Tikkas are boring.

Jellymon1

Lil-Rokslider
Just went to the range to start practicing and verify my zero for the upcoming bear season. It’s a T3x 30/06 with a 3.5-10x40 leupy varix3i. 168g Berger vld Hunter in front of 56g of IMR 4350. Last time I fired it was last august when I shot a good boar down in a crap hole in a 45* slope clearcut a couple miles from camp and about 3.5 miles from the truck. So on the pack out the rifle got beat up a little bit. I Archery and muzzy hunted the rest of the year.

Anyway, first shot was 1 1/4” high at 100yds, right where I left it. The next two made about a 7/8” group. At 300yds my rifle hits right behind the little triangle where the scope reticle goes from thick to thin. First shot dead center, half inch low. Second shot 1 3/4” right. Third shot was within 1/2” of the first. So sub 2” at 300. 400yds no dial, hold high where I’ve practiced, both shots within 4” centered on the 10x10 metal plate. Didn't have to touch the scope once.

Nothing gives this Hunter confidence like a consistent rifle. Tikkas are boring.

Last edited:
Ha! I’ve got entirely too many rifles already but have yet to own a Tikka. With all the positive press lately, I’m just gonna have to buy one. They sound like awesome shootin’ irons.

Tikkas are boring...except for that incredibly smooth action! Most recently it performed flawlessly cycling a magazine full of 30-06 rounds at a wounded whitetail running through the timber (got him...and wasn’t responsible for the initial wounding lol). Someone nearby commented that it sounded like a semi auto.
Butter smooth and exciting as hell I’d say.

16Bore

WKR
But then you gotta shoot a dozen 10 shot groups. Then upside down, then with your finger in your nose. Then when it’s 30 degrees colder. Then when it’s dirty. Then 30 degrees warmer. Then off a pack, then a stump, the off your knees. Then with gloves on. Then with a hat on. Then with tape on the barrel.

Then enter it all into a spreadsheet to get a statisical analysis of really what’s going on.

But then you gotta shoot a dozen 10 shot groups. Then upside down, then with your finger in your nose. Then when it’s 30 degrees colder. Then when it’s dirty. Then 30 degrees warmer. Then off a pack, then a stump, the off your knees. Then with gloves on. Then with a hat on. Then with tape on the barrel.

Then enter it all into a spreadsheet to get a statisical analysis of really what’s going on.

Thanks for letting us live rent free inside your head.

hodgeman

WKR

Yeah...that isn't nearly enough shooting to get a good idea. I had a buddy recently tell me my pet rifle isn't as good as I think it is. I mean, I've practically got to ratchet strap the lid closed on my 30CF chest freezer for all the dead animals stuffed inside it...but that rifle must actually suck.

mmanincor

Lil-Rokslider
I like boring. I have 5 of them. 3 shoot great, 1 I haven't shot yet and the other well it is still a work in progress. Just haven't found the right bullet combo yet. But having a blast trying.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Ha! I’ve got entirely too many rifles already but have yet to own a Tikka. With all the positive press lately, I’m just gonna have to buy one. They sound like awesome shootin’ irons.

Yeah, same here. I've got my eye on the one of the new "roughtech" versions

I’ve got a boring one too, in 300 win. Took it out Sunday after having a muzzle brake installed to see how it shot. Recoil is damn near non existent now. It shot Barnes factory 165 ttsx into 5/8, Doubletap ammo with Barnes 175 lrx into 3/4. I finished up with some cheap 180 cor-lokt which I can’t even use to hunt here in California into a tiny little 1/2 group with a smoking hot barrel.

Rich M

WKR
I've got a model 70 that does basically the same thing - shoots an inch at 250. It's nice to have guns that go boom and shoot tight groups.

Trees91

WKR
I slapped a 6mm creed prefit on mine trying to spice it up. First 3 out of a new barrel went well under an inch. Turns out it’s still just a boring tikka.

16Bore

WKR
I slapped a 6mm creed prefit on mine trying to spice it up. First 3 out of a new barrel went well under an inch. Turns out it’s still just a boring tikka.

Well don’t leave us hanging, details!

They should call them Tizzzzzzza 😴

Trees91

WKR
Well don’t leave us hanging, details!

They should call them Tizzzzzzza 😴
I’ll have to get some pictures of it, I’m bad at remembering to take them at the range. Stainless proof research T3 lite contour 24”
1-7.5 twist. In the factory stock for the moment till I find a deal on a used manners or McMillan.

16Bore

WKR
Did you install the barrel yourself?

I’ve got a T3 1:8 223, RAR 243, and T3 ‘06

T3 6CM would certainly put some love in the middle of my stack.

Trees91

WKR
Yes and no. I went my my buddies who is a smith and used his tools. Used an outside action wrench to pull the old barrel and a inside wrench and torque wrench to install the new barrel. If you had wrenches and a vise it is a very straight forward process. I’m thinking I’m going to get the tooling to do it, I have a bighorn that can have prefits installed as well so I could get some use out of a vise.

16Bore

WKR
Eh, can’t say the tooling is something I want hanging around, but I’ve got a SWFA 6x and mounts that need something to ride on.

6CM certainly seems like a doozie...

4738F652-931D-41DF-98B9-42C8EA0CF7D1.jpeg
Typical boring tikka, 6.5 creed, $460 brand new. Very first sight in group. That’s 7 shots in the pic. The two furthest from the dot were sight corrections. 147eldm, lapua srp, rl-26.