"Tikka's just don't shoot good" - Gunwerks podcast

No sir.

I remove the stock contact points and truly free float the barrel- no dollar bill nonsense. Degrease like a boss, loctite, 65in-lbs. Have had no problems with a bunch of them.

Thinking about doing this with my factory stock. How much float would a superlite .30 Cal barrel need in this stock? 1/16"? 1/8"?

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think there's anything wrong with Tikkas. There's probably nothing wrong with Gunwerks either (never held one in my hands). Seems like both are more than adequate and will do the job they are designed for. One is a base model Honda CRV, the other is a top of the line Hummer.

Do you really need the Hummer? Of course not. Everyone buys what they like and that they can afford. Some even overextend themselves because they think anything less than the most expensive is inferior. Others buy because they are insecure and base their self worth on brands and material possessions. Others have a lot of expendable income and want high quality and are willing to pay for it and buying a $4,000-$10,000 is a drop in the bucket financially. Others may want high quality but also don't want to spend as much or simply can't afford to shell out more than several hundred bucks, have a limited amount of disposable income, are new to the sport and have a bunch of other gear to purchase, or they do have a ton of money but are frugal (which is why they have a ton of money) and don't always equate spending more to being a better product.

There's no right or wrong answers. Just buy the best rifle you cant buy within your budget/you're willing to shell out and spend as much time using it and getting out into the woods, hills, mountains, wherever it is that you hunt and enjoy yourself.

I think it also depends what you're buying the rifle for and comparing an out of the box Gunwerks rifle to a Tikka rifle isn't a fir comparison. Sure, you can get sub MOA performance from both right out of the box, but how well is that Tikka going to shoot at 1,000 yards out of the box? After a few adjustments the Gunwerks rifle will be shooting more accurate when it seems like with the Tikka it's going to be a very long process (and expensive one) replacing everything on that gun and a lot more time and trial and error to get similar results. I guess there's a price you pay for time and convenience. But then again, some people like the process of "building" and customizing a Tikka and dont care how much they've put into a relatively cheap off the shelf rifle. Some are into just going out and hunting and have no aspirations of long distance shooting.

So it's more a matter of picking the right tool for the job and your intended use, and the one that fits within your budget and not really caring about what someone on a podcast says.

JGRaider

WKR
Scooter says.....

"After a few adjustments the Gunwerks rifle will be shooting more accurate when it seems like with the Tikka it's going to be a very long process (and expensive one) replacing everything on that gun and a lot more time and trial and error to get similar results. "

IME you couldn't be more off base. Where are you coming up with this? Tikkas could be the least finicky rifle you will ever own, regardless of price.

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
Scooter says.....

"After a few adjustments the Gunwerks rifle will be shooting more accurate when it seems like with the Tikka it's going to be a very long process (and expensive one) replacing everything on that gun and a lot more time and trial and error to get similar results. "

IME you couldn't be more off base. Where are you coming up with this? Tikkas could be the least finicky rifle you will ever own, regardless of price.

You only quoted a portion of what I wrote and did not include the sentence right before. What you failed to also include was that part about taking the rifle out the box, shooting and being accurate at 1,000 yards. Next time quote the whole thing, not just a select sentence or two and then try to say I am claiming something I'm not.

I have no personal relationship with or desire to own or be able to justify/afford owning a rifle from Gunwerks.

You only quoted a portion of what I wrote and did not include the sentence right before. What you failed to also include was that part about taking the rifle out the box, shooting and being accurate at 1,000 yards. Next time quote the whole thing, not just a select sentence or two and then try to say I am claiming something I'm not.

I have no personal relationship with or desire to own or be able to justify/afford owning a rifle from Gunwerks.

You’re still off base.

I have a SL Creedmoor that I threw a NF on, with factory 147 loads can punch out to 1k with consistency. Factory stock. I put a trigger spring in. That’s it.

Even if you have to replace the stock and barrel on a tikka, you’re still over $5000 ahead of the Gunwerks. That’s a lot of hunting that can be done.

Im sure they’re good rifles, I’m not doubting that for a second. At that price they better be... but you can’t say they’re not insanely overpriced for what you get.

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
You’re still off base.

