles are pretty!

16Bore

WKR
I’ve soaked plenty of wood/blued rifles for sure. Personally, and personally only...Tikka and wood doesn’t mix for me. Winchester and wood is a different story.

Get a solo hunter cover if need be. Either way man, satisfy your wants.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I bought my daughter a t3 lite, She didn't like the black synthetic stock so picked up the Tikka wood stock then it was all smiles. There are very few places I'd truly worried about taking a wood stock hunting.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

TxxAgg

WKR
It's hard for my brain to digest wood stocks paired with polymer mags. Tikkas are awesome but go synthetic.

Last edited:
OP
W
I wouldn't be afraid of scratching it up. I think the wood stocked Tikkas look good, but it's not too fancy to get used and abused.

280rem

FNG
The wood stock and stainless Tika is a beautiful gun, got one in 6.5x55 (the original 6.5 lol) I would go with wood, unless you spend much time hunting in extreme wet conditions such as hunting in Alaska or elsewhere that can have a very wet environment. I still even took a wood stocked rifle on a Dall Sheep Hunt. Have we really gotten to the point that a wood stocked rifle is looked down upon and not even considered worth having........god help us! To me synthetic stocks look a little less ridiculous than skinny jeans on a man.....but not a lot less. Lol

kevlar88

Lil-Rokslider
I currently live and hunt in Germany where, in the winter months, it is raining more often then not. All of the rifles I have here wear a wood stock.

Been using a Tikka Forest (wood stock) for 3 years now. Shoots 0.75 MOA with factory loads. Deer haven't cared if it's wood or synthetic. They just don't like it!

OP
W
Thanks everyone. I think a Tikka Hunter in 243 might be in my future. I wish they had one in 6mm creedmoor, but the Tikka should be able to shoot a pretty good selection of hunting bullets even with its 1-10 twist. With a pretty wood stock, I think my wife will really enjoy it .... and that's gonna be my excuse for buying it.

wwy

FNG
I've got the hunter model in 6.5 x 55 and it is my most used rifle, in all conditions. It works just fine.