I have a SL Creedmoor that I threw a NF on, with factory 147 loads can punch out to 1k with consistency. Factory stock. I put a trigger spring in. That’s it.

Even if you have to replace the stock and barrel on a tikka, you’re still over $5000 ahead of the Gunwerks. That’s a lot of hunting that can be done.

Im sure they’re good rifles, I’m not doubting that for a second. At that price they better be... but you can’t say they’re not insanely overpriced for what you get.

There's the budget Tikkas, the very expensive Gunwerks rifles and a bunch of stuff in between.

Someone like you thinks the Tikkas are great values and totally adequate while another person might think they're cheap feeling and although very affordable not worth the money. Some think rifles from Gunwerks are a total scam and way overpriced for what you get while there are others who apparently love them, dont blink an eye at the price of admission and own more than one.

Nobody is right or wrong. My reasons for passing on the Tikka and getting something else may have been the exact reasons you or someone else went with one.

R_burg

WKR
There's the budget Tikkas, the very expensive Gunwerks rifles and a bunch of stuff in between.

Someone like you thinks the Tikkas are great values and totally adequate while another person might think they're cheap feeling and although very affordable not worth the money. Some think rifles from Gunwerks are a total scam and way overpriced for what you get while there are others who apparently love them, dont blink an eye at the price of admission and own more than one.

Nobody is right or wrong. My reasons for passing on the Tikka and getting something else may have been the exact reasons you or someone else went with one.
So if you have no experience with either, is your point just that you wanted to post?

I think it would be pretty tough to argue Tikka's don't have the best OEM action, I guess other than a Sako TRG. That and the decent barrels you are getting (better than decent on the CTR/Varmint) is the main reason to buy them. Although my CTR stock is perfectly adequate and I moved it over to my hunting gun when I put some other Tikka's in chassis systems.

Fatcamp

WKR
So if you have no experience with either, is your point just that you wanted to post?

I think it would be pretty tough to argue Tikka's don't have the best OEM action, I guess other than a Sako TRG. That and the decent barrels you are getting (better than decent on the CTR/Varmint) is the main reason to buy them. Although my CTR stock is perfectly adequate and I moved it over to my hunting gun when I put some other Tikka's in chassis systems.

Was your CTR stock a direct swap to your T3? Got pictures?

Fatcamp

WKR
Yeah, its the same exact gun. Google a Tikka T3x CTR - now imagine it with a T3x lite pencil barrel. :)

Google tells me the T3X is a direct swap. When I researched it before the T3 required mods to work. I award you the internet for a day, kind sir. 👍

R_burg

WKR
Google tells me the T3X is a direct swap. When I researched it before the T3 required mods to work. I award you the internet for a day, kind sir. 👍
For what its worth - Mine was a T3x to a T3x - not a T3. But its the same exact action. The CTR stock will have an upgraded (steel) recoil lug which is good.

Fatcamp

WKR
For what its worth - Mine was a T3x to a T3x - not a T3. But its the same exact action. The CTR stock will have an upgraded (steel) recoil lug which is good.
I think it was the T3 CTR that made mods required, or at least that's what I gathered from the cool kids.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
It’s weird because Sako could have easily priced the T3s higher than they did when they brought them over...

Now people who are new to guns think they are a “budget” rifle when really, other than the factory stock, they are the best mass produced rifle available right now. As an example, they are a much better rifle than anything from Christensen in just about all regards and new gun guys think of those as “premium” rifles.

Throw a new stock and a trigger spring on a T3X and you have an incredible rifle.

It’s weird because Sako could have easily priced the T3s higher than they did when they brought them over...

Now people who are new to guns think they are a “budget” rifle when really, other than the factory stock, they are the best mass produced rifle available right now. As an example, they are a much better rifle than anything from Christensen in just about all regards and new gun guys think of those as “premium” rifles.

Throw a new stock and a trigger spring on a T3X and you have an incredible rifle.

That's what I did. I want to see someone proficient shoot my rifle so I can see it's true capability 😂

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Thinking about doing this with my factory stock. How much float would a superlite .30 Cal barrel need in this stock? 1/16"? 1/8"?

Either bedded tight, or really free floated. Like toss a cat through it. I want no chance of incidental contact. A good 1/8” should do it.